Votes: 25 34.2%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Novatrix

Dreamfinder-in-Training
Just completed my first runDisney with the Wine and Dine half marathon and had a blast. For me personally, I liked how it was a non-competitive run, which was well supported with refreshment stops and medical tents. Especially enjoyed stopping for photos with all the characters and admiring people's costumes!

I met someone waiting for a bus later who walks all the races and in her words "does it for the bling!"

It got me curious, why do you runDisney?

I runDisney because it’s an excuse to go to Disney. I never ran before I did a runDisney race and now it’s gotten me to run a marathon and challenges. I don’t think I’d be running today if it weren’t for runDisney. The races are a lot of fun, you can meet characters and run through theme parks. The marathon is also the only race you can ride a roller coaster.

Just completed my first runDisney with the Wine and Dine half marathon and had a blast. For me personally, I liked how it was a non-competitive run, which was well supported with refreshment stops and medical tents. Especially enjoyed stopping for photos with all the characters and admiring people's costumes!

I met someone waiting for a bus later who walks all the races and in her words "does it for the bling!"

It got me curious, why do you runDisney?

For me, it's simple, I love Disney and I love running, so I really love to runDisney! Two great things that go well together!

I would take a little issue with your statement that it was a "non-competitive run". Disney races are USATF certified and have awards for all manner of runner categories (age group, military, wheelchair, gender, etc). Runners use the marathon during WDWMW as a Boston Qualifier. Disney runs can be run as competitively or as non-competitively as an individual chooses.

I used to run years ago and heard about runDisney events. At the time, a good friend of mine was also a runner and we talked about how much fun it would be to run at Disney and then do a vacation together. She had never been to the parks before but always wanted to go; I am (and was at the time) married with a child so my trips were always family vacations. So we talked about it, but just never did it. She got busy with her career and I with my own stuff. Fast forward a few years and I get diagnosed with MS. It's a pretty funky illness and there's no knowing how long I'll be able to run. So, we decided that we needed to do this sooner rather than later. We are both training and will be running the Princess Half in February. I'm so excited to finally be able to say that I did something I have wanted to do for years, spend some time in the parks with one of my oldest and dearest friends, have a medal to put up in my house to remind me of my accomplishment, and to run in the parks in a skirt and tiara. Well, maybe not a tiara. I can't decide between dressing like Aurora or Snow White...

i runDisney so my son and i have something that we can do together. It was his idea to start this journey when we signed up for the last Expedition Everest. That started the fun and exciting journey that we have done together. From the sign up of the races to picking out the costumes to the start of the race and the finish line. It has brought us closer and has put great confidence in himself knowing that he starts and finishes each and every time.

I would take a little issue with your statement that it was a "non-competitive run".

I would like to note that my statement was "for me personally" it is a non competitive run and included PRs as an option on the poll for the very reason that it is a competitive run for some runners. Shout outs to all the people racing it, but especially Giovanna Martins this past weekend for being the first woman to place first overall in a rundisney half!

I would like to note that my statement was "for me personally" it is a non competitive run and included PRs as an option on the poll for the very reason that it is a competitive run for some runners. Shout outs to all the people racing it, but especially Giovanna Martins this past weekend for being the first woman to place first overall in a rundisney half!

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification. That's now how I read your statement. English can be such a wonderfully ambiguous language at times.

I picked "novelty of running through the parks." It's 100% why I signed up for more rundisney races after my first one. There's something immensely fun about running freely through my favorite places with all the lights/ music/atmosphere.
The medals and "stuff" is nice and all, but the actual running in the parks is what makes me smile the most and gives me the most joy.

Running through the parks here too, just so amazingly fun! Running & Disney go hand in hand anytime I have to put things I'm interested in/do!

doing the 5K is a great unique family thing to do during our trip. We are doing the darkside in April - im not a huge star wars fan but kids and hubby sure are so the character meets will be a must. I wouldn't schedule a trip specifically to do a rundisney, but it happens to coincide with my kids spring vacation. There really is nothing better than running through Epcot in the early morning.

I got started in this because I visited Disneyland over half marathon weekend 2 consecutive years and saw runners wearing their medals. Intrigued, I finally asked a couple about the race. In addition to raving about how much fun it was, they repeatedly assured me that I could actually walk the entire race. When the time worked out, I signed up. And while I often wondered if that first race would be my only race, it has led to a few more since then.

I love the runDisney experience because it is welcoming to slower people like me. So many people both in this online community and other runners I've met in the parks celebrate each other's achievements whether they be a PR good enough to qualify for Boston or just finishing the race someone signed up for.

That said, I also love the in park experience and staging Disney does. It's one thing to run. It's another thing to run through Angels Stadium in Anaheim and hear so many in the crowd cheer and give me an extra boost of adrenaline. I love running through Walt Disney World and see them attempt to recreate the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi with music, sound effects, lasers, and a fog machine. Depending on lines, I may not always be able to stop for character photos during the race, but I always make sure to get some medal photos with characters after the race.

There's also something about running through relatively empty parks and getting to see the parks when they're quiet. I had to put down the medals as well because the old Disneyland Half medal with the stylized D and Sleeping Beauty Castle motivated me to give this a try. The Kessel Run medal didn't hurt either and may be my very favorite.

At this point I have no idea why. I don’t like them, I don’t love running through the parks. I’m character phobic. They got rid of the nighttime runs that were at least interesting (and easier for me as a west coaster). They are expensive and I don’t display my medals yet; they are in a box. Couple of boxes.

I’m doing princess again for my cousin but I’d also intended on Tink for the pink ribbon. But nope.

Oh and I’ve lost all respect for rundisney.

So I don’t know why I’m still doing this.

But then rock and roll broke my heart, too, when they cancelled Vancouver.

I spent years watching Lee Hoedl's marathon weekend videos on YouTube and you mix in that I've always been a Disney/theme park person and the challenge of running distances I've never done before through the theme parks was too much of a temptation.It actually took me like 3 years of seeing the videos to finally get the nerve to sign up for a race,which ended up being the 20th anniversary full marathon in 2013.I went right into the big race,I wasn't a total running newbie,I was running 4-6 miles regularly at the gym but as far as races I had no real races under my belt,that's why that 2013 race will always be my favorite race,it was a big deal thing I was doing and it was all new to me.Lee would put videos year after year of marathon weekend but I think he stopped doing them like 2 years ago,the videos are probably still available on youtube,check them out.

I like running through the parks, especially MK as it brings back memories from my youth. I like the idea of the challenge races. But mostly, it's all about family. My brother, SIL, 2 DNs (darling nephews), and Grandma (my mom) usually go. Only my brother, 1 nephew, and I run, although nephew #2 is doing the 5K in January.

Having said that, I believe 2018 Dopey is my last runDisney race for a while, possibly ever.

Free candy/snacks from strangers.

(And in case the joke isn't obvious: I ran because I loved the characters, running inside the parks where normally I'd be told to walk, and the general "have fun, don't take yourself so seriously vibe" they tend to have for many runners. Probably why I've done things like Bay to Breakers because I love that silly fun aspect. I liked not feeling pressured to run when I knew I needed to take it easy for one reason or another.

I actually don't know when I'll run another one. Lack of DLR races has put my Disney running on hold sadly.)

I was doing runDisney because as a soCal local the DL races motivated me to start running, which I've found to be a fantastic way to exercise. I'm currently doing a little soul searching to figure out if the WDW races can help fill the hole being left, or if maybe I can muster enthusiasm for some of the other local races around here: I want to keep running, but the Disney was what was my carrot. So at the moment, I can't answer the question after this weekend. :(

For me, it's simple, I love Disney and I love running, so I really love to runDisney! Two great things that go well together!

I would take a little issue with your statement that it was a "non-competitive run". Disney races are USATF certified and have awards for all manner of runner categories (age group, military, wheelchair, gender, etc). Runners use the marathon during WDWMW as a Boston Qualifier. Disney runs can be run as competitively or as non-competitively as an individual chooses.

Actually I don't think that statement is too far off. A friend of a friend is an elite runner. His half PR is 1:06 and he consistently runs sub 1:10. He's been right on the cusp of Olympic qualifying. His times are fast enough that he would be in contention to win Disney. (2016 Marathon weekend was won with a half time of 1:10) At one point we asked him why he never does RunDisney Races. His response was that RunDisney does not make this pro friendly race. There is no prize money and their travel isn't comped. For the major races he's run his travel and race entry fee's are comp'd and he wins money. As a competitive runner RunDisney isn't a great option and so it's race times tend to be slower than other races of this size. I think RunDisney purposefully switched to this model to make the race less competitive and more inclusive.

All that being said Giovanna's win at wine and dine was huge.

Last edited:
I like to combine vacations and races and that goes for Disney as well. I also like running through the parks. When I do RunDisney events I do run them as I would any other race meaning I don't stop for pictures or anything, I run as fast as I can on that day. My half marathon PR was set twice at Disney races and my current full marathon PR is from Disney Marathon Weekend at the moment.

Actually I don't think that statement is too far off. A friend of a friend is an elite runner. His half PR is 1:06 and he consistently runs sub 1:10. He's been right on the cusp of Olympic qualifying. His times are fast enough that he would be in contention to win Disney. (2016 Marathon weekend was won with a half time of 1:10) At one point we asked him why he never does RunDisney Races. His response was that RunDisney does not make this pro friendly race. There is no prize money and their travel isn't comped. For the major races he's run his travel and race entry fee's are comp'd and he wins money. As a competitive runner RunDisney isn't a great option and so it's race times tend to be slower than other races of this size. I think RunDisney purposefully switched to this model to make the race less competitive and more inclusive.

All that being said Giovanna's win at wine and dine was huge.

When I think of competitive in the sense of runDisney races (and races in general, really), I don't think of professional competition. I consider "competitive" as the mindset that runners come into the race with. Are they taking it seriously, running for PRs, trying to win an overall or age group category? Defining competitive from a professional runner's sense narrows the definition to the point of being meaningless for 99.99+% of runners not only from a runDisney standpoint, but for the vast majority of local races as well. I think runDisney provides a nice mix where you can take the race as seriously or as casually as you want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter