Solo & Dining

I'm looking forward to Mama Melrose and Sci Fi as a solo traveler next month. I'm a little apprehensive about TS as a solo but I deserve a steak, dang it! Sci Fi seems great since there's a show of sorts playing.

Great that I found this board! I am a SOLO with split stay this week. I have dining one night. ) I saw the Wolfgang Puck bar and grille is only 1 credit!! This will be great! I am going to Animal Kingdom only.

I'm looking forward to Mama Melrose and Sci Fi as a solo traveler next month. I'm a little apprehensive about TS as a solo but I deserve a steak, dang it! Sci Fi seems great since there's a show of sorts playing.
I wouldn't worry about either Mama Melrose or Sci Fi as a solo traveler. I find the food to be subpar at Sci Fi, so being underwhelmed might be the bigger worry.

I eat wherever I want, including Teppan and Biergarten. It is only awkward if you make it so. Nobody cares that you are dining solo.

I agree with this completely - although I will say when the greeter at CRT kept yelling at me that I couldn't check in until my entire party was present and wouldn't let me speak until I finally blurted loudly "I AM my entire party!" and she finally let me check in could have made it awkward for me but I choose to believe that she made herself look silly instead.

I'm heading down in two weeks for my first solo weeklong trip. As far as dining goes, I often hesitate to make ADR's, as I tend to change plans frequently! If I want a sit down meal, I plan on going to a lounge or sit at a bar. I've been served from the full menu at the Tune In Lounge before (and it's nice to chat with other adults or the bartender). Last trip, DH and I ducked into the Nomad Lounge for a cocktail at DAK, and it was a lovely spot to cool off and relax (and I met a nice lady sitting next to me who was solo; she said she goes for a solo week leaving kids with her husband every year).

I did make one ADR for late lunch at BOG for this trip. At least I can relax and order wine too!

I'm very comfortable traveling solo; do it often. Never done Disney totally solo before, but not having to worry about what anyone else wants to do is something to totally look forward to!

I've done TS, both character and non character, but, I've had mixed experiences. Ohana breakfast was awful as I was ignored by the characters, they probably thought I was waiting for other people, but, it was still annoying. However, I did a Star Wars buffet and that was amazing, the CMs, characters and the guests on the table next to me were amazing. I have also done Hoop Dee Doo and the Luau, but, there they automatically bring enough food for two, even if there is only a solo guest, which is great with the stuff you really love, no sharing.
Just be aware of two things, other guests, especially young families will give you funny looks, just ignore them they are just jealous :rotfl:The other is that you may get a server who only sees a solo guest as a smaller gratuity and you don't get the same attention as larger parties, it is rare, but, it does happen, just make sure you are seen when you need something.
Bring something to read or occupy yourself when you are waiting for your food and just enjoy that you are having your meal in peace, which your choice and at your leisure.

I personally hope and believe that Disney will realise that there will be more solo visitors, especially older females and will train all CMs at things such as TS and character M&Gs to be equally as attentive as families and couples. I see more solo guests now than I did 10 years ago and more CMs who make us feel equally as magical.

Sorry, I did go into Trader Sams grotto on my last visit and that was disappointing as I felt awkward and uncomfortable for all the wrong reasons. Shame as the place is awesome and the drink I had was amazing! Just be aware that middle aged females on their own shock the sensibilities of the younger male patrons and CMs

Sanaa for breakfast! It's the best TS experience I've had, the food is great and reasonably priced and the servers are lovely, never had a bad experience there and no ADR required and the view out of the windows are sensational.[/QUOTE]

Just be aware of two things, other guests, especially young families will give you funny looks

I am sorry you experienced that. I have gone on 9 solo trips and have never noticed being looked at funny. Maybe I see it but put it out of my head. I have the NOOK app on my phone and love to read, so I usually have my head in the book anyway. :-)

Maybe I see it but put it out of my head.
I wonder if that's it?

I travel a lot and I eat solo often. I have never noticed anyone, even young families, giving me funny looks, yet many people post here saying they get them. I usually think it's because I believe people are far more focused on themselves than on others, but maybe I am getting funny looks and just put it out of my head.

I wonder if that's it?

I travel a lot and I eat solo often. I have never noticed anyone, even young families, giving me funny looks, yet many people post here saying they get them. I usually think it's because I believe people are far more focused on themselves than on others, but maybe I am getting funny looks and just put it out of my head.

Or maybe it is that people just look around at others casually, but some solo diners are more self conscious and assume that they are being looked at specifically. I know sometimes I will just look around and you catch someone's eye. But I am not staring at them or thinking anything really about them.

Don't be apprehensive about it. I have been on seven solo trips now, and the first time I felt the same way you do. I had dinner at CP (MK) the first time (talk about jumping in the deep end of the pool!), and no one looked at me funny. I had a wonderful time with pooh and friends, and the CMs were fantastic about making sure I was able to get all the photos I wanted.

Perhaps I am paranoid. Not going into detail, except I live in a narrow minded little town where false gossip is more important than the truth and that doesn't help. Still, I wouldn't change my solo trips for anything.

Perhaps I am paranoid. Not going into detail, except I live in a narrow minded little town where false gossip is more important than the truth and that doesn't help. Still, I wouldn't change my solo trips for anything.

Dang, sounds like perpetual junior high. I would not worry about what others think at WDW. Seriously, most people are so into what they are doing themselves that they do not notice those around them. You can see that just by walking in the parks how many people have their heads in their phones.

Anybody do Ohana dinner solo? I love the place but never have been there as a single. I'm spending a weekend alone and managed to luck into a cancellation for prime time on a Sat night. Too bad this didn't happen on my last trip when I was with a pal! A reservation stubbornly refused to open up.
I am concerned though that it will not be appreciated that I'm taking a table for two in such a busy place on a busy night. In fact I would do Tambu lounge if they served the Ohana dinner and took a dining credit. Thanks to this site I found out not only is this not the case but the lounge fills up quickly and you could be waiting a long time.

I do not want to be rushed or made to feel uncomfortable.
Any of you have experiences you could share with me? I hate to give it up(oh those potstickers and that dessert!) but I don't want to feel like an unwanted guest at an A lister party.

Anybody do Ohana dinner solo? I love the place but never have been there as a single. I'm spending a weekend alone and managed to luck into a cancellation for prime time on a Sat night. Too bad this didn't happen on my last trip when I was with a pal! A reservation stubbornly refused to open up.
I am concerned though that it will not be appreciated that I'm taking a table for two in such a busy place on a busy night. In fact I would do Tambu lounge if they served the Ohana dinner and took a dining credit. Thanks to this site I found out not only is this not the case but the lounge fills up quickly and you could be waiting a long time.

Any of you have experiences you could share with me? I hate to give it up(oh those potstickers and that dessert!) but I don't want to feel like an unwanted guest at an A lister party.
I kinda got that feeling at Wolfgang puck in DS. They rush you, slow down a d take even more time. No tips either.

I have done a lot of solo dining and have never once been rushed or felt like the waitstaff was upset that I was taking up a table for two. If they ever did I would ignore it and do what I want anyway!

Sorry, I did go into Trader Sams grotto on my last visit and that was disappointing as I felt awkward and uncomfortable for all the wrong reasons. Shame as the place is awesome and the drink I had was amazing! Just be aware that middle aged females on their own shock the sensibilities of the younger male patrons and CMs

I'm interested to know the story behind this one. I've never been to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto and was going to go solo this year. Should I just sit at the Tiki Terrace (which I know is lovely and has the same drinks)?

First of all, I am a total introvert. I've been on 2 solo trips with another scheduled for May. Dining solo was my biggest fear on my first trip.
Yes, sometimes it can be a bit nerve wracking, but, I've been to Teppan Edo where the high school girl and her family seated next to me actually
included me in some conversations. I actually had a great time. The meal was one of the best I've ever had. One thing I've found is I've gotten in without a reservation several times because I was solo, such as Mama Melrose's where they sat me at the bar facing the kitchen. Same at Rose and Crown. I wouldn't worry about what it looks like eating by yourself. I was able to get over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter