Social distancing on planes?

Even if you purchase a person of size ticket, they can take that seat away once it is apparent you don't need it. There is no way to purchase 2 seats for 1 person on a Southwest flight.

Even if you purchase a person of size ticket, they can take that seat away once it is apparent you don't need it. There is no way to purchase 2 seats for 1 person on a Southwest flight.

It's possible, as I (think) I mentioned, I haven't done it with Southwest, but have with another airline.

I do know that Southwest specifically does give you a Reserved Seat Document to place on your extra purchased seat, so it doesn't appear to other passengers that it is a available seat.

It's possible, as I (think) I mentioned, I haven't done it with Southwest, but have with another airline.

I do know that Southwest specifically does give you a Reserved Seat Document to place on your extra purchased seat, so it doesn't appear to other passengers that it is a available seat.

Yes. But if the flight is full, and it is apparent you really don't need the seat, they can give that seat to another customer.

I have flown southwest and if the plan is full they will tell you to put your imaginary friend on the floor

Last edited:
I have glown southwest and if the plan is full they will tell you to put your imaginary friend on the floor

Except you had 1 ticket not a double ticket I suspect. I wouldn't give up the extra seat if I payed for it. That being said Southwest has oversold exactly 1 time in like 200 flights I have had with them.

Never bought 2 seats and will wait to see what happens on planes. Still think that they are going to reduce each row to either 2 singles or a family of 2-3 individuals in the 3 seat sections you find on many planes.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't see the point in leaving the middle seat unsold. Everyone is breathing the same air on a plane. I always blast my personal air conditioner (that air thing above your head on a plane near the light) when I fly. So if I have Covid and sneeze even with a mask on, any "droplets" that escape would blow all over the place. Does it really matter if the person closest to me is in the seat next to me or the seat in front of me? Wouldn't my droplets scatter everywhere? And isn't the air in the plane recirculated? Just some things that I have been thinking about lately.

I don't plan to fly anytime soon.

Actually, most of the air circulates within your row [and some beyond]; the vent above directs the air down and then it gets pulled out via the floor vents. The systems divide the planes into "zones" of usually about seven rows per zone.

This is a document from the World Health Organizations in 2008: "Tuberculosis and Air Travel: Guidelines for Prevention and Control. 3rd edition.", Section 3 Aircraft ventilation, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143711/

Air is distributed evenly throughout the passenger cabin via ducts running the entire length of the aircraft. Air enters the cabin from overhead distribution outlets and flows downwards in a circular pattern towards the outflow grills along both side walls of the cabin near the floor (Fig. 1). Air enters and leaves the cabin at approximately the same seat row, and airflow in forwards and backwards directions is minimal. Movement of passengers and crew in the cabin has little impact on the intended airflow patterns.
END QUOTE

Figure one, "cabin airflow patterns" is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143711/figure/ch3.f1/?report=objectonly

There is additional info about airflow and the consequences of a long period of time on the ground in the document.

The entire book that it is out of is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143719/ and gives even more information.

More googling produces additional information about aircraft ventilation. Some of it depends on the specific aircraft model. For example, many of the modern jets have HEPA filters incorporated into their passenger air ventilation systems, while older and smaller planes may not have HEPA.

For example, here is an NBC article from 2010: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/.../airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/#.Xr31dcB7nb0

Finally, this is a systemic literature review of influenza transmission on aircraft. It also includes a brief description of aircraft ventilation systems. And, if you look on the righthand side of the page there are links to other similar-topic studies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969063/

Hi, Starwind. Thank you.

Actually, most of the air circulates within your row [and some beyond]; the vent above directs the air down and then it gets pulled out via the floor vents. The systems divide the planes into "zones" of usually about seven rows per zone.

This is a document from the World Health Organizations in 2008: "Tuberculosis and Air Travel: Guidelines for Prevention and Control. 3rd edition.", Section 3 Aircraft ventilation, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143711/

Air is distributed evenly throughout the passenger cabin via ducts running the entire length of the aircraft. Air enters the cabin from overhead distribution outlets and flows downwards in a circular pattern towards the outflow grills along both side walls of the cabin near the floor (Fig. 1). Air enters and leaves the cabin at approximately the same seat row, and airflow in forwards and backwards directions is minimal. Movement of passengers and crew in the cabin has little impact on the intended airflow patterns.
END QUOTE

Figure one, "cabin airflow patterns" is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143711/figure/ch3.f1/?report=objectonly

There is additional info about airflow and the consequences of a long period of time on the ground in the document.

The entire book that it is out of is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143719/ and gives even more information.

More googling produces additional information about aircraft ventilation. Some of it depends on the specific aircraft model. For example, many of the modern jets have HEPA filters incorporated into their passenger air ventilation systems, while older and smaller planes may not have HEPA.

For example, here is an NBC article from 2010: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/.../airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/#.Xr31dcB7nb0

Finally, this is a systemic literature review of influenza transmission on aircraft. It also includes a brief description of aircraft ventilation systems. And, if you look on the righthand side of the page there are links to other similar-topic studies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969063/

Your not going to get much feeling from me. If your willing to get on a plane it better be worth it. My husband was on a empty plane of 6 ppl. He's a stubborn idiot. Got life insurance, just hope there isn't a pandemic clause. It's a 6 hour drive. And because they now route into a bigger hub to spoke the planes back out its about the same but he acts like it kills me to drive 6 hours.. It's not an argument I feel like dealing with. Sure bring covid home.

So if I have Covid and sneeze even with a mask on, any "droplets" that escape would blow all over the place
Probably not. With the air blowing down on you full blast, droplets not contained by thevmask would likely go down - onto your clothing, the floor, tray table if open...is there any proven information how long the virus survives on fabric?
And isn't the air in the plane recirculated?
They're not going to ask if you are overweight, they'll just sell you one if they have the inventory.
As @maxiesmom indicated, and especially on Southwest, a purchased seat not actually being used can be reassigned to a standby passenger.
Most airlines either have no CoS policy, or a strict one that does not provide a refund.
Except you had 1 ticket not a double ticket I suspect. I wouldn't give up the extra seat if I payed for it.
They can take it from you.

I have flown southwest and if the plane is full they will tell you to put your imaginary friend on the floor.
Won't do them any good if the real you paid for the extra seat and were partly occupying it. Also in which case no need for them to give you a "seat occupied" card.

We have flights booked to Orlando from Buffalo in the middle of July on Jetblue. I have been checking the flight regularly & watching the seating chart. We’re in our mid 60s & I’m not sure if we’ll be comfortable flying by July. Today I noticed all the middle seats are “x’d” out. I had booked us in an even more space row...my DH in a window seat & myself in the middle. The aisle seat had been empty when I checked yesterday. Today that seat is x’d out too. Someone could have booked it, but I’m hoping JB blocked it. It does seem that they are trying to limit seats sold.

We have flights booked to Orlando from Buffalo in the middle of July on Jetblue. I have been checking the flight regularly & watching the seating chart. We’re in our mid 60s & I’m not sure if we’ll be comfortable flying by July. Today I noticed all the middle seats are “x’d” out. I had booked us in an even more space row...my DH in a window seat & myself in the middle. The aisle seat had been empty when I checked yesterday. Today that seat is x’d out too. Someone could have booked it, but I’m hoping JB blocked it. It does seem that they are trying to limit seats sold.
My family, as well, has a flight booked on JB for the middle of July to Orlando from Syracuse. I have noticed that in the past few weeks the number of X's (possibly sold seats) has gone up significantly. I'm hoping this is social distancing and not actual people buying these seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter