"Smaller is Nicer" or "Bigger is Better"

"Small and High-Quality" or "Big and Decent"

• Give me more options, even if not as good

• Give me better options, I don't want junk

• This takes some explaining,so I'll add a post

Results are only viewable after voting.

wheelcap

Gee Mom, I wanna go "HOME"
Is DVC better as a small somewhat-exclusive organization that focuses on offering only "the best" to its members . . . OR . . . is it better as a large organization that can offer "the most" to its members? I was just thinking about II offering a few hundred high-quality locations compared to RCI offering a few thousand decent locations, but it applies in so many other ways, as well. For instance . . . would it be better as just a few resorts - say OKW, Beach Club, and AKV; or would it be better if there were villas at every resort as well as several new DVC-only resorts.

DVC's growth gives us more and better internal DVC options. (Could not believe how amazed I was with AKV, and that was not mentioned when we bought)
Since external trades mostly deal with a certain # of people that want to do an internal Disney vacation, expansion somewhat lessens our trading power.. There's good and bad.

I was just thinking about II offering a few hundred high-quality locations compared to RCI offering a few thousand decent locations, but it applies in so many other ways, as well.

II offers nearly 2500 locations vs 4700 for RCI.

When you hear about II's "high-quality locations" understand that DVC filtered II's list down to only about 500 locations DVC members could actually use. They may well do the same thing with RCI.

Granted that won't return access to the entire roster of Four Seasons and Marriott resorts. But at this stage it's a little misleading to compare the top 20% of II with some of the dregs of RCI.

As for the question, I think we've past the point where DVC could ever be a small, exclusive club. I've heard some long-time members lament the passing of what they believe DVC used to be. They bought into the larger rooms at OKW, higher purchase minimums (230 originally) and a perceived higher class of owner that was willing to take a chance on DVC back in '91/92.

Disney COULD have made DVC a program on-par with Four Seasons fractional resorts ($250,000 purchase) and I'm sure some people would have loved that. But it isn't and it never will be.

Depending upon how one chooses to spend their money, DVC is certainly accessible to single-income families, divorcees, unmarried folks, those with 5-figure incomes, etc. They probably aren't going to build anymore 100-200 unit resorts like VWL and BCV because they sell-out too fast. DVC needs more points than that.

I'm sure Disney has considered a more elite offering like the Four Seasons development, but I think the deal with FS was a sign that they'd rather leave that market to someone else.

Sorry, but I don't really understand your choices. I thought you were asking if we thought DVC was better smaller or larger. Personally, I liked it better when there were fewer resorts. And I don't really need II or RCI.

DVC's unexpected growth is headed in the right direction. When they open a new resort currently, it is carefully planned and crafted, not just another 14 story hotel. I personally want DVC to grow, but not to the extent of 24-30 DVC resorts in Orlando. More resort's = More people. More People = More lines and so on. The current "Small" amount of DVC resorts on it's Florida property works well. The growth should be expanded to other parts of the country such as the newest DVC Hawaii and Villas at Disney's Grand California Resort.

It seems to me that people would prefer that DVC stay smaller and special, rather than grow to be a huge monster with too many resorts and too many members. "Too many" of something seems to cheapen the value; yet if it's too exclusive it creates snobs. Where's the balance, and can Disney find it so they don't overdo "Disney's Greatest Secret"??

It seems to me that people would prefer that DVC stay smaller and special, rather than grow to be a huge monster with too many resorts and too many members. "Too many" of something seems to cheapen the value; yet if it's too exclusive it creates snobs. Where's the balance, and can Disney find it so they don't overdo "Disney's Greatest Secret"??

They've already passed that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter