So many questions about Spring Break quick trip

traveljunkie

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I am trying to plan a pre-graduation spring break trip :scared: and I'm not sure what to do. A little background--It'll be our first visit since Harry Potter additions. Taking my two daughters (21, 17). We are only visiting UO/IOA, no other parks. I'm looking at arriving at MCO 11:30 am on Mar 23 (Fri) and taking a 7:00pm flight Mar 28 (Wed).

I want to stay one night at a deluxe for EP. Rates for deluxe are $500+/night so unfortunately I can't stay the whole time. It adds over $1,000 to stay the whole time. I'm considering staying 4 nights at Cabana Bay or an offsite hotel and 1 night at one of the deluxe (RP was lowest currently). Trying mostly to figure out what makes most sense on which night to stay at deluxe. How much a pain moving around is going to be. I'm thinking Saturday night at deluxe may be best since it'll be the busiest park day? The first night doesn't make sense since we won't arrive til mid afternoon and last night doesn't make sense since we have to fly out and miss the last full day/night. ARGH so many questions!

We have 3 day passes we bought a couple years ago from UT which I wanted to upgrade to AP but it looks like using them the rest of this trip not possible since there's a blackout.

UT price for hotels slightly lower than Universal has online, any comments on the difference between the two sites?

I don't think I want to rent a car and hassle with parking etc. So is there enough to do/eat close by?

Marti Gras is going on, does that influence park opening/closings/lines even more than the crazy spring break brings?

I know you experts can help me sort out what makes the most sense for moving around hotels, park days and the hassle of it all :crazy2:.

Thank you so much!

I hate moving resorts/hotels since it just wastes so much time, especially on a short trip. You might want to look into adding the express pass to your ticket for a day, March 24th (Saturday) is the cheaper than March 25-28.

We have been to Uni for multiple 8 day stays and there are still restaurants I have yet to eat at. There is plenty of food options for a month on site.

Even if you can't afford the Deluxe resort, stay on site - it still allows for easy travel back and forth to your room during the day, and you can pool hop to experience the other on site hotels.

Of course, I would continue to look at other places in the budget to eek out one night stay at deluxe to get 2 days of Express.

Hi we did this in July on our week trip. We were at Cabana Bay for 7 nights Thursday to Friday. I had booked one night at RPR for Wednesday to get two day EP. Yes I paid for both hotels for one night but it still came out cheaper then buying EP for 4 people for 1 day. We kept all our stuff at CBBR and put the "do not disturb" sign up. We walked to Sapphire Falls then went over to RPR. We checked in at 7:00 am on Wednesday morning then off to the parks.We brought some things we might want to use for RPR. We actually enjoyed the room for a bit. It was a short walk from the parks. It sounds like you would do the same as me mid trip and book the one night. We will do split stays often but it is usually at least 3 nights in one hotel to move all that stuff.

Yes we use Tony Hinds for our transportation to and from the airport. He has a thread on this board and might be worth it. We love using Tony and he is the only way we transport back and forth.

I love not having a car on property. There are so many restaurant choices between the resorts and City Walk and everything is a quick walk, bus or boat ride.

I usually book right through Universal's website I have not used UT.

I have not gone in March so I am not sure on the parks then.

Enjoy your trip!

Switching hotels doesn't have to be a hassle. If you don't unpack your suitcases, or at least keep everything organized, it should be quick and easy to pack everything up on your check-out day of hotel #1. You can then bring your bags down and have them transferred to hotel #2. Drop them off on your way out to the parks. When you leave the parks, you'll simply just go to hotel #2 and take a few extra minutes to check-in and then bell services can deliver your bags to your room. If it gives you express pass and saves you money, its worth it IMO.

We never have a car and never leave property. Not even sure what the parking lots look like! lol! Between all the on-site hotels, City Walk, and the parks there's tons of dining options at all price points and speeds in walking/water taxi/bus distance.

Thank you for everyone's replies. Sorry I haven't been on to reply. We had doggy sadness this week when our 17 1/2 yr old fur baby passed away :guilty:.
In a panic--I booked Cabana Bay for the entire time through Undercover Tourist (fully cancelable). It was $80 less than Universal site. But I am still looking at hotel rates multiple times a day and doing the math of what makes the most sense. Not that I can't afford it, just detest the thought of paying $567 for one night but I understand the value of the FOL. Also, I'm a total ride weinie so I need to do the math on purchasing FOL pass for 2. Can you buy these at the resorts?

Another issue, if I did stay 1 night at CB then the following at RP then back to CB (not double booking), then I would have problems checking out from CB--I do not have my AP yet-was planning to upgrade the last day we use it (this is a block out period so I can't do it the first day). Funny I just answered my own question!! These are not APH rates. Well, IF they ever come out for my dates, then I would have an issue. I guess as of right now, that's not an issue....

I have used Tony before for transportation to WDW but that was before the Uber/Lyft days. I will decide on that later. Good to know about all the food/entertainment/shopping options right there. Renting a car is not on my radar for this trip.

I really appreciate all the help!

Hugs
It’s sad to lose your pet
I’m sorry and know it’s a tough thing to go through

When rooms are that expensive as you listed for the deluxe, the parks will be packed
Buying the ep will be at a higher price also
Possibly run the numbers of deluxe again as they include free unlimited ep for the three of you

If you stayed at cabana bay and bought single usage ep, price could be higher than one night deluxe

You have the deluxe perks for day you check in and out
With the ep

Macraven thank you for the virtual hugs! Two dogs crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 7 months--too hard!!!

Still working out my details for which days where. More than likely I will stay in a deluxe to get the perk since it's going to be packed. FOL pass VERY pricey--$867.59!!! (incl tax) for 3ppl x 2 days:headache:

When you consider that half of that price for two days of ep ($434) is per day, deluxe hotel could end up cheaper as ep is free

Do one night of deluxe and get that day and check out day with hotel free ep for all

You could book Cabana bay for the second and third night night stay
The deluxe hotel can move your luggage for you when you switch hotels

If you arrive day 1 for a 3 night stay, do the value hotel first night but then you would have to change hotels each night

Sometimes it not worth doing 3 single night reservations to save money

You arrive late for the first night and will do the parks on your schedule
If you get to the parks around noontime, the free ep will be extremely valuable

Deluxe hotel guests get unlimited ep
usage
The cheaper ep you buy is for each ride/ show once only
The unlimited purchase ep is too expensive

Make the room reservation soon as demand and supply will happen and room prices could increase

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter