Some Questions on Tokyo Disney - Advice Appreciated! :)

faithven

Earning My Ears
Hello! I have plans to visit Tokyo Disney on Mon 21- Tue 22 Dec (I wish I had one more day but I can't fit it into my plans), and would like some advice on the following matters please!

1. Which park should I visit first?

2. How is it like meeting characters?
- Is it possible to find out the timings that certain characters will be out, like in Disneyland Anaheim?
- I've heard a bit about how there aren't really lines, so do you just step up and hope you manage to get to the front of the crowd if there is one?

3. Are Fastpass return timings strictly enforced, or with a grace period (how long?), or not at all?

Thanks very much! 'ppreciate it!

1. Which park?

So, you're planning on visiting both parks on the same day? You will need to buy two separate tickets as they don't sell one-day park hoppers (although you can get discounted "evening" tickets for each park at some times during the year).

You will need to start with whichever park has the most in-demand ride that you want to experience. For example, if you really want to go on Toy Story Mania, then you'll need to go to DisneySea first otherwise it is likely that all of the Fast Passes will be taken and the standby line will be extremely long (i.e. 2-3 hours) if you go there second.

Alternatively, if you really want to go on Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Monsters Inc, then it may be best to visit Disneyland first otherwise the same could happen with either of those rides.

It might be a good idea to check the park opening and closing times as well. I think they're sometimes different (e.g. Disneyland may open 30 minutes before DisneySea). That may impact your decision. The night time show that most interests you may also impact your decision.

If you have been to other Disney theme parks, I would recommend trying to spend as much time as possible at DisneySea at it is entirely unique. So, perhaps start with Disneyland, do everything that you want as soon as possible and then quickly make your way to DisneySea.

2. Character meetings

There are two styles of character meetings - the free roaming kind and the formal "line up and wait" kind.

I'm not aware of any information being published about the times and places for the free roaming characters. The formal character meets all have their times posted (although from memory, they're essentially there all day long). You can ask the cast members about the availability of certain characters, although asking about unfamiliar or unpopular characters may be a little difficult (e.g. I had no issues asking about Donald Duck, but they were less certain about Scrooge McDuck).

The formal character meets have lines. Often very LONG lines. The free roaming characters do not have lines. It depends upon the popularity of the character, but basically a crowd forms and you just have to politely make your way to the front for a photo. There is no pushing or shoving, but you do need to make your presence felt. It's a little confusing as a lot of the local fans seem to like just taking photos of the character by themselves. It can be a bit tricky balancing allowing others a chance to take a photo, while also wanting to step in for a photo with the character. I just try to be quick about it.

3. Fast Pass

I know that the commencement time for Fast Passes is "strictly" enforced (e.g. they wouldn't let us get into line until a couple of minutes before our allotted time). I'm not sure about the closing time. I think it would be relatively strictly enforced because they're very efficient and organised, but they may be a little more accommodating with foreign visitors. I would try to be there within the Fast Pass window to avoid any disappointment.

Thank you so much for your reply, Agent 86!

1. Actually I'm planning to go to one park per day (I have two). I suppose my question is rather odd - but in Orlando I've heard that its advisable to go to the Magic Kingdom on the last day because it ends the trip on the most magical note, while if you start with it you might be disappointed by the other parks - don't know if there's anything similar for Tokyo! I'm guessing that since everyone raves more about Disneysea, it sounds like I should do Disneyland first :)

2. Great! I'm more interested in the roaming meets, and I'll be trying to ask the cast members where and when some of them will show up! I'm really especially interested in meeting the Princes who more or less meet only in Tokyo :P E.g. Prince Eric! I do have a sense of their usual locations (thanks to Instagram) but it's the timing that I want to find out - don't wanna miss this rare chance!

3. Got it, I'll be very careful with my FP return windows then :)

Thanks again!! pluto:

In that case, I would do Disneyland on the first day and DisneySea on the second day. If you've been to other Disneylands, I would definitely save the "best" (i.e. DisneySea) for last.

Asking the cast members about character appearances can be a little challenging due to language barriers, but give it a go. I usually ask the cast members who stand near the information boards in each park. I *think* they deliberately try to put cast members who speak English quite well in those locations.

It's odd that you mention the Disney Princes. I've been to the Tokyo theme parks three times, but I don't think I've ever seen a Disney Prince! I'll definitely keep an eye out for them on my next visit. Of course, I think every time I have been it has rained for at least one of the days, which no doubt cuts down on the free roaming characters.

I have been to TDLR 3 times with the last trip two years ago.

1. Make sure you see one park on each day with Tokyo Disneyland being first. Tokyo DisneySea is beautiful you may not want to visit TDL.

2. Characters like Duffy and Oswald seemed too have the longest lines.

3. Fastpass return times were not enforced when I went last.

Additional tips...
Get to the parks early. Many guests will line up more than an hour before park opening.

When those gates open be prepared for the stampede. You will not need to run even though everyone else will be.

The majority of the guest will know how to visit Disney. They all know how to use FP and which attractions to get in line for. In some cases you can wait longer just to get a FP ticket than getting in Stand By.

Try the flavored popcorn. Then save your souvenir box and refill it for a bit cheaper

Toy Story is the same exact ride as the other parks but the queue is quite good. Not sure if it is worth the wait for FP.

Make sure you catch the stage shows. Most of them are quite good.

If I get to TDL at opening I head to Pooh Hunt first go back and grab a FP for Monster. Then ride Splash, Thunder, and the attractions on that side. Get a FP for Space when it is time. Save Toontown, Fantasyland for the nighttime.

For TDS head to Journey to the Center of the Earth. Get a FP for it then ride it via Stand By. Then 20,000 Leagues, then use FP for Journey. Grab a FP for Indiana Jones then ride Fire and Water coaster, then Sinbad. After you use Indy FP explore Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon. Then take train or boat to American Waterfront. Get FP for Tower. Head to Port Discovery then back down towards the waterfront.

The water shows are also awesome here.

The best place to meet character is the area between the entrance gates and Main Street. Tons of characters meet there throughout the day. We met the 3 little Pigs, Jiminy Cricket, Esmerelda, Scrooge Mc Duck, etc etc etc. I don't know that they have exact schedules...maybe they do, but I certainly don't know enough Japanese to even try to ask about that!

We visited Tokyo DisneySea first on our last trip. It's a gorgeous, amazing park. You can't really compare it to Tokyo Disneyland. They're both beautiful parks in unique ways.

I wouldn't expect FP return times to be flexible...again, I don't know enough Japanese to try to explain that I KNOW I'm late, but am hoping they'll let me ride anyway...Japanese people follow the rules so I do as well.

On your Tokyo Disneyland day getting FP for Poohs honey hunt should be a priority! (Assuming you want to go on it of course) For us in November they had run out by midday.

I agree with everyone else. Save DisneySea for the 2nd day. It's amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter