So, If you wait for school vacations-

momoftwins

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I have read with great interest the debate on taking one's children out of school for vacations. My twins are starting kindergarden next week, so this is something I will have to give a lot of consideration to before I plan a vacation.

Is going to the parks over Christmas, February vacations horrible? We have gone during Feb(the first week) twice and it was absolutely heaven. There were no crowds and it was easy to keep track of the kids. Of course, I never had to worry about school.

Disney and the airlines certainly do not make it cheap to go during these times. I can imagine the crowds can be terrible.

For those of you that do not take your children out of school, do you just bite the bullet and go to Disney over Christmas? What other kinds of vacations do you plan?

Thanks for sharing and have a great night.

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

We're taking my daughter out of Kindergarden for a week. I know she won't be missing anything, the teacher told me what they were doing. I think in the lower grades it's not so much a big deal. We are saving $ on airfare, the hotel....and best off all the crowds are gone. You can do twice as much in the same amt of time. I probably won't ever do more than a week at a time. We went in July once-HUGH crowds compared to Sept. we spent most of the day in line.

We go over April vacation. It is better when NY has a Spring break rather than a vacation at Easter. We go expecting crowds. My son is in Middle school now and he would have a hard time making up a weeks worth of work. Plus he plays sports. I thought about it when he was in elementary school but always went with the school vacations. They only go 180 days where we live.

My daughter was in 3rd grade when we went to WDW. The school district and the teacher didn't have a problem with this. All were aware of the vacation at the start of the school year. We went over Thanksgiving week because school was scheduled just three days and they had early dismissal due to parent/teacher conferences, She only missed one full day of school and I was able to have the teacher conference at another time.

We are planning a trip for 2002 and I'm contemplating taking her out of school again. I wanted to go in June, but won't be able to come up with enough money by then (unless there's a miracle). My next choice is to go over Thanksgiving again, but I'm concerned with her current school's policies. I wanted to vacation during the 100 Years Celebration. The days I plan to vacation would be Nov. 26th through Dec 6th - 10 days to see WDW, USF & Sea World.

The alternatives would be to go just before the next school year, in August, if we can save enough until then, or wait until 2003, when school lets out. I really don't want to go when the weather is hot or during hurricane season, or over Easter or Christmas. But then again, you can't have everything. So we're playing it by ear, and when everything is as good as it can be, we'll go.

We have taken the kids out during Halloween last year and will again for Halloween in 2002. Once my oldest hits Highschool we probably will stick with school breaks. Until then we just get the work and everyone does finew

I have a daughter in high school now and we are going during our
April vacation in 2002. After MCAS testing is done..comes vacation. But we
are going from Tues till Tues, which means she'll only miss 2 days of school.
The airfares were so high to fly down on Sat. till Sat. we opted for this instead.
I have taken her out of school when she was much younger, but the past
few years have always been near Easter break..Very crowded!, I'm so glad
that Easter falls in March in 2002, not April. Still Peak season, maybe by then
Disney will have some discounts, after Easter! Keeping my fingers crossed.

We have to take our kids out of school due to the timing of my work and my husband's business, there is no other time. We have only gone on 1 other family vacation and that was in 95 to WDW and how we are going early May 2002. I have already contacted the school and they will be missing some state testing but the counselors are working with me and the teachers and they will either take the tests before (preferably) or after. It is more important to have some quality family time. If we can do it a few years from now when they are in high school (and they want to come with us), then I will do it again. They can always make up the work.

We are going to WDW Feb 9-16 2002. It does not fall in school vacation time. Our kids -DS is in 7th grade and DD is in 3rd grade. I talked to my DD's teacher the first day of school and told her of our plans and she said no problem, we will work together so all of her work is done. My son is a very good student, so him getting caught up won't be a problem. We are going with our school's blessing! I don't make a habit of pulling the kids out, but sometimes other things are more important!!

Speaking of family memories.............I remember my parent's taking me to Europe my Junior year and I missed nearly 2 wks. I don't remember much about what I missed, but I sure can remember our vacation. It was the Jubilee in England and I still have the souvenirs in my china cabinet. I was an honor roll student that year so I guess I caught up. I also learned a lot of history on my dad's side of the family and it will always be remembered. This has been over twenty years ago, sometimes those family memories are the most important things in life.

We have always taken our kids during the school year for a week and a half. I was concerned last year because the kids missed 8 days of school. We have always talked to the teachers and the principal. The teachers have always been super and the principal told us that the kids get more benefit from family time than the time they would miss in school. We try to get most of their homework before we go, so they don't have a lot to do on the trip. We drive so they usually finish it in the car before we even get to Orlando!

I would not even blink an eye over taking a kindergartener out for any reason.We did it in kindergarten and the teacher just said "go have fun". We did not even have to make up the missed work.We are going to Disney in January and again DS will miss a full week.This time I am a little more concerned about the make up work he will have to get done but still have no resevations about the timming of the trip.IHe is now 3rd grade. feel so strongly that travel is so educational that it deserves specail concideration in school absent rules. Family time is also very important to us too and while we let DS know school is very important, we want him to understand that it not the only way to learn and grow.Have a wonderful trip!
Jordan's mom

I have always taken my kids out of school for vacations-from the time the youngest was 6 till the oldest was 17. Our school system was very good about this. In elementary school the teacher would usually have them keep a journal. In HS, most teachers were good about giving make-up work. Believe it or not, the worst class for missing was gym class-in HS here you have to make up any missed gym classes! I've gone to several "make-up" classes/seminars with them as they get extra credit for bringing a parent! As the kids got older, our trips got shorter so they usually missed only 3 or 4 days of school. I'm thinking about taking my youngest DS in Dec 2002 when he'll be a senior in HS, but plan it so he misses only 3 days of school. Of course, all this is possible as my kids (for the most part) were good students and were able to complete the missed work by self study.

I think the family time far outweighs what they'd be learning in school for one short week. My kids have great memories of our trips to WDW and I know I'll never forget the experiences. Do it now when the kids are younger than 18 as they grow up so fast-I'm already feeling very sad about my kids leaving home, even though my oldest is going to local community college so he'll still be home a couple more years.

When my kids were in elementary scholl we always took them out for a week either before or after Spring Break, that way we had 2 weeks. Of course that was before the MCAS testing. When they got to middle school we limited it to just vacation time. In high school we started going during the summer and we love it. It's hot but the parks are open later and the kids like to tour at night anyway now that they are older. Now DS is a freshman in college but still likes to tour with us so summer is perfect for our family trip.

In answer to your question about whether the Dec. and Feb. crowds are really that horrible....as is evidenced by these boards, the answer depends on your personal likes and dislikes. We HATE the huge crowds and have jiggled our timing around many times to find just the right time to go. The week between Christmas and New Year's is, for us, a nightmare! Just wayyyy too many people. But some people love the party atmoshere and the crowds of fun loving people. It just depends on what you are looking for.
There is nothing quite as festive as Disney at Christmas time and it is worth taking your kids out of school for. Just go BEFORE Christmas! :p I agree that the family memories that are made at WDW far outweigh some make up work for school! Whenever my kids are sad or afraid or hurting from a "boo-boo", guess what it is we think of to make the "bad" go away? I do it too!!:D
So take em out of school and go enjoy the "magic"! They are yours for only so long.

Dream

First of all - our blessings to you in raising twins. Our 3 DD's are each spaced out 3 years and we have challanges --- can't imangine what you are going through.

Last year we took our oldest DD out of 1st grade for a week long trip to DL. We told her teacher the first week of school. She had no problem with this and wanted DD#1 to present an oral report of her trip.

We enjoyed this time as a family soooooo much...we are doing it again this year. It was a blessing to take the money normally spent on gifts and take a family vacation. Our DD's never missed a thing. We've already spoken to her 2nd grade teacher about doing the same thing ---- no problems.

Am already planning a 2 week trip the following year...1 week on the Disney Magic + 1 week at the parks. Will be taking 2 DD's out of school (kindergarden & 3rd grade).

Will plan to speak with each teacher the first week of school and review a month prior to going.

Going on "off times" are WONDERFUL!!! We enjoyed having the parks to ourselves (at most times). The travel and lodgeing discounts are substantial. Enjoy.

As I get ready to send my only two off to kindergarden Wednesday (boy, I will need a big box of Kleenex), I am so glad I did this post. My husband and I agree that the years only go by once and our family time together can never be taken for granted.

We will enjoy our week Feb 2 - 9, 2002 and take home with us memories that will last all of us a lifetime. God bless you and your families. I hope we all have a safe and enjoyable school year!

Have a great Disney day,
Pam

We took our DD out of 1st grade twice to go to WDW last year, and she still made straight A's. It really depends on the child, and their ability to catch up. You might want to ask their teacher for some work to take with them, so they won't be behind when they get back.

If you do decide to go while they have a school break, just be prepared for large crowds and higher room rates.

January is also a nice time to go, and you will be able to get value rates!

Have a TeRriFiC TiME:):D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter