Social distancing on planes?

And now employees are being told they don’t need to enforce mask-wearing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN22O349
I'm sure this will disappoint the authoritarian types who want everyone to be forced to wear masks or to go home/be arrested, but this is the right decision. Non-medical grade masks have never been proven to reduce the spread of illness, and might even cause problems due to the increased face touching it often leads to. Some guests have physical problems wearing the masks for long periods, too. This way, the flight attendant won't have to try to manage who can be exempt from wearing them and who can't.

30% more wouldn't make up for that empty seat. Try at least 50% more. Because there would also be lost revenue in missing bag fees.
You mean the temporary bag fees that were imposed due to the unanticipated skyrocketing fuel prices...that have now dropped to record lows? There's a certain irony in that...

Yes. However as we are on the Disboards, most of the discussion is aimed towards Disney trips.
Well, this thread has been discussing the mask requirement for flights in general, not just those flights headed to WDW.

To bring it back to the parks, since you brought it up, I will add that this is the way I envision Disney going, as well. Make sure everyone has a mask at the park entrance, then encourage rather than enforce compliance once guests are inside. Enforcing mask compliance from thousands of American families on a hot, wet afternoon would be pretty hard for the CMs & I just don't see it happening.

You follow the policy of the airline you are flying or you fly a different carrier. If the policy states there is no requirement then don't wear one if you don't want to. But if someone tells you that you have to put one on then comply or get off the plane. Every now and then, a passenger thinks they are in control when they are aboard an aircraft and they usually don't like the way they find out that they aren't.

So, we are flying Southwest to MCO in October. I emailed them about how to purchase an additional seat, so that DH and I do not have to worry about having someone in the middle or next to us. Would just make us feel more comfortable, we do wear a mask, DH works in healthcare and we are big believers in masks. (Please do not judge). In any case I was told that we cannot just purchase an extra seat, that the ability to do that is limited to people of size, people with unusual items such as musical instruments or wedding dresses or service animals. We do not fit into any of those categories.has anyone heard of this? Is there anyway we can purchase an extra seat? Thank you.

So, we are flying Southwest to MCO in October. I emailed them about how to purchase an additional seat, so that DH and I do not have to worry about having someone in the middle or next to us. Would just make us feel more comfortable, we do wear a mask, DH works in healthcare and we are big believers in masks. (Please do not judge). In any case I was told that we cannot just purchase an extra seat, that the ability to do that is limited to people of size, people with unusual items such as musical instruments or wedding dresses or service animals. We do not fit into any of those categories.has anyone heard of this? Is there anyway we can purchase an extra seat? Thank you.
Sorry - no suggestions, but I find this interesting. I know the policy for "passengers of size" is that you are too large to fit in one seat you are supposed to purchase a second seat, then if there is an open seat anywhere on the plane aside from the 2 seats you are occupying, they refund the second seat. I always thought it was unfair for parents with small kids who do the right thing and purchase a seat for their baby so they could assure there would be a seat that they could strap the car seat into. After all, I could have brought the baby on as a "lap child" and not paid for the seat, taking a chance a paying customer would need that seat next to me. If there is an open seat, I should get the baby's seat refunded - but it doesn't work that way. I doubt you could purchase a seat for a fictitious passenger (say a family member who you know is not travelling) and then just check in the extra ticket - TSA would have a field day with that.

You follow the policy of the airline you are flying or you fly a different carrier. If the policy states there is no requirement then don't wear one if you don't want to. But if someone tells you that you have to put one on then comply or get off the plane. Every now and then, a passenger thinks they are in control when they are aboard an aircraft and they usually don't like the way they find out that they aren't.
True, but the real world doesnt work that way

TSA would have a field day with that.
TSA will not care, or even know, about a "dummy" ticket that b body nobody presents at the security point. What the OP might have been able to try:
  • Read the Customer of Size conditions
  • Purchase a ticket for one of them plus a ticket for the extra seat
  • Purchase the other actual person ticket in the same transaction
  • Have "lost" a great deal of weight between purchase and departure
Note that this wouod likely NOT work, as the airline can and will put a standby passenger in an unused seat.

Last edited:
Thanks, so to be clear, no one is aware of a way to purchase an additional ticket on Southwest? Do I just need to take a cello with me? Seriously though, especially in these times I find it surprising that this is not an option.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't see the point in leaving the middle seat unsold. Everyone is breathing the same air on a plane. I always blast my personal air conditioner (that air thing above your head on a plane near the light) when I fly. So if I have Covid and sneeze even with a mask on, any "droplets" that escape would blow all over the place. Does it really matter if the person closest to me is in the seat next to me or the seat in front of me? Wouldn't my droplets scatter everywhere? And isn't the air in the plane recirculated? Just some things that I have been thinking about lately.

I don't plan to fly anytime soon.

Thanks, so to be clear, no one is aware of a way to purchase an additional ticket on Southwest? Do I just need to take a cello with me? Seriously though, especially in these times I find it surprising that this is not an option.

Can't say specifically...but have you tried calling and give them your record locator and ask to purchase a second ticket for a person of size? Either there will be availability or not. No need to go into why you want it, or what your size is. They're not going to ask if you are overweight, they'll just sell you one if they have the inventory.

We get a third seat when we fly economy to Europe and just request a third person of size ticket, no one has ever asked "ok, but are your REALLY fat?". ha ha - I'm only 5' tall, so I'm comfortable, but my husband is tall and is never comfortable, so getting the third seat is a economical option to having elbow room since first class has been so expensive when we've priced it.

I'll be doing the same when we fly to Florida next, sometime in the next 6 months. Probably will use SW.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter