Sister Wives

Those kids are the most spoiled, obnoxious kids on television. JMHO. I like Jen, and Bill has grown on me, but those kids are not fun to watch. I am a little curious what they will be like in 10 years.

The whole bit with Kody trying to design a house for everyone is total crap and no way anything else but them trying to make their story more interesting. Never going to happen. It should be the way they HAVE to live, but now they are all used to living separately and they won't stand for it. Him trying to divide the square footage between the wives was a joke. Robin does not need 6 bedrooms, are her kids never going to leave? Do all the kids need their own bedrooms? I would say at least half of the kids in this country share a bedroom with a sibling. This family is something else. Entitled much?

Why is Kody hyperfocused on not seeing his children during this transition. Isn't that the way it usually is, he spends a day or two at each house and keeps rotating? If he wants to go visit another house is that just not allowed? Geez!!! I feel so bad for him. And him wanting them all to move in 16 days was really funny. I can't imagine moving myself in that much time let alone trying to get 4 houses all packed up and moved. This whole moving situation is very strange. I would love to know what's really driving this.

I wondered if he wanted extra bedrooms for Robin because they are planning to have more kids and he just didn’t want to say it on tv.

I think that talk nicely summed up the weirdness of the move. I do think it's unreasonable for a grown woman (grown enough to be married) to be so fixated on her parents' move. I mean, she can move but they can't? But she raised great questions, ones the viewers have, and ones any reasonable person watching would have.

The "done with Vegas" thing just rings so untrue. If they had issues with Vegas, it would have come up before this.

I keep thinking the "single woman" thing was just inserted to add some drama. I mean, she had to qualify as a single woman, so surely it didn't come as a shock to see it on the document. Isn't she a real estate agent? Then yeah, that wasn't a shock.

I mentioned this before but I do understand why they all the sudden decided to move. One of the wives mentioned the Las Vegas shooting as a reason it wasn’t a good place to raise kids. I’d want to move to a safer place after that.

I mentioned this before but I do understand why they all the sudden decided to move. One of the wives mentioned the Las Vegas shooting as a reason it wasn’t a good place to raise kids. I’d want to move to a safer place after that.
I'm just saying that happened a while ago and I have never heard them mention it in the show at all. Not even hint at it. Of course maybe they had that discussion behind the scenes but I'm still not buying it as a primary reason.

I don't understand the idea of NOT wanting to live together. Isn't that the whole purpose of the plural marriage? The idea of one big family all living together, supporting each other and helping to raise all the kids? I also watch the other polygamy show, Seeking Sister Wife, and they all either currently or plan to live all together in the same house. I don't see how living in separate houses is anything but being a single mom and sharing your husband.

I'm just saying that happened a while ago and I have never heard them mention it in the show at all. Not even hint at it. Of course maybe they had that discussion behind the scenes but I'm still not buying it as a primary reason.

Because they dont care about anyone but themselves. With that many grown kids and adults, have they ever had an episode showing them doing any charity work? Fundraising for a good cause? My 3 help clean up the city on earth day, fill backpacks for kids who need them at the start of school, and volunteer helping the local food pantry. If I had 20 kids, lived in Vegas and a hit TV show I would be volunteering any way I could to help the victims of the shooting, not running from the city.

I just quickly googled to see if they actually have done any charity work. Didnt find anything, but came across this from In Touch Weekly.

This season will be their last. Sources revealed to Life & Style that TLC will be canceling their longrunning reality TV series Sister Wives Opens a New Window. after Season 12 since Kody Brown Opens a New Window. and his polygamous family is currently failing to pull in ratings.

Maybe they are moving because their show is cancelled and they can no longer afford the 4 homes OR...maybe they are not moving at all, but want people to think they care so the can continue in NV without too many looky lous ??

I was going to ask how this guy isn't in jail, but apparently the county they live in doesn't, in general, pursue polygamy if there are no other crimes going on.

https://jezebel.com/why-sister-wives-hasnt-resulted-in-a-polygamy-convictio-5914945

The polygamists that live on a compound and abuse children, they should be pursued legally. But I don’t see why the Browns should be afraid to live openly as polygamists since they appear to be decent parents.

I get what you are saying. Flagstaff would be so much better than Vegas to me. I love to visit Vegas, but I definitely wouldn’t want to live there and raise kids.

Some people just like to move around. My husband is kinda like that. Every 5-10 years he’s ready to move somewhere different. Our last move nearly ended our marriage. I had a great job, loved my house, had good friends and he decided he was ready to put in for a promotion in another part of the state.

I wondered if he wanted extra bedrooms for Robin because they are planning to have more kids and he just didn’t want to say it on tv.

I really don't think that's the reason. Kody said he never intended for them to stay in Las Vegas. Who knows.

I don't understand the idea of NOT wanting to live together. Isn't that the whole purpose of the plural marriage? The idea of one big family all living together, supporting each other and helping to raise all the kids? I also watch the other polygamy show, Seeking Sister Wife, and they all either currently or plan to live all together in the same house. I don't see how living in separate houses is anything but being a single mom and sharing your husband.
I've thought this myself, but they seem to have a thing about affection in front of each other. They don't even like to talk on the phone with Kody, if the other wives are there. I think it's like putting up a barrier between them, keeping them separated so they can feel like his only wife, and not think about what he's doing with the other wives. It doesn't make sense but in a way it does. And yes, the idea of being one big family is what they like about it. It's like having built in help you don't have to pay for. I'm not sure how much they do help each other out, accept when they have their big get togethers for a meal or some type celebration, and for more financial stability (although I question the $ part). And I also watch Seeking Sister Wife, and the one couple, where the wife is backing out now that she realizes her husband is going to woo, fall in love and sleep with another woman, she's rethinking the whole thing.

Because they dont care about anyone but themselves. With that many grown kids and adults, have they ever had an episode showing them doing any charity work? Fundraising for a good cause? My 3 help clean up the city on earth day, fill backpacks for kids who need them at the start of school, and volunteer helping the local food pantry. If I had 20 kids, lived in Vegas and a hit TV show I would be volunteering any way I could to help the victims of the shooting, not running from the city.

I just quickly googled to see if they actually have done any charity work. Didnt find anything, but came across this from In Touch Weekly.

This season will be their last. Sources revealed to Life & Style that TLC will be canceling their longrunning reality TV series Sister Wives Opens a New Window. after Season 12 since Kody Brown Opens a New Window. and his polygamous family is currently failing to pull in ratings.

Maybe they are moving because their show is cancelled and they can no longer afford the 4 homes OR...maybe they are not moving at all, but want people to think they care so the can continue in NV without too many looky lous ??
Awe...I love the show, even though I can be critical of some of their decisions. I would like to know more about their beliefs, I'm going to do some research on it.

I get what you are saying. Flagstaff would be so much better than Vegas to me. I love to visit Vegas, but I definitely wouldn’t want to live there and raise kids.

Some people just like to move around. My husband is kinda like that. Every 5-10 years he’s ready to move somewhere different. Our last move nearly ended our marriage. I had a great job, loved my house, had good friends and he decided he was ready to put in for a promotion in another part of the state.
Ugh...tough times. But, you moved anyway? It could be Kody's like that, don't really know. It just seems they have exactly what they said they want, where they are. No one's ever said the kids are harassed in school, they all seem to be doing well, making friends etc. It just seems like a foolish decision to me.

Awe...I love the show, even though I can be critical of some of their decisions. I would like to know more about their beliefs, I'm going to do some research on it.
What the beliefs are for those who practice polygamy and the Brosn family's beliefs Im sure are very different. I watch Escaping Polygamy and get the horrible side of it, but was hoping a real family could show the good side. I dont get that from Sister Wives. Other than the wives being married to Kody, I never learned one thing about the FLDS, what they stand for, what their beliefs are and why they choose to live their lifestyle knowing its against the "norm".

But at least your husband had a cover story as a reason. A job. The Brown's got nuthin. Just "time to move".

"I want to get back to Utah". Then move to AZ.

The polygamists that live on a compound and abuse children, they should be pursued legally. But I don’t see why the Browns should be afraid to live openly as polygamists since they appear to be decent parents.
Oh, sure, I agree. I don't have anything against it legally, as long as they don't get extra privileges on their taxes or whatever. I just know technically it's illegal.

So I’m even more confused then before. I just googled “what does kody brown do for work”. It talked about how at one point he was doing online advertising. The article says that Christine is a stay at home mom. How is it that she was the only one that purchased a home In expensive Flagstaff? I’m sure it was scripted but it seemed like she announced to kody and the family “oh I bought a house and I close....”. And did anyone catch her mentioning that she and kody bought that plot of land. She was upset because it referred to her as a “single female” on the deed

At the beginning of the series and in their book they talk about what they did for a living.
Kody was in advertising sales, Janelle worked for the State of Utah and also had a side food storage business, Meri was going to school and working part time in a group home.
Meri got fired when the show aired. Christine babysat Janelle's kids and was a SAHM. Also a huge couponer.
Kody and Janelle quit their jobs to move to Nevada.

Once there Janelle has sold real estate and the others have done some sales stuff.
But primary in recent years their income is from the publication of their book and their tv show.

ETA - they also rent out the house in Utah and now have some small income from the bed and breakfast

Last edited:
I thought there were supposedly religious reasons behind polygamy. It seems as if this would have been the perfect opportunity for them to discuss their religious beliefs. Instead you hear VERY little about their religious views. Sometimes before meals or special events they pray, but not much else.

They have talked about it in both the show and their book. They are AUB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_United_Brethren

This was Christine's grandfather. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rulon_C._Allred

It was talked about many times in the first seasons of the show. They did not attend church in Nevada as their wasn't one of their denomination. They did in Utah.

Oh, sure, I agree. I don't have anything against it legally, as long as they don't get extra privileges on their taxes or whatever. I just know technically it's illegal.

Of course they get tax breaks! Probably not the Browns because they make too much with the show, but all the others do. Any wife not legally married to the husband is considered a single mother, head of household, sole provider. If they even work, they would get thousands in child credits. If they dont work, the government will support them (AKA...us) and collect something like $50/month from the father.

They have their owns banks where they hide all the $$$.

https://fox13now.com/2017/12/12/fbi-surveillance-video-shows-flds-food-stamp-fraud-scheme-in-action/

upload_2019-3-26_14-1-45.png

upload_2019-3-26_14-5-3.png

https://fox13now.com/2016/05/04/fld...they-get-a-lot-of-money/?utm_source=related_2

"One of those women in trouble is Esther Barlow, 38, a single mother of 11 children, who grew up with 16 siblings."

Here’s the thing, we’re not raising our kids on The Strip and sending them to Pole Dancer school. The part of Vegas you see when you visit is only a very small fraction of this this city. Heck, my younger kids have only been on The Strip once in their lives and they thought we had visited another city. Most of us live in the suburbs and take our kids to soccer practice like anyone else. My parents were raised here, I was raised here and I’m raising my kids here. We’re all upstanding citizens. You want kids to find trouble? Move them to a little podunk town where there’s nothing to do. I can testify to that. As far as the shooting that could (and has) have happened anywhere. It had absolutely nothing to do with this being Las Vegas.

The Browns are using the shooting as a cop out. I think they’re in debt up to their eyeballs and they ran.

What the beliefs are for those who practice polygamy and the Brosn family's beliefs Im sure are very different. I watch Escaping Polygamy and get the horrible side of it, but was hoping a real family could show the good side. I dont get that from Sister Wives. Other than the wives being married to Kody, I never learned one thing about the FLDS, what they stand for, what their beliefs are and why they choose to live their lifestyle knowing its against the "norm".

Browns are AUB not FLDS. Very different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!