So we just planned a trip for July 4 week...

Me too. I am planning for major crowds and chaos, but hoping for the best. Last year crowds were smaller than usual for July 4th week. I am hoping that happens again. Before the reservation system went crazy there were plenty of rooms at all levels for room only under both the promo and AP rates. Also, I had no problems getting FP made and rearranged that week, so I am hopeful and excited to see the fireworks. Nighttime touring is always my favorite!
DD used to be a strict bedtime kid, but now that she's older we can finally enjoy evenings in the park. It has made a huge difference!

I'm going to be there that week for the first time too. The crowd calendars I have checked do not agree with each other: kennythepirate says "insane crowds" but touringplans says an average of 7 out of 10 all week. I plan to do MK on July 3rd and Epcot on July 4th but I hadn't really planned on getting to the parks until around 3pm each day. I know I won't make it if I go in earlier and try to deal with the heat all day. Hopefully with an AP and staying onsite I won't have problems getting in the parks.

Same. Going to MK on the 4th. We cannot do the whole "get there early and stay all day" thing -- between the heat, the crowds, and with two kids in tow... the magic would have melted away long before fireworks time for sure. Like you, we're hoping the AP and onsite stay will help us get in later on. If not, c'est la vie.

Last edited:
We are traveling the 28th-5th. We are planning the 4th as a non-park day. Since we're staying at the Poly, we will watch fireworks from there. It is our 1st time visiting in July; We have visited Memorial Day before, and know it will be hot. On the 3rd, we will be doing the SW guided tour (so excited!). I am praying that crowds will not be insane, but I've prepped the family-we went in 2014 the week of Christmas (left on the 23rd), so figure it can't be more crowded than that.

Im making my first 4th of July trip this year. Im planning on MK on the 3rd, and Epcot on the 4th. What is the chance of MK being at capacity on the 3rd? Trying to decide if I should drive down the 2nd in the evening, or if getting to MK around 2 on the 3rd would be ok and Id get in. Im staying on property, so i don't know if that matters or not. Thanks! Cant wait for the fireworks!! party:

We'll be there June 28-July 5, splitting our stay between Beach Club and CR. It'll be crowded but I'm excited anyway. We have a VIP guide so the plan is to use her to ride as much as we can during the day at MK on the 3rd, and then we are actually watching the fireworks from our room. We could have done the reserved route but I don't wanna be amongst all those people lol. For the 4th, she's taking us to Epcot and AK, and we will be watching the fireworks at Epcot, if my kids can last.

What time do the special fireworks start at both MK and EPCOT?
They are both listed at 9 pm, but that could change if they extend the hours at MK. Epcot wouldn't change, they always do Illuminations at 9p 365 days a year.

We'll be there June 28-July 5, splitting our stay between Beach Club and CR. It'll be crowded but I'm excited anyway. We have a VIP guide so the plan is to use her to ride as much as we can during the day at MK on the 3rd, and then we are actually watching the fireworks from our room. We could have done the reserved route but I don't wanna be amongst all those people lol. For the 4th, she's taking us to Epcot and AK, and we will be watching the fireworks at Epcot, if my kids can last.

Blah, quite following me. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That VIP stuff sounds awesome. I've tossed that idea around a few times but haven't had the right trip/group/timing for it to quite make sense yet. Maybe someday.

Have fun!

Does anyone have experience with a park actually closing it's doors because of capacity? Do they start a line? How do they do it?

Blah, quite following me. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That VIP stuff sounds awesome. I've tossed that idea around a few times but haven't had the right trip/group/timing for it to quite make sense yet. Maybe someday.

Have fun!

LMAO! YOU'RE following ME!

For real though, the VIP guide is worth the money but only during busy times or with a large group. We don't do it every time. We have a large group again on this trip, and for some it's their first trip, so we are trying to make the most of the 3 days they are joining us.

Have a great trip!

LMAO! YOU'RE following ME!

For real though, the VIP guide is worth the money but only during busy times or with a large group. We don't do it every time. We have a large group again on this trip, and for some it's their first trip, so we are trying to make the most of the 3 days they are joining us.

Have a great trip!

Ha. Thank goodness I won't be at CR. :lmao:

Txs for the feedback on the tour.

They are both listed at 9 pm, but that could change if they extend the hours at MK. Epcot wouldn't change, they always do Illuminations at 9p 365 days a year.

I just hate know-it-alls, and here I am doing it to you. :p BUT, they actually show Illuminations at 9:30 p.m. during the Candlelight Processional time. So it's more like "they always do Illuminations at 9p about 325 days a year". :flower3:

My family and I will be there during the same timeframe, but we are avoiding the parks so other than trying to be a smarty pants, I have nothing of value to offer to this thread; sure appreciate all the great information though.

I just hate know-it-alls, and here I am doing it to you. :p BUT, they actually show Illuminations at 9:30 p.m. during the Candlelight Processional time. So it's more like "they always do Illuminations at 9p about 325 days a year". :flower3:

My family and I will be there during the same timeframe, but we are avoiding the parks so other than trying to be a smarty pants, I have nothing of value to offer to this thread; sure appreciate all the great information though.
Duly noted! lol!!

We are planning the same. MK on the 3rd and Epcot on the 4th. We are planning to be in both parks all day, and I'm hoping we don't regret it. We have a late lunch/early dinner on the 4th in Epcot and a lunch on the 3rd. We are planning our FP in the morning and inside rides in the afternoons at an easy pace before getting a spot for fireworks. Hopefully we survive lol.

We arrive July 6. I'm hoping the crowds will have dissipated a wee bit. It's gonna be an awesome week either way though

DH and I are considering a spur of the moment trip down there thanks to a deep discount at CBR. We would mostly go for the pool and just a get-a-way as we were there in April for 9 days. I do think we would do MK one day though. Leaning towards the 4th with the extended hours. For those that have gone, would we be better to hit Wednesday or Thursday?

Does anyone have experience with a park actually closing it's doors because of capacity? Do they start a line? How do they do it?
MK had phased closings several days during our Christmas 2015 trip. I remember leaving Animal Kingdom on one of the days and getting in line for the bus to MK...a cast member scanned our magic bands before allowing us to board the bs to MK (checking to make sure we had the proper clearance to go to MK). We had park hoppers so we were allowed to enter.

I will be there as well for the 4th, normally we go to Disney during the 2nd week of June but we pushed a few weeks. We are staying at POP this time after staying at AoA last year in the Cars Suite. We are not worried about doing everything at MK on the 3rd or 4th because we plan on doing two more days at MK that week. :)

Thank you so much!!! Somebody kept telling me they were at Midnight.....Like its New Years Eve or something. I new that couldn't be right!!!!

This will be our first time going to WDW during the 4th of July holiday. Have they ever closed MK or Epcot for either the 3rd or 4th? We will be staying at the BC and plan to walk over to the International Gateway later in the evening on the 4th. I would hate to be prevented for going in the park.

This will be our first time there that week as well. Planning on MK on the 3rd and EP on the 4th. We made ADR's at both parks on both days. According to my research in the past 10 years the MK had a Phase 2 closure on July 4, 2014 and a Phase 3 closure on July 4, 2013. The only Phase 4 closure at the MK was on April 7, 2009 (the same year they also experienced Phase 2 and Phase 3 closures during the same week). We were there that week...it was INSANELY crowded. Like could not MOVE crowded. We were in the back of the park by BTMR and took the train back up to the front because it was impossible to walk and we left MK by like 11:00 am. The signs were already up out front when we left announcing the phased closures. I am hoping it's not THAT busy this year but that's also one reason why we're doing MK on the 3rd. I am hoping the South American tour groups are limited in number too again this year as they were last summer. We plan to arrive at MK by 11:00 on the 3rd for an early lunch ADR at the Plaza then we have dinner at CRT. On the 4th (depending how late we're out on the 3rd) we may do HS in the am then water taxi over to EP around the time the WS opens. We have dinner at Tokyo Dining that night and may to just watch the fireworks from the steps of the Japan pavilion after we finish dinner. I have high hopes that EP will be manageable on the 4th as I was just looking at restaurant availability yesterday and there are still openings to be found at most places (except LeCellier & Via Napoli for the most part).

FWIW:
A Phase 2 Closure means the only guests allowed thru are: Those staying at a Disney resort, AP holders, Those re-entering the park that day, those "hopping" from another park, those with in-park reservations or appts., those arriving via Disney transportation.

A Phase 3 closure means the only guests allowed thru are: Those staying at a Disney Resort, AP holders, those with in-park reservations or appts.

A Phase 4 closure means the park is closed to all arriving guests.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!