Some Random ?'s

FayeW

DIS Veteran
Hi All! As everybody knows we are going on our first trip Dec 5-13. I know the weather can be iffy, but will I need sunscreen at this time of year? Also, is there anything you recommend we bring along that you can't buy there, you know, a must have that you forgot and then couldn't find anywhere when you needed it? I know we should bring some tylenol, etc., will I have trouble bringing open packages through the border or security checks, or should I just buy new packages with the security seals?

We always make sure to bring lots of film and batteries (much more expensive to purchase at Disney) and gum (not for sale at Disney). We do bring sunscreen, even in the winter months, and don't forget your sunglasses!

Bring rain ponchos..the are about 10 bucks in WDW (I am guessing since it's been awhile sine I bought one there), bu you can go to the dollar store and buy them here for a Canadian dollar. Purchase bottled water (make sure it is not bottled in Florida unless you like a mineral tasting water), at the local walmart or super market, and bring it into the parks with you. It'll cost you about 3 dollars for a bottle there. Have a great time!

Don't forget some bug spray...I don't know if the mosquitos will be out in December but they sure were last week...I'm still scratching. I'd throw some in just to be on the safe side. Water is $2.50 in the parks and rain ponchos are $8...they're clear now, not yellow (much better). Definitely bring lots of film & put it in your carry-on. They don't seem to bother with things such as Tylenol so you'll be fine.

One last, but important item...moleskin. You'll walk more than you ever imagined & moleskin can be a life-saver (works so much better than band-aids). I would never go without it. You can find it at Shoppers Drug Mart & it works great.

I agree that the moleskin is a lifesaver! A word of advice, pack a small pair of scissors in your suitcase because we didn't have any and needed to cut the moleskin. We bought a sewing kit at the gift shop, and those scissors couldn't cut anything. We ended up breaking a few threads of the moleskin by sawing with the scissors and my husband was able to rip off the pieces I needed.

One other thing that we found to be incredibly useful was Brita water bottles. We were able to fill them with ice water at the hotel or at the water fountains in the parks and since the water goes through the filter as you squeeze it, there's no funny taste. We bought them at Canadian Tire for about 10 bucks and they were worth every penny. We also bought water bottle holders at Walmart. The water bottle is zipped into the holder and it's thermal so it stays cold. There is a long strap and a short strap... so useful for carrying around the parks.

We also took a tip we read online somewhere and put it to the test. We bought a cheap backpack and sprayed 3 or 4 coats of ScotchGuard on it. Not only will this repel stains, but anything you put inside will stay dry even on Kali River Rapids or Splash Mountain. If it rains, you don't have to worry about cameras, film or whatever you happen to be carrying around getting ruined. A travel size umbrella came in handy as well. You never know when it will rain in Florida.

Have a great trip!

Just wanted to add my thanks for the tips too!! I would have never thought of the scotchguard!!

Thanks again!
Vicky

Yes, Thanks for the tips, everyone! I knew something about moleskin, but I didn't know you could buy it here, I thought it was an American thing. I'll be picking some up at Shopper's next time I'm in, along with the Earplanes for the flight.
As it happens, I have a brand new, inexpensive (Giant Tiger) knapsack that I bought a few months ago to have as a spare for when those damnedable nylon zippers break on the kids' backpacks, so I will get some scotchguard and give it a whirl. I had planned on bringing in a few bottles of Dasani each day to the parks, but I can see how buying the Brita's will save on lugging around a knapsack full of water bottles all day, I'll have a look for those as well. My DH and I each have fannypacks with the bottle holder attached so I won't need any holders. I will still have to buy some water, because I'm going to bring some packets of sugar free kool-aid to mix with the water sometimes for a treat for the kids, and it will probably gunk up the filter in the Brita's.

Carry an extra pair of socks with you (in fanny pack). Change socks 1/2 way thru the day. This prevents blisters, keep your feet as dry a possible, I also dump tons of foot powder in my shoes in the morning. I also rotate between other pairs of shoes each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter