Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Star Wars survived the Prequel Trilogies .. it hopefully can survive the fan hate of the Last Jedi and the Solo movie.

You have fans upset with the last movie. Fans upset about a film they didn’t really want. And then fans upset about this new actor.

You can’t please everyone. I’m going in with an open mind.
I understand the irritation with the other movie but I say to at least give this one a chance to be bad first. Then attack it. ;)

Trailer # 2:

I dropped in to see what other folks thought - only to find that this thread has been dormant for over a month. I've got a bad feeling about this...

There was some discussion over on the General Rumors thread I think. The trailer looked better than I thought it would. Granted finding 60 seconds of good stuff in a 110 minute film (or whatever it is) shouldn't be hard. But it got me more interested. I think I just have to divorce it from the Han Solo of my childhood. This is a different Han Solo with a suspiciously similar ship and copilot. If I can pull that off, it could be ok.

Sadly I can't do that with the ongoing trilogies. That just wasn't my Luke and I will forever wish TLJ had not been made.

There was some discussion over on the General Rumors thread I think. The trailer looked better than I thought it would. Granted finding 60 seconds of good stuff in a 110 minute film (or whatever it is) shouldn't be hard. But it got me more interested. I think I just have to divorce it from the Han Solo of my childhood. This is a different Han Solo with a suspiciously similar ship and copilot. If I can pull that off, it could be ok.

Sadly I can't do that with the ongoing trilogies. That just wasn't my Luke and I will forever wish TLJ had not been made.
Bows before you Out of 6000 movies I own the only 0 Star (my ratings system) in my collection is that sad piece of crap TLJ.

An 8 year old god daughter that I have turned into a major Star Wars junkie. She said we had to have it so she could watch it when she wanted. Sigh the women in my world own me I admit it.

fair enough - I mean, my brain would say it would be a teaching moment but I know that even if I disliked something if my daughter wanted it I am sure I would get it

I dug back on the News thread and saw a few posts - the story quickly lost ground to excitement over the menu announcement for TSL. When buzz over the trailer drop for your big SW summer tentpole movie gets edged out by grilled cheese, something may have gone horribly wrong. Granted, this could end up being a fun movie, but the overall sense of indifference (even by Disney) about this movie doesn't generate much confidence.

As for the trailer itself - I briefly read something earlier that summed up my impressions - that is, that the trailer doesn't really offer anything new to say about the character or why the movie exists. It's a bit of a "Solo's Greatest Hits" collection. You remember Solo won the Falcon from Lando? We'll show you that. You remember that Chewbacca is really old? We'll show you when Han first found out. You remember that Han likes a good blaster? Don't worry, we'll show it. You remember Han's catch-phrase that he's got a bad feeling about things? Well, watch our clever twist on that quote. It's almost like the trailer is trying to reassure the audience that it "gets" Solo by referencing all the things we know from the OT (and do they really want us to hold this movie up to the OT and compare?).

I dug back on the News thread and saw a few posts - the story quickly lost ground to excitement over the menu announcement for TSL. When buzz over the trailer drop for your big SW summer tentpole movie gets edged out by grilled cheese, something may have gone horribly wrong. Granted, this could end up being a fun movie, but the overall sense of indifference (even by Disney) about this movie doesn't generate much confidence.

As for the trailer itself - I briefly read something earlier that summed up my impressions - that is, that the trailer doesn't really offer anything new to say about the character or why the movie exists. It's a bit of a "Solo's Greatest Hits" collection. You remember Solo won the Falcon from Lando? We'll show you that. You remember that Chewbacca is really old? We'll show you when Han first found out. You remember that Han likes a good blaster? Don't worry, we'll show it. You remember Han's catch-phrase that he's got a bad feeling about things? Well, watch our clever twist on that quote. It's almost like the trailer is trying to reassure the audience that it "gets" Solo by referencing all the things we know from the OT (and do they really want us to hold this movie up to the OT and compare?).

I don't think there is much momentum for this one. I agree with you there. Given the excitement for Black Panther and Infinity War, this is definitely not generating the buzz. I don't think it does poorly for a movie in theaters, but I think it does poorly for a Star Wars movie. There's a lot of issues with this one that someone mentioned earlier. I'll probably see it unless it absolutely bombs in early going reviews. But yeah, not real fired up. Just a better trailer than I had thought though that is mostly a function of I wasn't really expecting much anyway.

Well, it is an origin film, right? So makes sense to provide background on a lot of the elements about a character

Plus, we saw the reaction when background is *not* provided on a character (see: Snoke)

Meh. Harrison Ford is Solo. Unless you find a young guy that looks like a young Ford and sounds like him, you are going to to have a hard time convincing me its Han Solo.

They need to do Rogue one type of movies or do non "face" characters like Boba or Jabba or something.

Meh. Harrison Ford is Solo. Unless you find a young guy that looks like a young Ford and sounds like him, you are going to to have a hard time convincing me its Han Solo.

They need to do Rogue one type of movies or do non "face" characters like Boba or Jabba or something.
This! If you're making a movie about Han Solo then cast someone who at least resembles him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter