Skyline with social distancing rules in place

It takes some time (45 seconds?) to zap the interior of the gondola with UV light. There would have to be some holding area big enough to hold several gondolas so a new gondola can join the end of the holding line and a freshly zapped gondola can emerge every 12 seconds or so while each gondola gets the 45 or whatever seconds of UV while in the holding area.

UV lights that don't injure eyesight in seconds will take even longer to zap germs.

UV light will not go through residues such as even faint peanut butter or jelly handprints.

There would have to be some failsafe way of ensuring no person got into or remained in a gondola when the UV lights came on.

If Lysol or similar spray is wiped off too quickly the germs don't get killed.

I think there probably is a way to keep passengers safe from light zapping. Perhaps using robots such as these: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nishan...opening-of-mass-transit-systems/#316381b1f7fc . Robot in the car equals no passengers, and when it arrives at the next station, the robot is moved to another car. If they had enough robots to put one in every 4th car, I think they could zap the entire system in about an hour. It would be important to ask if the UV-shield coating already on the cars would work inside-to-outside, though.

Also, some bus systems in China have been building UV tunnels that have powered floor rotors, like a car wash. The drivers get out and walk to the other end to pick the bus up. Obviously, using that kind of system requires rotating buses off-service several times per day, but that would be easier in a system like WDW's, where buses tend to completely empty at a single stop.

Of course, lights don't take the place of old-fashioned scrubbing; they just help in-between scrubbings. I'm guessing that WDW Transportation is about to contract for an absolute army of night workers who will carefully clean the entire fleet every single night, at a much more intensive level than they currently do. (As buses go, Disney's have always been pretty clean, but I think the standard is about to ramp way up.) Also, no more standing passengers for probably the remainder of this year, at least.

Last edited:
You all have some good ideas for what to use to sanitize the SKyliner cars between uses but I think the big issue Disney needs to think about is sanitizing the Skyliner cars while in use and the line running and loading people. Every other car works as long as that gives each car enough time to dry out before the next station when new passengers are loaded into the newly sanitized car. I can imagine how quickly a huge line will form with people waiting to load if the sanitizing method needs longer than the length of time between two stations to dry.

People really just need to wash their hands after riding it and other rides. This could be an issue for kids that like to lick things but otherwise a good hand washing after riding will suffice.

It takes some time (45 seconds?) to zap the interior of the gondola with UV light. There would have to be some holding area big enough to hold several gondolas so a new gondola can join the end of the holding line and a freshly zapped gondola can emerge every 12 seconds or so.

UV lights that don't injure eyesight in seconds will take even longer to zap germs.

There would have to be some failsafe way of ensuring no person got into or remained in a gondola when the UV lights came on.

If Lysol or similar spray is wiped off too quickly the germs don't get killed. Forty five seconds needed for this too?

Not sure whether, as people walk on carpet, coronovirus from dried breath droplets requiring another 3 hours to become non-infective, along with asbestos fibers and pollen and other fine particulate matter get puffed up into the air with each step they take (?)
I haven’t researched the sensitivity of coronavirus to UV light vs. that of tuberculosis bacteria, but TB clinics generally have UV lights installed that remain on at all times to kill the TB bacteria. The lights are installed near the ceiling and aimed upward so not shining into anyone’s eyes. If coronavirus is equally sensitive, installing UV lights into the gondolas might provide constant disinfection. The issue would be that in TB clinics the ventilation is designed to pull air up and out of the room, whereas in the gondolas the ventilation seems to be designed to blow down over guests, keeping them cool - but then out. An industrial hygienist could figure it out.

Very true, but none of those pathogens is a coronavirus. There have been efforts to create a coronavirus vaccine since at least 2008, but none has ever been successfully tested in humans.
There was one developed, but when it got to the human testing stage, the developer could not find a company etc to take it to the next step.

How many/what percent of visitors would you expect to willingly walk two miles evey day outside the park? The vast majority of hotel guests want or expect to be as close to the lobby as possible, to avoid unnecessary steps.
I am not most people, but if I knew a bus was 10 minutes away, and I could get to my destination in 20 minutes of walking, I would walk.

I am not most people, but if I knew a bus was 10 minutes away, and I could get to my destination in 20 minutes of walking, I would walk.
Same, unless you have realized you forgot something and have to go back to your room like I do almost every trip LOL - but that is why I love POP and Skyliner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!