Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Really hope they push the security bag checks to the resorts for guests staying on property. Eases the checks outside the parks for day or offsite guests and I think makes the experience better for everyone

Really hope they push the security bag checks to the resorts for guests staying on property.
Thinking about the logistics for that
  1. they would have to have a secure area around the bus stop so that everybody would be channeled through a security check point.
  2. Physical changes at some resorts would be difficult given their design. For example, the Contemporary has a bus stop that is along the pathway that people normally walk to get to the MK.
  3. Each check point would have to be manned by several people for 18+ hours a day.
  4. Ability to change staffing levels at distributed security stations according to time of day is limited to whole people (ie, you can't have 2.5 people) making it difficult to have the right amount of manpower at the right time.
Nothing that the imagineers couldn't overcome, but challenging.

Really hope they push the security bag checks to the resorts for guests staying on property. Eases the checks outside the parks for day or offsite guests and I think makes the experience better for everyone

Thinking about the logistics for that
  1. they would have to have a secure area around the bus stop so that everybody would be channeled through a security check point.
  2. Physical changes at some resorts would be difficult given their design. For example, the Contemporary has a bus stop that is along the pathway that people normally walk to get to the MK.
  3. Each check point would have to be manned by several people for 18+ hours a day.
  4. Ability to change staffing levels at distributed security stations according to time of day is limited to whole people (ie, you can't have 2.5 people) making it difficult to have the right amount of manpower at the right time.
Nothing that the imagineers couldn't overcome, but challenging.

Are we talking in general, at all resorts, for all transport, or just for the Skyliner system?

If the later, I think they could do it - especially if everyone goes through the main hub at CBR (like the TTC) and could do it there ... then would just need the end points of the system at EPCOT and DHS to be inside the security perimeter. I don't think they will do that, but I think it is doable.

To do everywhere is just not feasable ... unless you create almost like a "TSA precheck" type system where onsite guests can be pre-screened and go through a quicker security line by showing their passes/scanning magic bands or something

As people suggested over on that wdwmagic thread, run everything through CBR to make it a super-moderate resort and get the new DVC owners there to pay for the gondola with their annual maintenance fees.

I think this is a great idea, and every bus route should be replaced with a dedicated gondola line.
That wouldn't wouldn't work for us. My husband is afraid of heigts and won't dangle from a wire. Having both options would be great and would relieve road congestion.

Everything known and guessed is in the skyliner thread just a few threads down from this one.

Looks like this was moved to rumors but its not a rumor, i received an email from disney regarding upcoming CBR res saying they are constructing the gondolas. Just doesnt say where they are connecting to or when they will be done.

img_2443-1.jpg

What an eyesore! I'm sure I would love riding in the gondola, and appreciate its presence & convenience, but wow... talk about dirtying up the skyline! It's hard to pretend you're in the Caribbean--or on an African plain--while there is a loud industrial gondola running overhead, constantly. YUCK.

This mechanism better be equipped to move people at twice the rate of busses. Otherwise, this is a major fail, at a cost of uglying up the resorts and creating constant noise.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to a ski resort and have a listen... then imagine that equipment running over the tops of all the buildings in Disney.

What an eyesore! I'm sure I would love riding in the gondola, and appreciate its presence & convenience, but wow... talk about dirtying up the skyline! It's hard to pretend you're in the Caribbean--or on an African plain--while there is a loud industrial gondola running overhead, constantly. YUCK.

This mechanism better be equipped to move people at twice the rate of busses. Otherwise, this is a major fail, at a cost of uglying up the resorts and creating constant noise.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to a ski resort and have a listen... then imagine that equipment running over the tops of all the buildings in Disney.
African plain? This isn't going to AKL. I also can't see it being loud otherwise they would build it near hotel rooms.

It’s not much different than a monorail running past the Polynesian.

There will be little lift to these so there won't be the noise of the machinery that is needed go up thousands of feet. There is really no need to rise more than 30' up.

I just wanted to go on record, saying that this is a BAD idea. If I'm proven wrong, fine, but I don't think I am.

Approximately how many thunderstorms does Orlando have over the course of any year?
And does that affect the monorail so much? No matter where you put this weather has an effect. I don't see this being any different than the monorail in a storm.

And does that affect the monorail so much? No matter where you put this weather has an effect. I don't see this being any different than the monorail in a storm.

I disagree, but, like I said, I could be wrong. I just think everything about this screams *BAD IDEA*.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!