Sister Wives

i'm now seeing on-line where they bought the property, 3 of the wives are renting but christine is in a home she's already purchased. so how does that even make sense with their long term plans?

That's what I was wondering also.
Will Christine then have to sell the house she is living in when they build on the vacant land?

That's what I was wondering also.
Will Christine then have to sell the house she is living in when they build on the vacant land?

the more i think about it i wonder if there's something going on with their finances such that they may have bought it to shelter some money.

there's been talk in the media about how the rush on moving might have been in part due to some balloon payments on the vegas homes coming due, and we know there's been financial issues prior to the vegas move (they all had to clean up their respective credit histories and do some creative financing to qualify for those homes) as well as since they moved there (at one point their was a lien on robyn's house due to unpaid medical bills). depending on how much ACTUAL equity vs. debt they have with those homes (may be mortgaged/home equity loaned to the hilt) it may be a very complex house of cards that could see letting one or more go to foreclosure or once again using bankruptcy (i think all 4 wives have filed at one time or another). it might be that by pouring all their liquid monies into one home it could protect it from creditors.

Maybe they had to agree to terrible terms in their current homes to get the mortgages, and now enough time has passed for their credit histories to clear. But still, if they're not downsizing, why not just refinance and stay put? This clearly wasn't about Kody needing to move to Utah.

why not just refinance and stay put?

they may not qualify. it's a whole lot different doing a refi on 4 individual homes vs. buying bare dirt (and i kind of wonder if that might have been owner financed since part of the negotiations involved how much they would put down-that's nothing that's ever entered into negotiations when we've bought or sold property). if they bought the homes under some kind of creative interest only payment w/a balloon loan none of them may have the means to qualify for what a refinanced traditional payment would run them.

I'd like the show to give more details for us. If they want to educate the public on their lifestyle, lets talk about the real situation of having four wives and a gazillion children to raise. I'm sure they agreed to the show, in part, so they won't be so stigmatized...get the public more familiar with their alternative lifestyles of choice...but let's get real about the REAL challenges, not just the fluff pieces they want to show. And granted, we can all see that the emotional piece of four women sharing one husband isn't easy or ideal, and in a way, they are sort of in denial about the other relationships. And...I have no idea about their religious beliefs because they don't really talk about why they think "the lord" wants them to live this lifestyle. I need more details!

they may not qualify. it's a whole lot different doing a refi on 4 individual homes vs. buying bare dirt (and i kind of wonder if that might have been owner financed since part of the negotiations involved how much they would put down-that's nothing that's ever entered into negotiations when we've bought or sold property). if they bought the homes under some kind of creative interest only payment w/a balloon loan none of them may have the means to qualify for what a refinanced traditional payment would run them.
I'm confused. Then how would they expect to qualify for mortgages to build houses on the bare dirt?

I'm confused. Then how would they expect to qualify for mortgages to build houses on the bare dirt?

it could just be wishful (or entirely unrealistic) thinking. it's not unusual for people to buy bare land with the intent to build and when they find out the cost/time it never happens. i can't keep track of the bare land properties out near us that people buy with every intent to build. they drive out and walk their 'land', talk about plans to break ground then it gets put off, then the visits become less frequent, then after a few years of paying on it and nothing happening they list it and it happens all over. we have lots near us (stunning w/hooked up utilities in place-unlike what the browns will have to pay a pretty penny to do) that have had multiple owners over the past 20 odd years.

Me too...and what about the bankruptcy, it takes like 7 years to be able to reestablish credit?
I thought about that too, thinking it takes 7 years maybe? And they bought the houses 7 years ago, so it should be gone now. But I have no idea how many years before buying those houses they declared (I think several of them have)>

What a financial quagmire! Anyway, I'm addicted to the show. Been watching it for years.

What a financial quagmire! Anyway, I'm addicted to the show. Been watching it for years.
Ultimately it's a big issue for polygamy in general. If you want to have a lot of kids, it often doesn't pay for both parents to work. But if one of the parents also has other wives with a bunch of other kids, how do you pay for it all?

Of course the Browns' situation is different because of the income from the show, but their standard of living has gone up right along with that income.

Ultimately it's a big issue for polygamy in general. If you want to have a lot of kids, it often doesn't pay for both parents to work. But if one of the parents also has other wives with a bunch of other kids, how do you pay for it all?

Of course the Browns' situation is different because of the income from the show, but their standard of living has gone up right along with that income.
Very true...they all have beautiful homes. Mary in that giant house is ridiculous. They should throw her into a mother-in-law type of apartment built onto one of the other wives new homes. And with Janelle not having any more small children, they could do an addition onto Robin or Christine's house, with say two bedrooms. This would save them from having to build 4 new homes. Since they are supposed to be sister wives, and helping each other with their "group" children, they shouldn't be so selfish...after all...they say they have the blessing of the lord.

Very true...they all have beautiful homes. Mary in that giant house is ridiculous. They should throw her into a mother-in-law type of apartment built onto one of the other wives new homes. And with Janelle not having any more small children, they could do an addition onto Robin or Christine's house, with say two bedrooms. This would save them from having to build 4 new homes. Since they are supposed to be sister wives, and helping each other with their "group" children, they shouldn't be so selfish...after all...they say they have the blessing of the lord.
I think they lost the true "sister wife" mentality somewhere over the years. I've said all along in this thread that if Meri really believed in the Sister Wife lifestyle, she wouldn't be complaining about her empty nest, she'd be helping out with her "other kids".

I think they lost the true "sister wife" mentality somewhere over the years. I've said all along in this thread that if Meri really believed in the Sister Wife lifestyle, she wouldn't be complaining about her empty nest, she'd be helping out with her "other kids".
Absolutely right...I agree. Mary is so disconnected, yet she wants to believe she isn't. Her face tells it all!

So I’m watching what I think is the latest episode. Kody is talking about how Robyn needs a house 5x larger than anyone else, blah blah blah. I noticed how he talked about where the married kids were going, he listed all BUT Mlykelti and Tony. I did see To y stuffing his face at the last get-to-get her though. Strange

Cracked up at Meri's RV idea. So crazy, but practical. Sounds like a possibility for her and Janell as they transition to Arizona as almost empty nesters.

I think they need 5 houses.

One for each wife and a community/guest house with a big kitchen, gathering space and a couple of bedrooms for adult children and the wive's parents to come visit.

I do agree that 3500 square feet for Robyn is extravagant and unfair. Sounds like Kody expects Day'on to live there for a long time.

Will be really interesting to see how the wives react to the house ideas.

Last edited:
I recently started watching this show, never thought I would, but don't watch the other polygamy ones. Some things I've been trying to see is how in the heck did they afford those beautiful large homes? How do they support all those kids? What does Cody do? Doesn't one of the ladies run a business? They obviously get money from this show but seems strange. So many unanswered questions and now they take off running again moving. I think last episode said they moved was it 17 times or 14 times whatever. Crazy

Last edited:
CAn you imagine your husband of 20 years coming home and saying "Guess what, I'm in love. She's way younger (and thinner) than you. I know your feelings are hurt, but she's great and you'll get used to her. I'm going to marry her, and I'd like you to watch her kids while I take her on a romantic honeymoon. Okay?"

So disgustingly sexist. I would love to see an episode where the women do it lol.

Cody is nuts if he thinks that the wives are going to go for his 'one house' idea. I saw a glimpse of the blueprint from next week's episode. I sure wouldn't want to live in that thing. If he is going to have 4 wives, then they each need their own houses. I still have never figured out what he does for a living either. He never seems to be working??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!