Skipper Canteen Reviews

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I would love to hear some feedback on Skipper Canteen. I have it booked for an early dinner on our 2nd MK day, and I’m really looking forward to it.

My DD isn’t very picky but usually gets a kids meal and then eats off my plate. I like that we can have a drink as well.

Would love so additional feedback if anyone has any!

It generally gets positive reviews! We will be eating there in about 2 weeks. Can’t wait to try it.

Our family ate there on NYE, and to be honest it was probably our favorite meal over the 9 days we spent at WDW. I ordered the Thai noodles which were delicious-definitely spicy but perfect for me. Hubby had the whole fried fish which he said was pretty great. Both he and my oldest wished they had gotten the Thai noodles after tasting mine. We’ll definitely head back during our next trip.

I'd generally consider it a spiced up quick service. Something like a Friday or Applebees in terms of quality.

We first ate there Christmas week 2015 and again on Christmas Day 2015. Portions were small during but during the first few months the food quality was better than it has been since. In the months to follow we've eaten there probably 8 more times. We don't really go back for the food but rather because it's the only TS you can walk up to and get a seat on most days. We did it again on our most recent trip and ate there the Dec 28th-ish last month.

I'd say after last month the chances of returning are extremely low unless it's during one of these "limited choices" weeks we visit.

My review for our most recent visit which was just a touch over 2 weeks ago:

No bread. Again.

Duck Pho soup had barely any duck. As in maybe two strands. I complained and they brought me out a small ramekin of stringy pieces duck. --Compare that to actual slices of duck breast during the first few months of operation.

Lot at steak salad, my wife has done this a few times and it seems to drop each and every time. The first couple of months was actually pretty good meat. Now it's on par with what you would get at applebees.

I'd also note the staff these last few visits aren't really even trying. The first few visits were a lot of fun, the "skipper" / server was definitely always in line with the theme. Now? Not so much.

I'd really like to see a return to the food quality and service from those first few months. The last few visits have been disappointing.

We dined there for lunch in May and thought it was cool. Good way to get out of the midday heat, enjoy an adult beverage and some flavorful food. Bread and honey were very different and a good way to start a meal. Seems they may not do the bread anymore?

We split the shu mai and the crispy chicken and it was enough for two adults. Server was very helpful and patient with our (then) 3 year old. Decor is outstanding and dining in adventureland was pretty cool. For sure something to try once; we would dine there again.

We loved it. Two adults, loved the atmosphere, loved the food, loved our server.

We went the first night of our trip and felt it was the perfect way to start the vacation. A relaxing dinner in the Magic Kingdom with a glass of wine!

Hi Lauren! When are you all headed to the world?

I haven't posted our most recent review yet, but you can find some past ones from me here. Skippers is definitely our favorite MK restaurant and you should most definitely give it a try. I never even order food for Casey, she just eats with us.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...e-complete-8-15.3587939/page-12#post-57555392
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...t-complete-3-11.3554710/page-16#post-56915769

Hey lady! March, I have it booked for an early dinner on our last MK day! I’m a little worried as Dillon has started to want her own meals and then ends up eating mine anyway.... this should be an interesting trip :rolleyes1 I’m thinking I’m def keeping it as most of the other meals are a bit more geared toward the kids friendly I mean how many buffets can one person eat at :sad2:

We ate there last September and we enjoyed it! The service and ambiance were wonderful. The food, to me, wasn’t as good as I was expecting but it definitely wasn’t bad! I would give the whole experience a 7/10, worth a try for sure! I also did not know they served alcohol until we sat down so that was a pleasant surprise!

Apparently I'm in minority of those who didn't like it. Atmosphere was awesome. Service was good, although we didn't have a funny or interactive waiter. The food flavor was good, quality was not. We were there in March and it was my DS (10) and myself. We were just ok on the bread that came out before the meal the honey dip with it was really good. We both got the Char Siu Pork for our entrée. The broccoli and rice were good however the pork was aweful. The taste was there but we each got maybe a 1/3 (which is being generous) of meat in the portion the rest was fat. For dessert I can't remember what we got but I remember we were indifferent to that as well. I was really disappointed because we were looking forward to this meal. I do hope we just got unlucky with our meat and its not always that bad. when the waiter came to take our plates for dessert the did ask if everything was ok when he saw our mostly full plates and I told him the problem with the meat. He apologized but didn't offer to replace our meals.

Apparently I'm in minority of those who didn't like it. Atmosphere was awesome. Service was good, although we didn't have a funny or interactive waiter. The food flavor was good, quality was not. We were there in March and it was my DS (10) and myself. We were just ok on the bread that came out before the meal the honey dip with it was really good. We both got the Char Siu Pork for our entrée. The broccoli and rice were good however the pork was aweful. The taste was there but we each got maybe a 1/3 (which is being generous) of meat in the portion the rest was fat. For dessert I can't remember what we got but I remember we were indifferent to that as well. I was really disappointed because we were looking forward to this meal. I do hope we just got unlucky with our meat and its not always that bad. when the waiter came to take our plates for dessert the did ask if everything was ok when he saw our mostly full plates and I told him the problem with the meat. He apologized but didn't offer to replace our meals.
That’s the one entree I’ve heard complaints about. One person was told it’s pork belly which is supposed to be super fatty, but it’s not described that way on the menu so I doubt that.

I'd generally consider it a spiced up quick service. Something like a Friday or Applebees in terms of quality.

We first ate there Christmas week 2015 and again on Christmas Day 2015. Portions were small during but during the first few months the food quality was better than it has been since. In the months to follow we've eaten there probably 8 more times. We don't really go back for the food but rather because it's the only TS you can walk up to and get a seat on most days. We did it again on our most recent trip and ate there the Dec 28th-ish last month.

I'd say after last month the chances of returning are extremely low unless it's during one of these "limited choices" weeks we visit.

My review for our most recent visit which was just a touch over 2 weeks ago:

No bread. Again.

Duck Pho soup had barely any duck. As in maybe two strands. I complained and they brought me out a small ramekin of stringy pieces duck. --Compare that to actual slices of duck breast during the first few months of operation.

Lot at steak salad, my wife has done this a few times and it seems to drop each and every time. The first couple of months was actually pretty good meat. Now it's on par with what you would get at applebees.

I'd also note the staff these last few visits aren't really even trying. The first few visits were a lot of fun, the "skipper" / server was definitely always in line with the theme. Now? Not so much.

I'd really like to see a return to the food quality and service from those first few months. The last few visits have been disappointing.

I went once and this review pretty much reflects my experience perfectly. The food is Applebee's quality (worse in my opinion); and the service is EXTREMELY slow. We are pretty quick order/eaters and it took over 2 hours. We saw other tables getting FP's to make up for it, and I had to argue with the Manager to get them for our table.

We ate there on Sunday and liked it. The food was good, service was good, jokes were punny.

I have avoided this place my last two (long) trips with family, not really knowing if it was our style. However, I found myself at MK two weeks ago solo (in town for work). I had planned to just eat QS, but the crowds were so insane, I figured I’d be better off getting a TS reservation somewhere. This was literally the only thing I could get last minute, so I took it. I was delightfully surprised!

I just had the tastes like chicken dish, and didn’t try any of the interesting drinks or apps/desserts, but it was delicious. I loved the witty banter from the wait staff! Now I’m planning to come back with the whole family on our next trip in December when we have dining plan and can try more options without cringing so hard at the prices.

I have avoided this place my last two (long) trips with family, not really knowing if it was our style. However, I found myself at MK two weeks ago solo (in town for work). I had planned to just eat QS, but the crowds were so insane, I figured I’d be better off getting a TS reservation somewhere. This was literally the only thing I could get last minute, so I took it. I was delightfully surprised!

I just had the tastes like chicken dish, and didn’t try any of the interesting drinks or apps/desserts, but it was delicious. I loved the witty banter from the wait staff! Now I’m planning to come back with the whole family on our next trip in December when we have dining plan and can try more options without cringing so hard at the prices.
I also went there solo! They actually took me as a walk in.

Im really wanting to try this place but I cant seem to find anything on the menu that Im sure I or my husband will enjoy

I think we could do the steak but do you think they would sub the jasmine rice and beans for the mac and cheese and brocolini off the kids menu lol?

We ate there in November and LOOOOVED it! It was the one reservation I wasn't looking forward to that blew me away. Service and food were very good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts