Social distancing on planes?

mikehn

DIS Veteran
I would love to know how airlines intend to social distance passengers on planes once people start getting back on. I dont see Southwest maintaining their open seating policy.

Well, since airlines are still flying and people ARE on the planes, how's it being handled now? I haven't been on a plane since earlier in March, before all the distancing guidelines. But the planes are still flying, even if it's with less flights..... I'm not sure open seats or assigned seats will make that big a difference.

That is good news, but eventually that cost/loss of revenue will be passed on to us as higher fares. I think that it is going to be painful, which is why I am nervous of accepting credit notes from airlines rather than cash refunds.

Delta canceled DH's flight the end of this month and while they tried to get me to take a credit I insisted on a refund. Who knows which airlines will survive.

Like all other things, this will eventually return to normal. If you’re concerned about social distancing once things begin to resume then you won’t be flying. Just like you won’t be going to Disney if that is something that concerns you.

And your pilots are sitting an arm’s length away.

Last edited:
You read my mind with this post! I was talking with my kids and we were all thinking maybe air travel will become comfortable again!! I also wonder how Southwest will handle seating. Wouldn't it be fabulous if planes removed rows, creating more leg room and left it that way?

You read my mind with this post! I was talking with my kids and we were all thinking maybe air travel will become comfortable again!! I also wonder how Southwest will handle seating. Wouldn't it be fabulous if planes removed rows, creating more leg room and left it that way?

More legroom has always been available to those who are willing to pay for it. If the new normal is a lot more legroom and no middle seats then you can expect much, much higher fares, resulting in fewer planes and fewer connections as the market would shrink as some will be priced out of air travel entirely.

I realize there has been a world of change in the past month, however we were on a flight home from Vegas to the east coast on March 14th and it was packed (end of a huge convention). I haven't flown since then, but will again as soon as I can go someplace! I'd have no problem wearing a mask to protect others if required, and I accept that it's possible flight prices may go up do to needing to either sell less seats or a reduced capacity of flights.

Last edited:
Like all other things, this will eventually return to normal. If you’re concerned about social distancing once things begin to resume then you won’t be flying. Just like you won’t be going to Disney if that is something that concerns you.

And your pilots are sitting an arm’s length away.
Agree. I doubt we will see full flights until the social distancing guidelines have been lifted, anyhow.

Delta canceled DH's flight the end of this month and while they tried to get me to take a credit I insisted on a refund. Who knows which airlines will survive.
They just got a big bailout, so as long as these restrictions end within a few months, I think they'll be fine. I got a full refund for my June JetBlue flights, and have already booked new JetBlue flights for July. Life will go on.

They just got a big bailout, so as long as these restrictions end within a few months, I think they'll be fine. I got a full refund for my June JetBlue flights, and have already booked new JetBlue flights for July. Life will go on.

Not every airline is going to choose the government bailout. Some simply know they can't afford to stay in business. The government is covering payroll costs, they're not covering fuel, aircraft payments etc... Compass and Trans States (they are Regionals that do flights for United, American, and Delta) already permanently ceased operations, I would expect more Regional carriers to and perhaps some LCC too.

I would love for this to become the permanent norm. I wouldn't mind paying 30% more to not have to be squished in or next to someone who is in the middle seat.

30% more wouldn't make up for that empty seat. Try at least 50% more. Because there would also be lost revenue in missing bag fees.

I would expect more Regional carriers to and perhaps some LCC too.

Actually American is the most vulnerable of the large US airlines. Years of poor operational performance have taken their toll and is now the #4 most valuable domestic airline. Alaska is on track to surpass American in value even though they have far less flights per day than American.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter