Snow and Disney.....Reservations

PaHunter

Reasonably Knowledgable Individual.
Sitting here watching it snow shower outside:cold:, not sticking luckily. DW is on a 3 week vacation with her mother, so I am working on reservations :surfweb: for next September, looking like the 6th to the 16th. Also been online shopping for a new fifth wheel, if I can find one at a decent price. We like the Chapperal with the Front Living Room, Columbus by palomino with the Front kitchen, but then Grand Design came out with a 375 RE-R with a 12 foot garage under the living room that is very sweet:mickeybar......oh the decisions....:grouphug:

But hopefully we can get it early and do some camping with it before the Fort. Now just to decide. :faint:

Thankfully we haven't seen the snow yet where I am. It was cold and wet the other day though and I did have to scrape the windshield.

I'd love to get a fifth wheel. the DW isn't really ready for it yet though. I think if we are going to have bigger (ours is an almost 37' TT) that I'd rather have it in a 5er. The cost though is a big factor. (Who am I kidding.... it's the biggest factor:rolleyes:).

Maybe in a couple of years though... I actually start a new job soon. (Just waiting on the actual offer letter to come. It's still pending signatures). It's about a 5% raise above where I am now, but the benefits are better and insurance is cheaper (and better too). So maybe I could finally sock some money away for a down payment on something nice. Of course by then... Might just want to skip the 5er and go with a class A. :D

Only a couple of short weeks to go before we leave for this trip. DW has another one planned for April, but not sure how well that one will go. Time will tell.

Thankfully we haven't seen the snow yet where I am. It was cold and wet the other day though and I did have to scrape the windshield.

I'd love to get a fifth wheel. the DW isn't really ready for it yet though. I think if we are going to have bigger (ours is an almost 37' TT) that I'd rather have it in a 5er. The cost though is a big factor. (Who am I kidding.... it's the biggest factor:rolleyes:).

Maybe in a couple of years though... I actually start a new job soon. (Just waiting on the actual offer letter to come. It's still pending signatures). It's about a 5% raise above where I am now, but the benefits are better and insurance is cheaper (and better too). So maybe I could finally sock some money away for a down payment on something nice. Of course by then... Might just want to skip the 5er and go with a class A. :D

Only a couple of short weeks to go before we leave for this trip. DW has another one planned for April, but not sure how well that one will go. Time will tell.

I wish, all I had to do was scrape, my vehicles were encased in ice yesterday before I left to head to Wilkes Barre where it was all rain. DW wants to go ahead and upgrade to the 5er, and well we recently sold her home, so we have a nice down payment, to go with our trade.

I wish, all I had to do was scrape, my vehicles were encased in ice yesterday before I left to head to Wilkes Barre where it was all rain. DW wants to go ahead and upgrade to the 5er, and well we recently sold her home, so we have a nice down payment, to go with our trade.
WOW.... I don't recall exactly how far from my you were, but I am only about 7 miles from Wilkes-Barre (where I work) and while I had to Scrape the windows, it's far from what I would call "Encased" in "ICE". The windows, though, did have a thick layer, but that's about it.

My DW is wishy washy about the camper we have. On one hand she wants to downsize because she doesn't like the idea of towing such a big rig. On the other hand she wants the space and comfort of glamping.... Just depends.

Since SHE is paying for the camper I will have to just keep working on finding the "Right" one and the "Right" time to make the pitch. :)

We got some snow yesterday in Hartford, turned to rain in the evening, though, and nothing to scrape thankfully!

On one hand she wants to downsize because she doesn't like the idea of towing such a big rig. On the other hand she wants the space and comfort of glamping.... Just depends.

This is why I want Mickey's camper!!!

This fall we've kind of been tossing around the idea of something smaller that we can use for day drives to DS's football games around the state, but then I want all of the amenities and creature comforts of a big 40 footer!

We got some snow yesterday in Hartford, turned to rain in the evening, though, and nothing to scrape thankfully!

This is why I want Mickey's camper!!!

This fall we've kind of been tossing around the idea of something smaller that we can use for day drives to DS's football games around the state, but then I want all of the amenities and creature comforts of a big 40 footer!

Sounds like you need 2 letters of the alphabet....B and C...

Sitting here watching it snow shower outside:cold:, not sticking luckily. DW is on a 3 week vacation with her mother, so I am working on reservations :surfweb: for next September, looking like the 6th to the 16th. Also been online shopping for a new fifth wheel, if I can find one at a decent price. We like the Chapperal with the Front Living Room, Columbus by palomino with the Front kitchen, but then Grand Design came out with a 375 RE-R with a 12 foot garage under the living room that is very sweet:mickeybar......oh the decisions....:grouphug:

But hopefully we can get it early and do some camping with it before the Fort. Now just to decide. :faint:

Chris,

The week following Labor Day is among the slowest times of the year with the lowest crowds. I have my eye on that time for 2018 when Bama comes to Orlando to open the college football season against Louisville on Labor Day weekend. I'd stay over and want to tour the parks the old fashioned way - walk on, wait in line. No FP+, no ADR's. Other than it still being warm and rainy typically, it's a good time to go.

So make that reservation for next year. At worst you'd have to go in your current camper.

Bama Ed

PS - ever consider a pop-up? They're affordable, easily towed, easily stored, and you still end up spending a lot of time outside rather than dragging your living room out into the woods. Just thought I'd offer that suggestion.... :teeth:

PPS - my Aliner pop-up was built in your home state of Pennsylvania... :scratchin

Last edited:

Chris,

The week following Labor Day is among the slowest times of the year with the lowest crowds. I have my eye on that time for 2018 when Bama comes to Orlando to open the college football season against Louisville on Labor Day weekend. I'd stay over and want to tour the parks the old fashioned way - walk on, wait in line. No FP+, no ADR's. Other than it still being warm and rainy typically, it's a good time to go.

So make that reservation for next year. At worst you'd have to go in your current camper.

Bama Ed

PS - ever consider a pop-up? They're affordable, easily towed, easily stored, and you still end up spending a lot of time outside rather than dragging your living room out into the woods. Just thought I'd offer that suggestion.... :teeth:

PPS - my Aliner pop-up was built in your home state of Pennsylvania... :scratchin

Ed,
We are just trying to finalize our dates and make sure that is what we want to do and not a week later. We will be going in Sept no matter what we are towing.
Pop up just is not in it for us, we still have a dog and with her being the only pet left she will now travel with us more often than not. We are also still looking in to ditching it all and going full time in the RV.

Chris

I am working on reservations :surfweb: for next September, looking like the 6th to the 16th.

Also been online shopping for a new fifth wheel, if I can find one at a decent price. We like the Chapparal with the Front Living Room, Columbus by palomino
Chris,

I currently have reservations for Sept 9-16, but last week I found out the planned opening date for a new tower we are building at work is 9/9/16. It will have 9 ORs in it and I may need to be around for the opening. Still trying to forecast that far out. I have 2 good Project Managers that can handle things, but you never know. I'm kind of hoping it gets delayed.

And I looked at all the same trailer brands you are. Decided on the Chaparral. I liked Grand Design. That was a very close 2nd. The Columbus was very nice, but also very expensive at my local dealer that thought 10% off MSRP was a GREAT deal.

Have fun shopping and hopefully we can meet up in September.

And that's enough of that SNOW talk. If has been surprisingly warm here. Going to be 84 tomorrow. The first freeze is usually around mid-October. 40 one or two nights is as close as we've been.

j

Chris,

I currently have reservations for Sept 9-16, but last week I found out the planned opening date for a new tower we are building at work is 9/9/16. It will have 9 ORs in it and I may need to be around for the opening. Still trying to forecast that far out. I have 2 good Project Managers that can handle things, but you never know. I'm kind of hoping it gets delayed.

And I looked at all the same trailer brands you are. Decided on the Chaparral. I liked Grand Design. That was a very close 2nd. The Columbus was very nice, but also very expensive at my local dealer that thought 10% off MSRP was a GREAT deal.

Have fun shopping and hopefully we can meet up in September.

And that's enough of that SNOW talk. If has been surprisingly warm here. Going to be 84 tomorrow. The first freeze is usually around mid-October. 40 one or two nights is as close as we've been.

j

Teamubr,

We like the Chapparal, the Front Living room or the Mid bunk model. With the mid bunk model the dog would have her own room as well as our nephews when they do camp with us. I like the chapparal with the front living room also the columbus with the front kitchen is good. The grand design well has that huge storage area that we could carry both kayaks with us, but is it worth the added cost ?? So i really have it narrowed down to 4 different units at this time, and will have to take a good hard look at all of them, and make a list of pro's and cons. Maybe over the next few days, get that list, as i still have two more weeks until DW gets home.

will have to take a good hard look at all of them, and make a list of pro's and cons. Maybe over the next few days, get that list, as i still have two more weeks until DW gets home.
I could share my spreadsheet with weighted scoring... :-)

My DW called me a nerd.

j

We have been Jayco people for 17 years. After looking at Grand Design and their 3 year warranty. We'd consider one of their campers. Good luck in your search.

Sounds like you need 2 letters of the alphabet....B and C...

I hear you! We have the C letter right now, but at 31 feet it just isn't something I'd love to navigate around say, New Haven or Danbury. A shorter C or a B+ might be the ticket. But like last night, we had 4 adult sized people (DS has bypassed me in height, and his friend is close behind) and our two fairly large dogs hanging out comfortably inside because it was chilly out. I just don't know how comfortable we'd be in something smaller for times like that...not to mention sleeping space for all of us. Then of course the whole $$$ thing...no payments on our current rig, and that's awfully nice!

I just don't know how comfortable we'd be in something smaller for times like that...not to mention sleeping space for all of us. Then of course the whole $$$ thing...no payments on our current rig, and that's awfully nice!
The Cramped Space thing sounds like it's a "Once in a while" so I'd have to consider how often it would occur (once every couple of years... Once a year... more than once a year... etc.) and then decide there. Me, I'd like something that the DW would drive. She won't drive the truck with the TT attached. She did say she would drive a Class A-C as long as we weren't towing anything. (there goes the toad, right?)

She freaks out with me driving the big TT and wants a smaller one, but in the end, she wants all those comforts. Me. Give me a tent, a sleeping bag (sleeping mat optional but preferred) and a fire, and I am happy. :D

Me, I'd like a class A or C just so that while I am driving, I don't have to stop every time someone wants to go to the bathroom or to grab a snack.... It would also be nice too, to have someone make ME a sandwich, snack or drink as well. That way, I only really need to stop for gas, for ME to go to the bathroom or for sleep. :)

The Cramped Space thing sounds like it's a "Once in a while" so I'd have to consider how often it would occur (once every couple of years... Once a year... more than once a year... etc.) and then decide there. Me, I'd like something that the DW would drive. She won't drive the truck with the TT attached. She did say she would drive a Class A-C as long as we weren't towing anything. (there goes the toad, right?)

She freaks out with me driving the big TT and wants a smaller one, but in the end, she wants all those comforts. Me. Give me a tent, a sleeping bag (sleeping mat optional but preferred) and a fire, and I am happy. :D

Me, I'd like a class A or C just so that while I am driving, I don't have to stop every time someone wants to go to the bathroom or to grab a snack.... It would also be nice too, to have someone make ME a sandwich, snack or drink as well. That way, I only really need to stop for gas, for ME to go to the bathroom or for sleep. :)

Well, Paul, if you're going to fuel my fire by having me think of just how often we need all of the space we have, I'll fuel your fire and tell you how awesome a driveable RV is ;) We totally love having the bathroom and kitchen available when en route. Just like you said, we only stop when the driver and/or the dogs need to potty, the driver does get waited on in our rig :)

A class C is very easy to drive, but that might be easy for me to say since I also drove our truck and TT....though that was a smaller 23 footer behind our crew cab Tundra. Two drivers really is sweet, and can be a safety thing as well. Even just for time savings - DH got sick on the way home from WDW a few years ago. If he was our sole driver we would have spent a day or so around Richmond waiting for him to feel better, which would have meant an extra vacation day for each of us and a day out of school for DS. The way I see it, women make up the majority of the school bus driving force. They're navigating 35 or so feet around city streets with extremely precious cargo behind them, why would RV driving be any different? :thumbsup2

KirstinU.... Don't fuel my fire too much..... I might have to go out and find one.

Hopefully starting the new job with a good pay raise after this trip.... Might be something for me to consider. :)

One more thing to to consider is whether you need a truck outside of towing. When I was racing, I needed the truck. I also have a 114 year old house that always needs something redone, so a truck is handy, although not 100% necessary since I stopped racing.

If I was factoring in the price of a new dually and adding that to the 5er we just bought, I could definitely swing a Class C, but probably not the A that I would really want.

I have dreamed of having a nice big A pusher with my toad behind... Driving down the road, with DW and DS going to the BR when ever they wanted, watching the satellite, bringing me a sandwich instead of asking, "Where's the next rest stop?" and saying, "I don't want 'that' to eat." If money wasn't so hard to come by...

j

One more thing to to consider is whether you need a truck outside of towing. When I was racing, I needed the truck. I also have a 114 year old house that always needs something redone, so a truck is handy, although not 100% necessary since I stopped racing.
Funny thing is, I have been an SUV type of person. I was okay with that. I like the trucks but never really had a desire to have one. DW wanted the first camper (and she bought it). Our first TV was an older model Suburban. It did okay except when it came to hills. We would go to Knoebels her in PA, and there are a couple of STEEP hills that have to be negotiated. The one time it was an embarrassment as we barely made it up the hill at 20 MPH. The engine almost overheated too....

Since we were planning our first trip to the Fort at that point, DW wanted a reliable vehicle, so I traded in my Jeep Cherokee (my normal daily driver at the time) and was going to trade in the suburban (but dealer was only going to give us $300 so we sold it separately and privately for about $2k) and got my first truck. F-150 XLT Crew Cab (short box). I did love it, but now I have an F-250 Lariat Crew Cab. It's so nice to have the power function, room, etc... I hate the gas mileage, the registration, insurance, maintenance, etc.... But like you have a large old house, and it's come in QUITE handy for getting supplies. Plus as a hunter it's nice to have the bed to put the "Dirty" stuff in to take home and not worry about laying plastic (or similar) in the back of an SUV.

In my "Perfect" world, I'd have a small efficient daily commuter that could double as a toad for my Class A Pusher (that I don't own but dream about) and the Full size truck at home to get the Coal for the stove, the lumber for the house or just whatever I need a truck for.

Oh Yeah.... I'd also have a job that would pay me extremely well enough so that I could comfortably afford all these things without stressing out. That or large bank account (lottery, inheritance, great business deal, etc...)

Snow? I had to look at the dates on these posts to make sure they were current.

It was in the 80s all weekend here in NC. Unusually dry and hot. That cold front came through here last night to knock it down to a frigid 65 today but back to 80 tomorrow and Wednesday.

Sorry.

frigid 65
:cold:

Oh My! How do you handle that.... That's brutally Cold! Hope you don't get a case of the Flu. :sick:

Hope you get those "Mild" days back at 80. Only a few short months before summer again. :sunny:

Until then curl up in front of the fire place and have a couple of beverages :drinking1to keep you going.

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!