So, When *IS* The Best Time to Go?

Christine

DIS Veteran
Hey all, I'm just back from my first-ever November trip and sitting here having the post-trip blues and thinking of things I could have done better.

This was the first "Fall" trip I've ever taken. I was really looking forward to it since my last few trips were in the summer and the heat was unbearable.
For this trip, we had decent whether. Each day was above 80 degrees and we had two days that "felt like 88" and "felt like 94." I found myself really enjoying those two hot days because they made me want to go to the pool and it felt like summer. The other days were pleasant, but it you could very quickly feel a chill if a cloud came. I really didn't like that.

Having said all that, I wonder when I should plan my next trip?

Two times I went in April it got chilly and rainy.
The July/August dates were brutal.
When I think back, I do like May so there's that.

How do you all feel about late September or October.

I'm also concerned about crowds. I didn't have a choice on weeks this year due to so many in my party, but in hindsight, the 1st week of November was not good because of the marathon and Jersey week colliding. I thought the crowds were worse than on my July trips and I don't want to repeat that again. I realize there is no low-crowd time, but I am looking for a time that's consistently pool/water park weather without killing me with heat, and maybe a little quieter?

Don’t go in October if you’re concerned about crowds. Late October is better than the beginning of the month but so many schools have fall breaks now and we’ve had so many years of guide books sites etc telling people to go in the fall that it’s crowded now.

Like a lot of questions people ask on the boards, there is no best answer that will suit everyone. Crowds are an issue year round, because Disney has gotten adept at filling random weekends with marathon nonsense. They also understaff intentionally at times so low crowds may not mean low waits.

The best thing to do is try to go when most kids are in school, there isn’t a marathon, and the weather is tolerable to you. Then go in expecting crowds, and have a plan to deal with them. It it’s in your budget, book After Hours and/or dessert parties to mitigate crowd impact, use FP+ wisely, etc.

There is really no best times anymore. You just go when it fits your schedule and it is when you want to visit.

For the most part, summer is slower now than it has ever been, but it is dang hot. Disney is crowded all of the time.

Don’t go in October if you’re concerned about crowds. Late October is better than the beginning of the month but so many schools have fall breaks now and we’ve had so many years of guide books sites etc telling people to go in the fall that it’s crowded now.

Like a lot of questions people ask on the boards, there is no best answer that will suit everyone. Crowds are an issue year round, because Disney has gotten adept at filling random weekends with marathon nonsense. They also understaff intentionally at times so low crowds may not mean low waits.

The best thing to do is try to go when most kids are in school, there isn’t a marathon, and the weather is tolerable to you. Then go in expecting crowds, and have a plan to deal with them. It it’s in your budget, book After Hours and/or dessert parties to mitigate crowd impact, use FP+ wisely, etc.

Yes, great advice. I know that crowds will never be low. But there has to be some times that aren't horrific. Both my spouse and I are in our 50s, kids are adults (who still like to go with us) and we find we are enjoying the quieter resort times, pools, restaurants. I honestly am okay with it crowded in the park, but last week the lobby at the GF seemed a little insane as did some other resorts. I've been before and just hadn't really noticed all the resort crowds before. The restaurants were harder than usual to get ADRs in, seemed louder than usual, etc. We went to The Wave one night and it was our only "calm" meal and we loved it (been there before so it wasn't just because it was new to us).

There was just an overall sense of so many people. My daughter (28) said she was going home and locking herself in her house for 3 days just to be alone!! Honestly I don't think we have experienced so many people before. Again, this was mainly at the resorts and restaurants.

I've been in late April/early May and I found it to be the perfect combo of moderate crowds and great weather. Definitely warm enough for the pool, and it's in that sweet spot between spring break and summer crowds. Plus it's the Flower & Garden festival at Epcot, which is just beautiful.

I've been in late April/early May and I found it to be the perfect combo of moderate crowds and great weather. Definitely warm enough for the pool, and it's in that sweet spot between spring break and summer crowds. Plus it's the Flower & Garden festival at Epcot, which is just beautiful.

Good to know! I think I may go back to my early May trips again now that school schedules are no longer a concern.

Yes, great advice. I know that crowds will never be low. But there has to be some times that aren't horrific. Both my spouse and I are in our 50s, kids are adults (who still like to go with us) and we find we are enjoying the quieter resort times, pools, restaurants. I honestly am okay with it crowded in the park, but last week the lobby at the GF seemed a little insane as did some other resorts. I've been before and just hadn't really noticed all the resort crowds before. The restaurants were harder than usual to get ADRs in, seemed louder than usual, etc. We went to The Wave one night and it was our only "calm" meal and we loved it (been there before so it wasn't just because it was new to us).

There was just an overall sense of so many people. My daughter (28) said she was going home and locking herself in her house for 3 days just to be alone!! Honestly I don't think we have experienced so many people before. Again, this was mainly at the resorts and restaurants.

Here’s the thing: we’re only talking a matter of degrees. The new normal at WDW is “crowded” and “zombie apocalypse”, like this past Saturday night at Epcot (I opted for the Studios and enjoyed a much more chill time at Galaxy’s Edge).

The lobby at GF was probably crazy because they just put their famous holiday display up. Deluxe resorts as a rule are always going to be busier this time of year because they attract a lot of visitors who want to see the decorations. But even at allegedly low crowd times you’ll get spikes of higher activity. Party days during the season see fewer crowds at parks who then cram everything in on the few non party days.

Here’s the thing: we’re only talking a matter of degrees. The new normal at WDW is “crowded” and “zombie apocalypse”, like this past Saturday night at Epcot (I opted for the Studios and enjoyed a much more chill time at Galaxy’s Edge).

The lobby at GF was probably crazy because they just put their famous holiday display up. Deluxe resorts as a rule are always going to be busier this time of year because they attract a lot of visitors who want to see the decorations.

I would agree with your theory except the the GF holiday stuff didn't even start going up until halfway through our stay and, honestly, except for 5-6 people at a time near the ropes (including me who was taking pics for the Facebook group) no one was really paying attention.

I honestly think the hotel was just at capacity the whole time and I don't always think it normally is. Even the outside walkways were really busy. I've visited the GF many times (although it's been summer) and I have never seen it that way. What I am used to is more like what I saw around 8AM. Honestly, it's always struck me as a pretty quiet/chill hotel until this year. I'm realizing now that I really hit a busy week.

I would agree with your theory except the the GF holiday stuff didn't even start going up until halfway through our stay and, honestly, except for 5-6 people at a time near the ropes (including me who was taking pics for the Facebook group) no one was really paying attention.

I honestly think the hotel was just at capacity the whole time and I don't always think it normally is. Even the outside walkways were really busy. I've visited the GF many times (although it's been summer) and I have never seen it that way. What I am used to is more like what I saw around 8AM. Honestly, it's always struck me as a pretty quiet/chill hotel until this year. I'm realizing now that I really hit a busy week.

The last couple of years has seen a real reversal in trends. Fall is the new Summer, cooler temps and historic discounts combined with more and more schools being off in the fall months means way more people. Disney offered a heck of a lot of “Free” Dining and incentives this fall too, remember.

I still think one of the only sweet spots left is early May. We chose that for our next big trip. Not many schools are out then and it’s before the weather starts getting really hot.

We like early September. It's still wicked hot, but we find the crowds a bit more tolerable because a lot of people are less likely to take their kids out of school so shortly after the new school year has started. However, this doesn't hold as true as it used to, because with more schools going "year round", there are more kids who are not just starting a new year in Sept., but who have started in say, late July, for instance, so going on a trip in September's perfectly fine for them. :)

The best time to go is the last or second to last week of august (whichever week is the first week of school). Parents aren't going to let their kids miss so the parks are dead...and they're still operating on the extended summer hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts