Single mom with only child

karab123

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I am wondering if any other single parents will be at Disney World the week if July 19, 2015? I have an only child ...... 9 year old boy and would love to try to coordinate some kid play time! Pool or rides or whatever!

Hello!

I'm sorry, we aren't traveling to WDW that weekend. DS is only a year old anyway. So, he wouldn't be a suitable playmate for your DS. However, I wanted to say hello.

Hopefully someone on here will be at WDW that weekend and are open to meeting up.

Enjoy your time with the Mouse.

Another single mom here with an only child (10 year old boy). We won't be back to WDW for a while, but I feel your pain. My son LOVED cruising, for this very reason...he got to meet and interact with other kids. He enjoyed it so much that he requested a second cruise for his birthday in December. We also did an Adventures By Disney trip specifically so there would be other kids for him to interact with (and adults for me to talk to!)

I started traveling to DW when my daughter was about 6 as a single Dad. She was very anti social when we started doing this but she opened up more and more each trip and most of it happened at the pools. We would come home and she still would be shy but she never had a problem making friends at the resort pools. This has now carried over to our last 3 years on DCL. Just realize you and your child are not alone, I used to travel to WDW with my buddy every year (when his wife let him get away) but I think I enjoy my solo with child trips more now because it forces me to meet people and I have never found it easier than at Disney. I will going on my 4th Disney cruise this year with a lady I met on my 1st (who is just another single solo parent).

Its hard when you have only one because they don't have any built in playmates isn't it. My DD13 has gone through the same thing! Good luck!

I am a single mom with an 11 year old son. We travel alone to WDW at least once a year--our next trip is in 30 days! (August 15-31, WDW, DCL and Universal). I find our trips to be a great time to reconnect, after all the craziness of work/school/sports etc throughout the year. This will be our first time on DCL, and I'm sure my son will like the interaction there with the other kids, but I find one of the great things about Disney is I don't feel awkward traveling alone with my child, we both have so much fun and most people are so friendly (on the buses, in lines, etc.). We always end up meeting and talking to other families and my son always finds a friend his age at the pools to play with too. To the OP, I wish our trips were overlapping, I totally would be up for coordinating a meet!

I am a single mom with an 11 year old son. We travel alone to WDW at least once a year--our next trip is in 30 days! (August 15-31, WDW, DCL and Universal). I find our trips to be a great time to reconnect, after all the craziness of work/school/sports etc throughout the year. This will be our first time on DCL, and I'm sure my son will like the interaction there with the other kids, but I find one of the great things about Disney is I don't feel awkward traveling alone with my child, we both have so much fun and most people are so friendly (on the buses, in lines, etc.). We always end up meeting and talking to other families and my son always finds a friend his age at the pools to play with too. To the OP, I wish our trips were overlapping, I totally would be up for coordinating a meet!

Another single mom chiming in. SuddenlyObsessed, I'd be so interested to hear how you find DCL, I've heard they even do events especially for single parents...keep me posted.

I'll be at the parks as well the 22-26th August. Depending on where you are staying Karab 123 you might want to look at one of kids' clubs for your son. Several of the deluxe resorts have them. Its like a babysitting service but in a designated room at the resort so there's an opportunity to meet other kids. You pay $15.00 and hour with a two hour minimum. The cool thing about this is that it frees you up to have a bit of alone time. Other than that have a look at the activity calendars at the resort you are staying at. Disney's so good with setting up activities for the kids. My daughter spent one afternoon doing the Disney JR pool party at WL and made some great friends.

Hi! I'm a single mom with a soon to be 7 year old son. We arrive on Tuesday (7/21) and will be at the poly for two nights then the beach club. Will you guys still be around? Where?

I absolutely feel your pain. (This forum is so enlightening). I always feel like an odd-man-out. My 9 year old son is an only child and it's so hard for him. We are going to SWW in May 2016

We should start a thread with dates of trips in case people are interested in meet-ups. I'll check others for a format, and start one.

We should start a thread with dates of trips in case people are interested in meet-ups. I'll check others for a format, and start one.

That sounds great! I've wanted a Single Parents Disney Vacation Meet Area (similar to the Cruise Meets). It will be nice to know other single parents traveling on the same cruise, staying at the same resorts, visiting the same parks, etc. at the same time.

I agree. It would let our kids have someone to play with while the grown ups can sit and chat. I say it should happen in Epcot so we can have wine lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts