Snacks that can be meal substitutes/add ons

jayhjay

DIS Veteran
We are traveling on DDP with our two DDs (5 and 2), so younger one won't be on DP. My kids are light eaters and don't normally eat a whole lot so they typically share a meal when we eat out. I assume they will do the same thing at WDW, especially since we have heard the DP provides so much food.

But since we are basically feeding four people on three plans, I assume there will be times we need to supplement. SInce so many folks have extra snacks, I am wondering if we might be able to use some snack credits to help beef up some CS meals.

My first thought is fruit since I know they are considered snacks. Anyone have ideas for other snack items that we could get that would round out a lunch? Does anyone sell veggies as snacks (carrot sticks or something?) Bags of pretzels? Any other ideas? Thanks, JJ

jayhjay said:
. Anyone have ideas for other snack items that we could get that would round out a lunch? Does anyone sell veggies as snacks (carrot sticks or something?) Bags of pretzels? Any other ideas? Thanks, JJ

You aren't going to find many options at all. You can use a snack credit to get whole pieces of fruit at the fruit stands in the park.

You can get meat dumplings at the stand near Lights, Motors, Action in MGM, but the serving size is very small.

Sometimes the resort food courts are a little more liberal on what they will allow...it really comes down to the individual cashier there.

Other than that, you're pretty much stuck with what Disney says is included:

One snack (a frozen ice-cream novelty or fruit bar, popcorn scoop (single serving box), single piece of whole fruit, single serving Grab Bag of Frito-Lay's Chips, 20 oz. bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or 24 oz. Dasani Water, medium fountain soft drink or apple juice)

The exception is if you are traveling during October. If you are in Epcot during the Food & Wine Festival you'll have a lot more options from the pop-up stands.

I agree ... it is limited to the things the Formeyer listed and a lot of the cs in the parks don't have the "snack" items .... the carts do and the food courts in the resorts do.

If it were up to me .... and I'm sure I will get flamed by the DIS ethics police but I don't really care...I would have you go through the line together and then you pay for 2 adult meals on your card and have your wife pay for 1 adult meal on her card.

One adult meal being plenty for the kids to split.

WDWO

i believe the mickey rice krispie treats are snacks on the plan... some people consider them "breakfast!" :)

also, you could get the snack and a meal and combined it might be enough for two kids (depending on how much your older child eats)... there are mickey pretzels that were a snack...

you might have better luck sharing the adult meals that you/dh get... such as what we did a lot... for breakfast we'd buy the "big" breakfast platter and supplement that w/a bagel (OOP) for ds to put the sausage patty on... for lunch you can get an adult double burger and buy the extra bun (for under a buck, i believe) or if your 2yo doesn't eat the bun, just cut up the second patty... etc...

even though we're big eaters, i don't think two adult meals and one child's meal is a problem for feeding an "extra" (LOL) two year old... enjoy :flower:

I bet you'd have enough from the 3 meals to share with the little one.

You can always bring in snacks or food items in your backpack. Think of things that you might toss in a child's lunch box. Little cans of diced peaches, granola bars, pudding cups, peanut butter crackers etc.

Disney will check your bag at the entrance, but they won't say anything about a few extra snacks.

Trena

Trena said:
Disney will check your bag at the entrance, but they won't say anything about a few extra snacks.

Trena

More than half of the people on line to get in have bags full of food. I saw people carrying coolers. I even saw one guy in front of me one day with a cooler that had enough sandwiches and drinks to feed an army. The security guy not only didn't care, but even made a joke about whether he was going to share with the security staff.

I know technically water is the only thing allowed in the parks, but they honestly don't seem to care even slightly about what you bring in with you.

we always bring food in the park. Not meals but fruit snacks, bagels, cheese and crackers, grapes, juice boxes, etc. Sometimes I put the things in fanny packs other times I carry a small cooler that can fold up when it's empty. I've never had a problem. I don't just do this for money. I don't feel like stopping my park fun to get in line and get a snack.

You can bring food into the parks--we always bring a few snacks as prior to the dining plan it saved me a small fortune.

I think you will have plenty of food to share with a 2 year old. For you CS and TS (unless you use them for breakfast) you will have either an "all you can eat" where the 2 year old eats free OR you will have an appetizer, entree, and dessert for 2 of you plus a child's meal. That is a lot of food.

My only suggestion might be to take a box of their favorite breakfast cereal along. WDW has only Kellogg's products, and a limited selection of those. You can easily get milk and juice at your resort.

We had the dining plan last fall with 2 adults and 2 kids under 3. We shared our food with the boys and trust me, no one went hungry. I can't recall ever buying a single kids meal just for them. We had some small snack in the room and carried them in our bags, but no one ever went hungry.

Also, at the AYCE meals and buffets, the under-3 crowd gets their own plate at no charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter