So What's Up With Mousekeeping?

Thank you! My DD is in DCP currently and is housekeeping. It wasn't her first choice (or 2nd or 3rd lol), but I know she goes in every single day with the expectation to make magic. She takes her job very serious, as do all the CPs she has worked with. Our last three visits to WDW I have been more focused on the CPs working at Disney, and have been seriously impressed with every one we encountered. I guarantee you if Disney is having an issue with housekeeping (which I don't believe they are!), it's not the CPs that are the problem.

I always am so impressed with the CPs-they are very conscientious Cast Members.

Their youth adds so much "energy"-WDW would not be the same at all without the CPs!:)

I've been twice this year and didn't have any problems. We don't use mousekeeping much, but the rooms were very clean when we arrived and the staff did a great job when the rooms needed to be cleaned.

I didn't BLAME the customer. You did not interpret that right. So please don't "Uh, no." me. There is no point in being rude, especially if you did not interpret something in the correct manner. Disney has a 70% return rate. SEVENTY. That means that the majority of guests have been there before. The Disney experience (and what they do to ensure it) is "common knowledge" to most at this point. So yes, I feel that if you walk away with a specific, correctable bad experience (such as room issues) at Disney without giving them an opportunity to correct it...it's kind of on you. It does not mean that it's their FAULT they got bad service. If something is bad enough to complain about on a forum...it's bad enough to say something to guest relations or to a cast member.

Also, I used my PERSONAL DVC experience as an example to my point. I had CLEARLY stated "in some places" cleaning services were not daily.

I suggest that if you're going to be overtly critical about what someone is saying (especially unnecessarily); that you actually READ and digest what they're saying properly.
My reading comprehension is fine, thanks. Saying it is the customer's fault for not saying anything was clear.
I didn't BLAME the customer. You did not interpret that right. So please don't "Uh, no." me. There is no point in being rude, especially if you did not interpret something in the correct manner. Disney has a 70% return rate. SEVENTY. That means that the majority of guests have been there before. The Disney experience (and what they do to ensure it) is "common knowledge" to most at this point. So yes, I feel that if you walk away with a specific, correctable bad experience (such as room issues) at Disney without giving them an opportunity to correct it...it's kind of on you. It does not mean that it's their FAULT they got bad service. If something is bad enough to complain about on a forum...it's bad enough to say something to guest relations or to a cast member.

Also, I used my PERSONAL DVC experience as an example to my point. I had CLEARLY stated "in some places" cleaning services were not daily.

I suggest that if you're going to be overtly critical about what someone is saying (especially unnecessarily); that you actually READ and digest what they're saying properly.
Here is my personal view....

1) Like said before, people really only report the negative stuff. Not the outstanding or "expected" service they receive.

2) You combine that (point 1) with what I see becoming an almost insane level of entitlement some our fellow guests feel Disney "owes" them. Some of this may come with the prices we pay now...but still most of it I feel is unwarranted. People will complain left and right about the most trivial things now.

3) Lack of knowledge. Some people don't get that Mousekeepers don't exactly visit every single day in some places. And when you expect that...you'd equate that to poor service rather than SOP. When I first made the jump to DVC...and started staying on property that was something I had to get used to because I was previously unaware.

4) I've personally never had a problem.

5) I feel MOST people who complain about conditions at Disney are frauds. The reason I say this is because if you ever have ANY issues...all you need is express your concerns to a cast member. And if valid they will be taken care of expeditiously. Like the New York subways...if you see something...say something. If you didn't say something about your negative experience...it's your fault I feel.

ALLLL of that being said....I will say this. Being somewhat of a Disney purist...and having had traveled their since 1986...

I do feel that as a WHOLE...the customer service levels have dropped. They are by no means TERRIBLE and are still better than most places. But some of the little things seem to be being overlooked in training. For example....being guided to something in a store instead of being directed to it. Having correct answers to some simpler questions. Little things like that. They are still great and I appreciate the job that cast members do. I've personally never had an issue with Mousekeeping in all of my years travelling to Disney. And any issue I've ever had, Disney has been MORE than accommodating about it when warranted.

Yep, perfectly clear to me. :thumbsup2

Wasn't pointing the blame on anyone. I was just pointing out what I was hearing on some of the resort threads where folks were wondering if the lack of upkeep had something to do with the intern program. If it was, it wasn't the fault of the interns, but those who train them. Kinda worried someone would take offense at that, that's why we try to word our message carefully, guess i didn't :rolleyes1 Sorry if I stepped on toes, I'm a big supporter of these kinds of programs and education in general. Probably shouldn't have started this thread...:scratchin
I didnt mean to point any blame either and didn't feel that my toes were stepped on - just wanted to point out that it's not a new program, so it seems like that rumor must be innacurate, that's all. I've never seen that reason mentioned before and figured I'd clarify since I have CP experience. But yeah, I didn't realize this was such a heated topic!

When we stayed club level at the CR for spring break, we did not get the turndown service. We were out of our room every evening, and we only use the "do not disturb" sign at night when we are sleeping. We were sad about it (just a little) but assumed they were just too busy. Never occurred to me that it could have been housekeeping being lazy? Seems doubtful but maybe. That's the only time I've felt let down by housekeeping at WDW. Usually we are very happy when we come back in the evening to freshly made beds, empty trash cans, and lots of clean towels!

I didnt mean to point any blame either and didn't feel that my toes were stepped on - just wanted to point out that it's not a new program, so it seems like that rumor must be innacurate, that's all. I've never seen that reason mentioned before and figured I'd clarify since I have CP experience. But yeah, I didn't realize this was such a heated topic!
Yeah, I didn't think it would be either! Just saw some folks talking about it and thought I'd present it here. We've never had a problem with mousekeeping, so I thought it seemed kinda strange what they were saying about it. Another thing is that they may have been referring to upkeep of DVC rentals, which may have a different protocol (not sure as I'm not familiar with DVC), in which case I may have misunderstood the whole story and opened my big mouth without fully understanding :scratchin But all is good and I look forward to our mousekeeping experience in a few weeks :thumbsup2

Last edited:
FWIW just to add my personal experience with Mousekeeping-I have over 300 nights in a Disney Resort since 2003 and my room has been "forgotten" a grand total of THREE times-pretty good record I think!:)

I have never had an issue with Mousekeeping. Now that we are DVC I SO much prefer not having strangers in my room. DH and I expect a clean room to start with, and after that we are plenty clean ourselves. No need for a made bed. We can reuse our towels a few times without problems.

When you called Housekeeping, what was the response? I mean, obviously that room hadn't been cleaned, so you must have gotten in touch with someone about it.

We got a verbal apology and a promise for a thorough vacuum the next time we were out of the room. Unfortunately, we were out of the room for about 7 hours (and communicated that that was the plan to housekeeping) and the room was no cleaner than when we left it.

This is good to know Shanti. I agree that people tend to talk more about bad experiences than the good ones, I'm probably no exception. Lol, need to quit reading the negative stuff with our trip so close pixiedust:
Really :) I mean, the thousands and thousands and thousands of guests every day who get the expected or better cleaning and clean room, don't post about it.

Really :) I mean, the thousands and thousands and thousands of guests every day who get the expected or better cleaning and clean room, don't post about it.
Yep. No one bothers to post when the only thing to report is everything is normal. At least most don't

I went with friends in May. For the first time, they rented DVC points. I made a point of telling them that the room wasn't cleaned every day and that the trash was only taken out on the 4th day, but somehow they forgot. When they politely complained to the front desk, the CM explained how DVC works, but gave them extra towels just the same. I'm guessing at least some people who complain about not having the room cleaned every day have rented points and didn't realize how that works.

I have never had any problems with mousekeeping. With the number of visits I've made, I would expect issues once in a great while. The CMs are only human. :)

The last time we went to Pop we did have issues. When we went back to the room midday, the majority of the time they were in the process of cleaning or hadn't cleaned yet. A few times, we waited for them to finish or had to call MK to clean when we left for the night. A bit annoying, but it could be we were the last room, 4th floor corner on the rotation to be cleaned.

We did have a problem with housekeeping on our last trip. The previous guests had apparently been ill and our room stunk of vomit. I had to complain 3 times before they finally sent someone to shampoo. (The first two times, they did the equivalent of febreezing). Because it was such an unusual situation, I don't know that I would take it as a sign that housekeeping has gone downhill. I was more disappointed in the lackadaisical attitude of guest services, who didn't even apologize that we had to deal with the issue.

Oddly, the bad service on the vomit issue made me more appreciative when we met CMs who went above and beyond. I made sure to speak to guest services at the parks a few times to praise particular people.

Saying it is the customer's fault for not saying anything was clear.

If you have a problem and you say nothing, the rest of the experience IS your fault. You have to speak up. If housekeepers are erroneously adding rooms to the "finished"'list, there is no way for management to know unless we speak up. If you don't speak up, they can't fix it.

Same with dining. You either need to speak up at the time to try to get the food or service fixed or you need to find a manager at the end to explain why the tip is going to be lower than expected. You have to tell them so they can fix things (in the second scenario there it's so management can know that the tip isn't just because you're choral, but because there was a problem).

The poster wasn't saying the uncleaned room was the fault of someone who doesn't speak up, but if you don't speak up things can't be helped. So the rest of the experience is the fault of the person who doesn't speak up.

Every so often we don't feel we have the time etc to speak up, or something is just so easy to avoid in the future and was overall bad from start to finish (looking at you, Via Napoli warehouse, service, and food), but we donthat KNOWING that we have now become part of the problem.

We got a verbal apology and a promise for a thorough vacuum the next time we were out of the room. Unfortunately, we were out of the room for about 7 hours (and communicated that that was the plan to housekeeping) and the room was no cleaner than when we left it.

Well that's a bummer.

My trip last year the only housekeeping problem I had was that I would hang up towels to reuse them, and they would replace them with new anyway. They were over-zealous.

My trip last year the only housekeeping problem I had was that I would hang up towels to reuse them, and they would replace them with new anyway. They were over-zealous.

Yep, that was our "problem" as well. We are just two adults and reuse our towels at home so why not on vacation? But, we always had new towels and we were out of the room usually before 11 and back usually around 6. Room was cleaned, trash tossed, beds made. In over 60 trips to Disney World, I think we had one complaint about housekeeping and we did that at the front desk at All Stars and had someone there in a few minutes to take the left dirty towels out of our room. We just asked if we should leave them outside the door or if someone would be there.

our room stunk of vomit.

I am pretty easy-going about room conditions and cleanliness in general but I have to say that a room smelling of vomit would have me requesting a room change. I'm so sorry you had this issue and that it wasn't promptly resolved.

Seriously, I think I'd rather find a used condom is the bed sheets (previous DIS thread).

Not once. Not ever. Had problems of course, but never directly caused by Mousekeeping. They were just the ones that had to clean it up at 12am. Our rooms have always been meticulously cleaned and neatly restocked, on both coasts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!