Social distancing on planes?

My family, as well, has a flight booked on JB for the middle of July to Orlando from Syracuse. I have noticed that in the past few weeks the number of X's (possibly sold seats) has gone up significantly. I'm hoping this is social distancing and not actual people buying these seats.
We have flights booked for late July, and I hope any apparently taken seats are people actually booked, because I don't want our flights to be cancelled. Again.

Last edited:
My family, as well, has a flight booked on JB for the middle of July to Orlando from Syracuse. I have noticed that in the past few weeks the number of X's (possibly sold seats) has gone up significantly. I'm hoping this is social distancing and not actual people buying these seats.

I know there do seem to be a lot of seats sold. But this is what I’m seeing

72D36406-5DA6-4700-802B-9242177BFC40.png

I don’t think all those middle seats are sold.

I know there do seem to be a lot of seats sold. But this is what I’m seeing
I know a bit about jetBlue seating, from being a passenger.
I know the entire first row is blocked for now in case the seats are needed by disabled passengers
I know the last row is blocked for now, in case there are unaccompanied minors (usually the last two rows, but it makes sense to reduce that seating capability when you already have so many unusable seats).
i think row two is blocked for one of three reasons:
  • Temporary additional seats blocked for disabled passengers
  • Buffer zone for at-risk passengers seated in row one
  • Four passengers already booked those four available Extra Legroom seats

I know a bit about jetBlue seating, from being a passenger.
I know the entire first row is blocked for now in case the seats are needed by disabled passengers
I know the last row is blocked for now, in case there are unaccompanied minors (usually the last two rows, but it makes sense to reduce that seating capability when you already have so many unusable seats).
i think row two is blocked for one of three reasons:
  • Temporary additional seats blocked for disabled passengers
  • Buffer zone for at-risk passengers seated in row one
  • Four passengers already booked those four available Extra Legroom seats

Actually, we are booked in row 2, a window & middle. I checked & our seat assignments are still the same. The aisle seat is now showing an “x”. So I don’t know if JB blocked it or if someone actually booked it. I am assuming JB blocked it to limit to 2 people per row per side.

When we booked, the first row on the right side only was blocked, the left side was available for booking. Which is what I usually see when I book JB. But I agree, JB has probably blocked that whole row for social distancing.

But all the middle seats showing with an x does lead me to believe JB is intentionally limiting passengers, which is fine by me.

My boyfriend just flew Frontier MCO to PHL and back. The flight up was pretty empty and each person ended up with their own row. When booking, middle seats were blocked off for maybe 10-12 rows towards the middle of the plane, but being empty we opted not to pay for the seat and it worked out okay. On the flight back though they did have several rows in the front of the plane that were not distanced at all. Every seat was full and at first it didn't seem like they were going to allow people to move around. Something about where the luggage was put they accounted for seating needed in the front. They did end up spacing them out a little though. But again they weren't a packed flight and not many people are flying right now so we will see once that picks up again. They did require masks though and they were not doing beverage or snack service. Water bottles were the only thing available for purchase.

Despite reading that the airports were going to require temperatures to be taken before boarding that didn't happen either way. And disturbingly, when flying out of Orlando, they didn't even scan his boarding pass. Took his license and glanced at the pass on his phone and that was it. Thought that was odd.

Despite reading that the airports were going to require temperatures to be taken before boarding that didn't happen either way. And disturbingly, when flying out of Orlando, they didn't even scan his boarding pass. Took his license and glanced at the pass on his phone and that was it. Thought that was odd.

Wow, yeah that is odd. We have to fly into Ft. Myers in about 2 weeks, should be interesting. Airline is not seating the first two or three rows, and maybe the last one or two? I can't quite recall. No one can sit in middle seat, and only boarding 10 people at a time. Anticipating a quiet flight there and back.
Even the long term packing lots were closed.

Wow, yeah that is odd. We have to fly into Ft. Myers in about 2 weeks, should be interesting. Airline is not seating the first two or three rows, and maybe the last one or two? I can't quite recall. No one can sit in middle seat, and only boarding 10 people at a time. Anticipating a quiet flight there and back.
Even the long term packing lots were closed.

Economy parking lots in Philly were closed also and garages were free to park. Orlando however was not doing the same despite being empty. $57 to park for two nights which was ironically more than he spent on the round trip flight. Lol

I just saw news report that said JB is blocking middle seats unless you are traveling together. The report said until July 6, but my flights are July 13 & 18 & as I said above, the middle seats are blocked for those too. It is not listed on their website yet, but I did see it from more than 1 source, so I think it is reliable.

Economy parking lots in Philly were closed also and garages were free to park. Orlando however was not doing the same despite being empty. $57 to park for two nights which was ironically more than he spent on the round trip flight. Lol

There are some good deals out there at the moment...

you check the third seat in, just as you do your "regular" seat.

this actually causes more problems. Let the agent know you have an extra seat, we have a whole process to block the seat as unusable so standbys do not get seated there, but does not affect our count of souls on board.

this actually causes more problems. Let the agent know you have an extra seat, we have a whole process to block the seat as unusable so standbys do not get seated there, but does not affect our count of souls on board.
thanks for the heads up, I've only done it once (r/t) on KLM flights, and it's been two years so I'm sure things will be changing. At the time they instructed us to check in as we normally would.

Delta is blocking off the middle seats, and going to start boarding from the rear of the aircraft forward.

Delta is blocking off the middle seats, and going to start boarding from the rear of the aircraft forward.
United is doing this as well. We have soft blocks of all middle seats based on capacity levels, and seats close to flight attendant seats are blocked also, and if we are booked over 70% you can ask for a flight change for free as well. We still preboard those in need first, but then we board back to front.

There must be a time limit on the blocking center seat thing. In my Delta flight Aug 15, me and DH have the aisle and middle seat going both ways.

There must be a time limit on the blocking center seat thing. In my Delta flight Aug 15, me and DH have the aisle and middle seat going both ways.
We are only getting updates on a rolling 4 week schedule as of now, at least in my small United station.

If you bought the ickers as a single purchase, the airline knows you're traveling together ans specifically chose that middle seat. Now, ideally, they won't assign the aisle seat to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter