Skyline with social distancing rules in place

jodywgirl

DIS Veteran
What do you think the chance of the skyliner to be running when Disney reopens. I had paid more to stay at Pop century because of it and it is an extra 30 a night. I am thinking of switching to all star hotel if it is not running.

I can't help but wonder, how will they clean any of the buses/boats/skyliners? If they intend to clean rides between guests (which is a rumor) how would they deal with their modes of transportation?

We have a trip scheduled for late September/early October, and plan on having a rental car. We can give the car a once over with wipes, and be comfortable.

What do you think the chance of the skyliner to be running when Disney reopens. I had paid more to stay at Pop century because of it and it is an extra 30 a night. I am thinking of switching to all star hotel if it is not running.
IMHO, Disney might deem it more cost-effective to rely on buses until occupancy ramps up to something approaching normal.

Now seems better than ever to establish a walking path between AKV and AK. Distance is under a mile and compares to being less than 1 trip around the park. It could be a nice scenic walk in an open air environment. No more waiting on buses if you’re staying there.

How many/what percent of visitors would you expect to willingly walk two miles evey day outside the park? The vast majority of hotel guests want or expect to be as close to the lobby as possible, to avoid unnecessary steps.

IMHO, Disney might deem it more cost-effective to rely on buses until occupancy ramps up to something approaching normal.
Unfortunately that's what I've assumed will happen. In spite of the fact that more options would spread people out more.

Now seems better than ever to establish a walking path between AKV and AK. Distance is under a mile and compares to being less than 1 trip around the park. It could be a nice scenic walk in an open air environment. No more waiting on buses if you’re staying there.
If you look at satellite views on Google, the only practical route would be along Osceola Pkwy, and in along the park exit road and through the bus depot. It would be about 1 1/4 miles. A straight line route is not possible because the lodge's savanna is between the lodge and the park.

How many/what percent of visitors would you expect to willingly walk two miles evey day outside the park? The vast majority of hotel guests want or expect to be as close to the lobby as possible, to avoid unnecessary steps.
Plenty of people would be happy to walk between AKL and AK, rather than wait for a crowded and/or late bus. I certainly would.

I disagree that "the vast majority" of guests try to avoid unnecessary steps. The vast majority of older or unfit guests, understandably, but plenty of more ambulatory visitors couldn't care less about having a room close to the lobby, are happy to get a little exercise, and on a nice day would prefer the walk to AK to lining up and waiting for a bus, particularly at peak times like at park closing, or when they want to be early for Magic Hours.

The Epcot resorts are a bit of a walk from Hollywood Studios, but many people gladly walk that route all the time. Getting to be independent of Disney transportation to 2 parks is a major draw of those resorts and that is mentioned by guests all the time on these boards. Likewise, part of the Contemporary's popularity lies in being walkable from MK.

Not everyone would use the relatively long AK - AKL walkway, but I have no doubt that if it existed, many would, and that it would add to the popular appeal of the resort.

I disagree that "the vast majority" of guests try to avoid unnecessary steps. The vast majority of older or unfit guests, understandably, but plenty of more ambulatory visitors couldn't care less about having a room close to the lobby, are happy to get a little exercise, and on a nice day would prefer the walk to AK to lining up and waiting for a bus, particularly at peak times like at park closing, or when they want to be early for Magic Hours.
I disagree. Most Value guests don't evn want to stay in the Little Mermaid section of Art of Animation because it's too faf from everything. Ditto for the Country Fair section of All Star Music. Add in the numerous visitors who request "close to the lobby" at Boardwalk or Jambo. Heck, there are people who feel the walk between Jambo and Kidani is too far.

I think the walkway would be appreciated. If you're going to AK, busses are not too bad. If you're going anywhere else, the wait is horrible. We would have walked when we went and ate there. We put on 27000 steps 1 day when the sky liner broke down at Rivera. We had to walk to bus stop. Then after going to Epcot, the monorail broke down. We had to walk from the transportation center to Poly as we had O'Hanas booked. So personally the more options there are, the better😀And yes our dogs were barking that night!

Last edited:
hmm... I believe a bit of personal responsibility would go along way here. Bringing hand sanitizer and using it after all touch points and after riding the Skyliner would be a great idea. Of course if Disney wants to wipe down after each use, that'd be an added perk and one that I would appreciate :) BUT... I don't see it as necessary as say... making buffet changes.

I think a lot will depend on what sanitizing procedures they put in place. If they have a means of spray-sanitizing everything (no contact, spray everything down and let dry for a couple of minutes), then it'd be possible to give a skyliner car a spraydown when it's exited and not load it until the next station. I could see that working well for the omnimover type rides too, and the buses. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of whether products like that exist that are efffective in killing the virus on surfaces, but I would think it's being looked into.

That's how Lysol spray works. You spray it & let dry & kills 99.9'% of germs. So maybe something like that. I think it would work. I was thinking that's what they would possibly do for rides & things. There is no way they could wipe it down each time.

My Feb trip we stayed at Pop for our WDW portion of the trip, never combined with another group except one afternoon from Riviera to Epcot (4 adults joined us) - it is by far the easiest form of transportation to use for single group use and simple enough to pull off line, fog with disinfectant and put back on the line for use

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!