Slinky Dog Coaster

Ds4angels

DIS Veteran
Just curious if anyone knows, is this more a Goofy's Barnstormer or a BTMRR type coaster? Excited for Toy Story land next summer

Neither. It's more like a traditional roller coaster that you'd find at amusement parks. BTMRR has a lot of theming and the track is built close to the "ground" - Slinky Dog appears to have limited theming and most certainly gets off the ground. Barnstormer is similar to a compact mouse coaster - Slinky Dog is spread out and has a few hills. There's not really a similar coaster at WDW - I wouldn't really compare it to SM, SDMT, RNR or EE either. Slinky Dog will still be a family coaster - not as intense as RNR - but not as tame as some of the other family coasters either. You can find pictures of the coaster on line (and maybe some of the boards here). The track is down and complete. Looks fun - even if I continue to complain that they could have done more with Toy Story Land.

Thanks ShadeDk, I should have been more specific as in thrills more then theme. But still sounds like it will be more of a family ride, so that's good.

Thanks ShadeDk, I should have been more specific as in thrills more then theme. But still sounds like it will be more of a family ride, so that's good.
No worries. And, yes, it will be a family ride. Honestly, though, I'm still not certain what to compare it to as far as thrills. Originally, I thought this coaster would have a small profile, but the aerial pictures I've seen make it appear more substantial than I expected (particularly in terms of height, drops and banks). I agree with HopperFan - the thrill level probably will fall in the middle range along the lines of 7DMT. TSL mostly seems to be about the kids - and it wouldn't make sense to make this too scary for a lot of them.

As I've described it a couple time before, it will be 7DMT level thrills with Barnstormer level aesthetics. i.e. "non-intense family fun" and "cheap and quick" respectively.

So no thrills and no height requirement?

...imagineering at its peak, baby!!!:duck:

So no thrills and no height requirement?

...imagineering at its peak, baby!!!:duck:

I think it will compare to 7DMT in the thrill level. 7DMT and Barnstormer both have height requirements, so I would be this will too, though it should be on the low end.

I think it's good. HS in particular needs more family type rides, since RnRC and ToT are major thrillers, and even Star Tours to a lesser extent. This and the spinner I think are great choices, and there's still Star Wars coming.

How long is it?

I see Barnstormer is 679 feet of track.

It appears to be about that wide of a footprint at DHS. Or am I way off.

It's also about 675 feet from Walt to the flag pole for reference.

So it seems to be double (Barnstormer) if just straight up and back?

With back and forth and up and down, any guesses on track length?

Wondering the height as well.

How long is it?

I see Barnstormer is 679 feet of track.

It appears to be about that wide of a footprint at DHS. Or am I way off.

It's also about 675 feet from Walt to the flag pole for reference.

So it seems to be double (Barnstormer) if just straight up and back?

With back and forth and up and down, any guesses on track length?

Wondering the height as well.

It appears to circle most of the land, so I think it should be quite a bit longer than Barnstormer.

I think it will compare to 7DMT in the thrill level. 7DMT and Barnstormer both have height requirements, so I would be this will too, though it should be on the low end.

I think it's good. HS in particular needs more family type rides, since RnRC and ToT are major thrillers, and even Star Tours to a lesser extent. This and the spinner I think are great choices, and there's still Star Wars coming.

Tongue in cheek.

Though mine train is the most overrated ride in amusement park history...

MGM needs more of all types of rides...in 2 years we shall see

Tongue in cheek.

Though mine train is the most overrated ride in amusement park history...

MGM needs more of all types of rides...in 2 years we shall see
Do you really believe that two years from now DHS still won't need "more of all types of rides"? Of course you don't. Based on attractions, I don't believe that DHS is getting more than a +1 from 5 years ago (note, attractions, not rides) and even then I could be wrong. Plus 2 of the rides they are bringing in b/c of the IP they will be tied to will have that park exploding from the seams. MK is the smallest park by far down there yet has so much more to do. They need to fill this park up no matter what types of rides (kiddie, family, or thrill) because we both know that place will be mobbed once SW-Land opens. Almost none of the rides there eat people and simultaneously draw people like IASW (which for all it's issues, eats people and is a decent air conditioned 10 minutes for pure nostalgia).

Do you really believe that two years from now DHS still won't need "more of all types of rides"? Of course you don't. Based on attractions, I don't believe that DHS is getting more than a +1 from 5 years ago (note, attractions, not rides) and even then I could be wrong. Plus 2 of the rides they are bringing in b/c of the IP they will be tied to will have that park exploding from the seams. MK is the smallest park by far down there yet has so much more to do. They need to fill this park up no matter what types of rides (kiddie, family, or thrill) because we both know that place will be mobbed once SW-Land opens. Almost none of the rides there eat people and simultaneously draw people like IASW (which for all it's issues, eats people and is a decent air conditioned 10 minutes for pure nostalgia).

Did I indicate that I was disagreeing with anything you are saying?

...I just bore of the "they need more family rides" comments...

The place is locked into a "G" rating for all time...

But they do need more of that type of ride...but that doesn't diminish that they need every other type of ride too

Slinky Dog Dash will be on the same thrill level as 7DMT (definitely more than Barnstormer but not as intense as BTMRR). As for length, I can see it being a good few minutes long. And I think everyone is 'judging the book by its cover' re. theming - it is just different, but immersive in its on right (the whole theme of the land is Andy's backyard, so surely the minimal 'traditional theming' is perfect? Andy wouldn't have build a mountain to house his coaster for example).

Not sure if you are aware, but media were told yesterday through a mailing, that we should expect to hear an announcement re. Toy Story Land on Wednesday.

I like Gringotts but for me it's the theming. They might have gone too far with the many starts and stops but otherwise I really love it.

The Slinky Dog coaster looks very cute. We might try it once but then be done with it like 7DMT. Once was enough.

Agreed. Sadly 7DMT is more of a coaster than Gringotts (amazing bank coaster in the movie), and by a lot.

I like Gringotts but for me it's the theming. They might have gone too far with the many starts and stops but otherwise I really love it.
I liked gringotts as much as the next person, but I just thought it to be too cookie cutter of a ride. My favorite part of it was in one of the rooms if you look up you can see the other (prop obviously) cart tracks. I thought that was so cool! During my ride I think I gawked at it instead of looking at what I was supposed to. I kind of did the same on transformers trying to find the elevators

Back to slinky dog is it bad I'm looking more forward to this that galaxy's edge? Part of me thinks it's because this is more unique to the park and the fact that I'm a bigger Toy Story fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like Star Wars but I love Toy Story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter