Solo in the summer, 2nd edition!! An August 2017 PTR updated with changes to day 3 and 4. Aug/14

suse66

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Hi everyone!

This time last year my lovely husband gave me the best birthday present I could ever ask for......a 5 day trip to Disney on my own! I stayed at the Boardwalk and had an amazing time, making many magical memories.

Here is my fave pic from the trip.......I just love Baloo and King Eddie!
IMG_2678.JPG
As time went on this year, I was missing my happy place more and more....well we know there is only one cure, right?? So I began plotting...... there was a great discount on park tickets for Canadian residents, I was able to get my flight on Air Miles points and I scored an awesome "magical" rate on my resort room! And so, this trip was born!

Come and join in as I plan out 8 magical days in the happiest place on Earth!

Last edited:
Day 1 ~ August 21st ~ Arrival day!!

I was lucky enough to secure an early morning flight on Air Canada (using Air Miles so all I had to pay was $155 to cover the taxes) and will arrive at MCO by 10:40 am. By this point I know I'll be over the moon with excitement as I get ready to head to Animal Kingdom Lodge for seven awesome nights!

I am hoping for good weather as I would love to spend a few hours relaxing by the beautiful pool before heading to Jiko for dinner!

Just debating as whether or not to head to Disney Springs after dinner. I am a Dooney collector plus I am DYING to check out the dress shop at Cherry Tree Lane..... On the other hand, there seems to be a lot happening at the resort in the evening. Decisions, decisions........

Any experienced AKL visitors out there with advice??

Last edited:
Day 2 ~ August 22 Magic Kingdom and Epcot!!!!

There is nothing better than starting a trip with your two favourite parks! I am planning on being at MK for rope drop this morning (although it won't be the same for me without the original welcome show). It is also a EMM day so I am a little concerned about crowds. My plan is to start the day enjoying the atmosphere on Main Street with the Citizens of Main Street, the Dapper Dans and the Trolley show. I am then hoping to make my way to Frontierland for Splash and BTMR. Checking those off the list, my next stop is my beloved Haunted Mansion and a ride on the Liberty Belle. Add in a tour around the world on IASW and I'll be ready for my first ever lunch at BOG! After lunch, a relaxing trip through time is in order with COP and then off to TTA to cap off a perfect morning at the Magic Kingdom!

After heading back to my resort, I am planning on spending a few hours poolside. After some R and R, it'll be time to get ready for an evening of fun at Epcot! I want to head straight to World Showcase as I have wanted to see the Chinese Acrobats perform and just haven't made it there the last few trips. Next stop is the Rose and Crown pub to pick up a pint of Cider and Black before heading to the garden to hear the British Revolution perform. Dinner plans this evening are at Spice Road Table where I hope to eat out on the patio for a perfect Illuminations view! After dinner, it's time for fun in Future World for EMH. Soarin', Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth will be the order of the day before heading out.

This time last year my lovely husband gave me the best birthday present I could ever ask for......a 5 day trip to Disney on my own!
Wow!!! He sure is a keeper! ::yes::

August 22 Magic Kingdom and Epcot!!!!

There is nothing better than starting a trip with your two favourite parks!
Those are my favorite parks, too!!! And guess what, I think I'll be at both that day too... :rolleyes1

Add in a tour around the world on IASW and I'll be ready for my first ever lunch at BOG!
Yay!!! I went to BOG for a solo lunch in May 2015 and LOVED it!

How fun for you, we have the same great deal and we will be at the Poly from 8/26-9/4/17! We stayed at AKL in February and we loved it, it so nice coming back there after a long day at the park!

Thank you for commenting on my PTR, I also think you were there last August, when we were at DW. We should try to do a Dis meet this time before you head back. That would be fun for sure!

Looking forward to reading more about your plans.

Those are my favorite parks, too!!! And guess what, I think I'll be at both that day too... :rolleyes1
Thanks for joining in Tracy! If the stars align we should definitely meet up for a bevvie in Epcot!
How fun for you, we have the same great deal and we will be at the Poly from 8/26-9/4/17! We stayed at AKL in February and we loved it, it so nice coming back there after a long day at the park!
Glad to hear you and Andi loved AKL! You two are having the best time on your mother/daughter trips....I love it!

Time for an official introduction!

I am definitely the Disney crazy person in my family of five. In my life in the real world, I am a kindergarten teacher and proud mother of three teenage boys. Our life is certainly never dull and always busy! When we first went to Disney in 2009 I was convinced it would be an once and done kind of trip. Well after being upgraded to the Grand Floridian, enjoying the DxDP, being driven up to the castle in one of the antique vehicles and seeing my boys having the time of their lives, I was head over heels in love with it all. We went back for three more family trips and it truly became our happy place. I did my first solo trip last summer to celebrate my 50th birthday and really enjoyed seeing Disney from a new perspective. It was so nice to only have to think about myself! With so many things happening in our lives, I decided a week long respite at the Happiest Place on Earth would be just what I need.

My favourite park: This is such a hard choice but I think I have to pick Epcot although I love MK as well. Can I just say both??
Favourite resort: Yacht Club (love the Epcot resort area!)
Favourite TS: O'hana (the bread pudding!!)
Favourite CS: Columbia Harbour House
Favourite ride: Haunted Mansion
Favourite bevvie: Lapu Lapu
Favourite snack: Mickey pretzel (savoury) and Mickey ice cream bars (sweet)

Looking forward to trying many new things this summer! :)

Last edited:
That's the true beauty of solo trips, isn't it?! The freedom to just think about what will make you happy at that moment and doing it :thumbsup2

My favourite park: This such a hard choice but I think I have to pick Epcot although I love MK as well. Can I just say both??
Pretty much my feelings, too :goodvibes

Favourite CS: Columbia Harbour House
Love this, too!

Favourite ride: Haunted Mansion
Another of my favorites! ::yes::

Excited to read this report, I'm planning a solo trip next year!

It is the best thing ever! Not that trips with others aren't great too but there is something really wonderful about only having to please yourself. I found people to be very friendly and easy to talk to and the CMs are great at putting you at ease. I'm sure you will love it. Happy planning!

4 parks 1 day!!! Am I crazy?? Overly optimistic?? Well, whatever the outcome may be, this is my plan for Day 3. Even with the August heat I think it'll be manageable as I plan on doing the new express transportation. As it stands now, I am going to try for a ride, a show and/or character meet and a snack/bevvie at each park. Will I be up to the challenge?? Only time will tell!

Begin the day at AK for Pandora at rope drop followed by a meet with Mickey and Minnie at Adventure's Outpost and then snacks from Creature Comforts.

Hop to HS to watch the streetmosphere, enjoy "One Man's Dream", watch the "Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular" and head to Anaheim Produce for a Mickey pretzel and an ice cold grapefruit beer. Possibly try to squeeze in Rockin' Roller Coaster in the single rider line.

Next up is Epcot to enjoy the World Showcase. I seriously NEED to try the brioche ice cream sandwich in France and will probably watch "Impressions of France" and enjoy a Grey Goose slushie......mmmm! I may do a little shopping in Japan as my boys LOVE the Japanese candy. I am debating whether to hop back to AKL for a little down time or head over to Wilderness Lodge for an early dinner at Geyser Point.

This evening's plans are to head to MK for EMH!! This is where I'll plan my fast passes for and of course I am SO looking forward to seeing Happily Ever After in person for the first time!!:cloud9: I can only imagine how tired I'll be by the end of the night but I've always wanted to try this so I figured I might as well! Of course I am planning a nice relaxing morning at the resort for the next day.

Have you ever done 4 parks in 1 day? What do you think of the idea??

4 parks 1 day!!! Am I crazy??
YAY!!!!!!!!!! I think it's a great idea and your plans sound very reasonable, especially with the Express Transportation.

I may do a little shopping in Japan as my boys LOVE the Japanese candy.
I don't typically eat a lot of non-chocolate candy but I kinda go nuts in the Japan pavilion and buy a ton :laughing:

Have you ever done 4 parks in 1 day?
YEP!!! And it was awesome! And this was years ago, before Express Transportation was even a thought ;) As long as you're prepared to not cram tons of stuff in, you'll be fine - and your plan sounds good already! :thumbsup2 It's just cool to say you did it! I "may" myself this August... :rolleyes1

On to day 4!! After the super, crazy fun of my 4 parks, one day plans; a relaxing, sleep in, hang out morning is in order. I'll probably head down to the Mara for breakfast and then chill at the pool for a few hours. Hollywood Studios is next with plans for Frozen sing-a-long, a FP for the Great Movie Ride, checking out the Music of Pixar live, a FP for ToT and Star Wars fireworks!

Dinner tonight is at 50's Prime Time which is new to me. I am looking forward to trying the fried cheese appetizer and the crab cakes! Hopefully I'll have room to try the delicious apple crisp with ice cream! Typically we eat at Sci Fi on our HS days as it is my boys' favourite so it'll be nice to try somewhere new.

Any other HS must do's??

Last edited:
the best birthday present I could ever ask for......a 5 day trip to Disney on my own!

That seriously IS the best birthday present ever. I hope someone gives me that when I turn 50.

Day 1 ~ August 21st ~ Arrival day!!

I'm so sad I will miss you by 2 days!

I'll be ready for my first ever lunch at BOG!

Yay! This is the best.

4 parks 1 day!!! Am I crazy?? Overly optimistic??

Maybe lol. But if you are on your own it's probably more doable. You can take it slow and stop if you need to.

I seriously NEED to try the brioche ice cream sandwich in France

I want to try this too. Looks amazing.

Dinner tonight is at 50's Prime Time which is new to me.

This sounds awesome. I am excited about going there too.

I love your plans for the 4 park day, we did this once a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I have heard really good things about the express transportation. I haven't decided if we will do this on our trip, the only reason I hesitate is we always go back in the afternoon for a rest.

So your Jack is going to be a senior like Andi in the fall, I have a hard time with it because she is my baby, lol.
My Jack is working on his Master's Degree in Biomedical technology at University of North Dakota, he just can't understand the frequent repeat Disney trips, oh well.

I hope you enjoy 50's PT, we liked it the last time we went, Sci-fi is a fave of ours.

Caught up now! So Steve and I did 4 parks/1 day I believe last January, so fun! No express transportation but still wasn't hard at all. I do highly recommend using the express transportation though; we've used it now on 2 trips and it is completely worth the cost. Plus, in the August heat?? No brainer!!!

I go back and forth between thinking I'd love a solo Disney trip and being concerned I'd feel too alone :scratchin Pretty sure I'd love the chance to find out!

So your Jack is going to be a senior like Andi in the fall, I have a hard time with it because she is my baby, lol.

I know! My Jack is my oldest (the twins are in grade 9) and I feel as though he just started kindergarten some days! Where does the time go? He is hoping to go to Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia for university and we live in southern Ontario. I can't quite imagine him so far away from home.......

My Jack is working on his Master's Degree in Biomedical technology at University of North Dakota, he just can't understand the frequent repeat Disney trips, oh well.
Wow! You have a smart and capable young man! Jamie and Stuart (my 15 year olds) just roll their eyes when I start talking about Disney.... they might go back in a few years.

Yay!!! I have a lunch ADR here myself. I'm excited as it'll be a new one for me, too! :thumbsup2
It does look yummy! I hope I get a server that really plays up the antics as I think it would be hilarious.

I go back and forth between thinking I'd love a solo Disney trip and being concerned I'd feel too alone :scratchin Pretty sure I'd love the chance to find out!
Well, there's only one way to find out! Purely for research purposes you know, being a TA and all....:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts