Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Based on this drawing - you definitely will. As I mentioned in post above, the drawing shows two opposite load stations, which would have to be the AOA/Pop station and the Epcot station. (DHS direction has to be behind the building in the picture.) The question is if coming from DHS - do you have to dismount to go to Epcot and vice versa, or will the Epcot loop keep going to DHS - though I am making an assumption here that the AOA/Pop route wouldn't continue to DHS.

I always figured they wouldn't have a straight line (i.e., no transfers needed) to go from EPCOT to DHS directly as you already have the boats and can walk - so would be more about getting people to and from the resorts to the parks rather than from park to park

But yeah, will be interesting if one system turns there as well to go to DHS or if there are 3 separate systems/routes: From CBR to POP/AoA; from DHS to CBR, and then from CBR to EPCOT through Riviera

I don't know if the lack of mention means they won't have one. All the plans show a station at the Riviera.

I know it was on the map they last showed, and likely,
just find it strange they use a PR piece to promote it
and completely ignore a station, that could be huge selling point.

But, never been impressed with Disney's ability to sell extras anyway.

My read on this is that the DVC is not getting a station that they can load on .............

"Finally, cabins will slow down at the Disney Skyliner turn-station along Buena Vista Drive, where guests can see the mechanical and aerial components that make up the Disney Skyliner."
This is the Boardwalk turn. Its been said Disney got lazy here and didn't want to theme so guests get to see all the mechanical stuff in that station.

I know it was on the map they last showed, and likely,
just find it strange they use a PR piece to promote it
and completely ignore a station, that could be huge selling point.

But, never been impressed with Disney's ability to sell extras anyway.

As I think about it, I suspect the reason we don't see the Riviera load station is because the resort isn't built yet, so they don't feel the need to "sell" the design of the gondola station. Relatively few current guests would be staying at Riviera when it opens, versus the #s at Pop/AOA and CBR. I am a little surprised they didn't show the Pop/AOA station.

This is the Boardwalk turn. Its been said Disney got lazy here and didn't want to theme so guests get to see all the mechanical stuff in that station.

I came right here as soon as I read the release! Thought they were talking about Riveria too. Glad to know it is Boardwalk - although would be fun if Rivera guests have to jump on as it slows #nothanks

I came right here as soon as I read the release! Thought they were talking about Riveria too. Glad to know it is Boardwalk - although would be fun if Rivera guests have to jump on as it slows #nothanks

There's a good chance that everyone has to jump on while it slows. These types of gondolas technically don't come to a complete stop. They detach at the station but continue to move along a track. Now - the speed is slower than say getting on a moving walkway at the airport - but it likely WILL be moving. (This what has made the whole wheerchair/ECV discussion interesting - how do they handle those cases - because there's a lot of these cases. )

There's a good chance that everyone has to jump on while it slows. These types of gondolas technically don't come to a complete stop. They detach at the station but continue to move along a track. Now - the speed is slower than say getting on a moving walkway at the airport - but it likely WILL be moving. (This what has made the whole wheerchair/ECV discussion interesting - how do they handle those cases - because there's a lot of these cases. )

On at least some that I have been on when the cars are detached they are only moved by hand along the rail by the workers and then those workers can hold the gondola still for people to get on - so that would work for wheel chairs, ECV, and strollers too I suppose

Not that it really confirms anything, but it looks like from the artwork that the gondola station will be outside of security on the international gateway, or at least outside of the entry gate. Maybe security will be on the yacht club side of the skyliner station. This is mostly to address speculation early on that it might make sense to have the skyliners in the security bubble.

Yup got it. I ski quite a bit being in the northeast. Familiar with the “quick get your skis in the slot and jump on.” I would think these will go a bit slower though at loading what with kids and strollers etc. I’m really looking forward to seeing this system!

side note, guess I never realized before they will be featuring different versions/styles of Mickey and Minnie:
Image_WDW_Disney-Skyliner-2.jpg

Yup got it. I ski quite a bit being in the northeast. Familiar with the “quick get your skis in the slot and jump on.” I would think these will go a bit slower though at loading what with kids and strollers etc. I’m really looking forward to seeing this system!

I think this looks fantastic and the concept art is what I was hoping for. This is when the wdwmagic forums lose me. Martin already highlights value engineering and many posters are already bashing it. After a while that gets too old for me. I’m in more if the let’s give it a chance before deciding it stinks or is cheap.

I think this looks fantastic and the concept art is what I was hoping for. This is when the wdwmagic forums lose me. Martin already highlights value engineering and many posters are already bashing it. After a while that gets too old for me. I’m in more if the let’s give it a chance before deciding it stinks or is cheap.
I think the wdwmagic posters including myself are a bit more old school. We like high class theming that Disney is known for. Skimping out on that upsets many of us.

I think the wdwmagic posters including myself are a bit more old school. We like high class theming that Disney is known for. Skimping out on that upsets many of us.

I get that - but where are the skimping on the theming? (maybe the one turn station but they could even theme that a bit like they are showing off the engineering like a pavilion in Future World

Only gripe I can see is if you think it will ruin the skyline and immersiveness if you can see them from inside any of the parks - but we don't know if that will be the case or not

Or, I guess, if you think Disney doesn't give a whooey about easing transportation or providing new and different types of transportation and this is 100% about being able to charge more money at Pop Century, etc. then, yeah, I can see being down on it

I get that - but where are the skimping on the theming? (maybe the one turn station but they could even theme that a bit like they are showing off the engineering like a pavilion in Future World

Only gripe I can see is if you think it will ruin the skyline and immersiveness if you can see them from inside any of the parks - but we don't know if that will be the case or not

Or, I guess, if you think Disney doesn't give a whooey about easing transportation or providing new and different types of transportation and this is 100% about being able to charge more money at Pop Century, etc. then, yeah, I can see being down on it
Some of those posters know more than I do but the way it was explained about the Boardwalk turn station theming was just skipped out on due to costs.

As for inside the parks I think you'll see them from France/right inside IG. I don't think you'll see them from inside DHS.

Some of those posters know more than I do but the way it was explained about the Boardwalk turn station theming was just skipped out on due to costs.

As for inside the parks I think you'll see them from France/right inside IG. I don't think you'll see them from inside DHS.

guess in the grand scheme of things that doesn't seem like the biggest deal. Much rather they cut a little theming on a turn station than have to cut funding to the Guardians ride or something like that

It's not as though theme can't be changed. They skimp now, and some time down the road when they actually build something near the "blank" station, they dress it up to match.
Right now it's generic urban parking lot themed.

Do we really believe that "back in the day" (whenever that actually was), DL/WDW projects received every dime of funding that the company could throw at them? There has always been give and take between ideas dreamed up by the creatives and what the bookkeepers were willing to spend.

If you want to judge a finished project as being "cheap", so be it. But the mere fact that Imagineering didn't get 100% of what they originally sought doesn't necessarily make it a lesser product.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter