Solo DC on a Budget-Hotel?

jsmla

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a visit to my brother and family in Maryland and would like to visit the Smithsonian while I'm in the area. I can access the Smithsonian via train (free) but it's roughly an hour commute to Union Station and the train schedule is very limited. I was wondering if there are any hotels with an easier commute, something on the Metro would be great. I don't mind a longish ride but would prefer a schedule with more options. I don't need charm but safe and clean are a must! My only plans are to visit the museums, I'll be in before dark. I'd like to pay no more $150/night, less would be better!

Thanks!

I stayed at Hotel Harrington with my kids over the summer. It wasn't fancy, but clean. I paid less than $150 a night. It was right in the middle of everything. There's a metro stop 2 blocks away. The White House was only 4 or so blocks. We really liked it.

Where are you staying in Maryland (that is where I live..I work in DC) and there are a lot of options into the city. MARC trains are limited on the weekend, but Metro isn't. I would look at Hotwire and Hotels Tonight. Staying in the Dupont area would put you just a few stops away from the Smithsonians, it is a fun area, with great restaurants, and safe to walk around. You could also look around the convention center. Most of the hotels right around the mall are $$$.

When are you going? I could look online and tell you where I would stay (and where I wouldn't!)

Where are you staying in Maryland (that is where I live..I work in DC) and there are a lot of options into the city. MARC trains are limited on the weekend, but Metro isn't. I would look at Hotwire and Hotels Tonight. Staying in the Dupont area would put you just a few stops away from the Smithsonians, it is a fun area, with great restaurants, and safe to walk around. You could also look around the convention center. Most of the hotels right around the mall are $$$.

When are you going? I could look online and tell you where I would stay (and where I wouldn't!)

A little town called Boyds. It's on the MARC train (Brunswick line). SIL works at OSHA and uses it. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the money to stay a little closer in for a night. It would be after the third week in June when my nieces get out of school. I'd Beverly doing the Smithsonian on my own.

Thanks, again everyone!

Just to clarify Smithsonian is a collection of museums so you need to decide which museums you want to visit. The more popular are listed below. Each would take several hours to even view the "must see" items.
  • American History
  • Natural History
  • Air & Space
  • Portrait Gallery

There are plenty of other things to do and see such as a tour of Arlington Cemetary, The Spy Museum, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and too many others to list. You could easily spend a week visiting. If you don't want to pay for a hotel in the District then plan your day around the weekday commuter trains that have frequent inbounds in the morning and frequent outbounds in the evening. You will not have a problem filling your day. DC has a lively food scene so you certainly won't go hungry. Getting around via the Metro once you are in the city proper is very straightforward, just realize that the direction of the train is depedent on the last stops on either end.

Last year we stayed at the Best Western Rosslyn just across fromt the Potomac. The metro was 5 minutes away, the prices were under $150 and Arlington Cemetery was walkable. It is a great, very clean motel/hotel as there are 2 sections one with outside doors and one with interior corridors. There is also a fantastic italian restaurant beside it with delicious food. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Check out the Comfort Inn, Gaithersburg, MD - great location, about 2 miles from the Shady Grove Metro Station

Just to clarify Smithsonian is a collection of museums so you need to decide which museums you want to visit. The more popular are listed below. Each would take several hours to even view the "must see" items.
  • American History
  • Natural History
  • Air & Space
  • Portrait Gallery

There are plenty of other things to do and see such as a tour of Arlington Cemetary, The Spy Museum, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and too many others to list. You could easily spend a week visiting. If you don't want to pay for a hotel in the District then plan your day around the weekday commuter trains that have frequent inbounds in the morning and frequent outbounds in the evening. You will not have a problem filling your day. DC has a lively food scene so you certainly won't go hungry. Getting around via the Metro once you are in the city proper is very straightforward, just realize that the direction of the train is depedent on the last stops on either end.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll take a look at Roslyn. I should have mentioned that I'm a former curator and very familiar with the Smithsonian. I've been before but easily found an affordable rate in Crystal City. That, however was in dreary November. Late June I'd proving pricey!

I'm planning a visit to my brother and family in Maryland and would like to visit the Smithsonian while I'm in the area. I can access the Smithsonian via train (free) but it's roughly an hour commute to Union Station and the train schedule is very limited. I was wondering if there are any hotels with an easier commute, something on the Metro would be great. I don't mind a longish ride but would prefer a schedule with more options. I don't need charm but safe and clean are a must! My only plans are to visit the museums, I'll be in before dark. I'd like to pay no more $150/night, less would be better!

Thanks!
We just came back from a visit there & stayed at the Capitol Hill Hotel. Fantastic location (200 C SE) with breakfast included. I see availability for June 15,16, 22,23,29&30 at $159/nite. Also a couple blocks from the Metro stop.

Last edited:
Boyds is about 20-30 from the nearest Metro stop (Shady Grove.) So, you could easily drive to the Metro, park, and take the train to Metro Center and then walk a few blocks (depending on which museum you are going to.) Like PP said, you should decide which musuem(s) you want to go to. You certainly can't so them all in a day! That might also dictate which end of the mall you want to stay at. You could also look at Hotwire and do a hotel in Convention area and then Metro there (only a few stops.) Most of those hotels are cheaper on the weekend since they cater to business people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter