Something About Nothing............ #14

realfood.....we used to be the same with ICI till they sold us down the river and closed a whole plant for the sake of using cheap labour in India/Phillipines. So many lost their jobs and towns around were decimated through the domino effect.

My great, great grandfather was in the first few folks on the turnlist when Alfred Nobel started out, they were good friends by then. All my uncles, and even my mother for a short time before she got married all worked there. She left after she had to step over a man who had been in an accident. Won`t be any more graphic, but needless to say she was horrified when I went into the Explosives Industry too. And of course Tom. My grandfather worked for them for over 40 years before dropping dead one morning as he walked into his office. No compensation back then for asbestos neglect. Some of the stuff we worked with was horrific.

But, I do know what you mean....if you worked for them it was usually cradle to grave.

I should add though, selfishly, that closure worked in our favour and was the best thing for us as we moved away from that area, to several other places as Tom managed to progress through other channels......but the down side of that is we had to leave our family behind.

Not sure what happened to my quote of you????

View attachment 540064

DSs car acting up yet again. My big chance to be that 5:30 am road warrior again until the garage figures that mess out.

Want to make 6 pumpkin pies, 3 on tap today. Will make the rest tomorrow after the big boy is done in the oven. Thanksgiving proper will do the other two breasts & sides. Mr, who isn’t a big ham fan gave me a double take when I said I was skipping the ham. argh

This year, instead of having my kids come back for leftovers, going to hand them each a turkey breast & containers of the side dishes to eat at their leisure as they leave. Figure they’ll stay late as it is since football game is on late.

That = half-baked attempt at social distancing. Better than nothing.

Talk about living the dream, enjoy.

Near SW? I love that location, great service.

To paraphrase the great Mr Twain..the reports of his death were greatly exaggerated lol

It can be a real bugger to fix that though. Somebody reported to Social Security that my mother had passed, Nearly 15 years ago. I had to haul her over to local office as “proof” she was still kicking. Which she was, along with nearly screaming that they were wasting her time.

Is it a civil servant position there? Here, it seems that a large majority of those with that sort of life-time job security are more than a bit lax performing their duties all the way around

They put Post Offices up for tender and anyone can run one, but yes, I do believe they are classed as Civil Servants. The couple who used to run it were very nice, but they gave it up and complete turnaround in service. We have a lot of elderly folks in our village who can`t really go anywhere else, which is a shame.

The PO I travel to is run by an Indian family, and you always get the friendliest of welcomes, they chat and actually make you feel they value you as a customer. Big difference.

Oh I can imagine your mother!!! How dreadful you actually had to take your mum down to prove she was alive! How would they deal with it if someone was housebound!! Crazy......Tom thought it was hilarious.....me not so much.

And thanks to your cinammon roll pictures, which looked gorgeous.....Tom said, oh can you make a few of them......lol.....so I`ll need to buy some bits and may make them tomorrow......

Sausage rolls........

food24-XL.jpg

Cranberry sausage rolls.....sugar has come out so they look a little caramelised...they are lush!!! I love savoury and sweet together.......

Store bought ones are prettier.....but nowhere near as tasty!

If I do them for a party, they are more bite size and daintier.

food26-XL.jpg

Think I used too many leeks.....but this is a quarter of the size I`d make for Christmas....it is like meat loaf as we slice it, but just a good quality sausagemeat and flavourings. No balls here.....a good old slice and it has to be ice cold......

food28-XL.jpg

A lovely friend sent me this she found on the internet today. I have no idea who the picture is by, so I`ll credit Google....

Today is the anniversary of Freddie Mercury`s death in 1991, and this artist did this to show what he thought Freddie would have looked like if he was still alive.

I do see how he could look like that.......

Freddie-XL.jpg

Time for lunch.........

Last edited:
@keishashadow post office system changed here some years ago. Sadly a lot of the little local PO’s could not make enough money to be “just” a post office. Many are now inside larger stores. Years ago many would collect pensions, child benefit etc over the counter. Now almost everything is direct payment. Our little one here is now a take out sandwich shop. The one in town is awful - inside a large store. I always used the one in Mum and Dad’s village as lovely gift and card shop too.
Hope DS car problems sorted soon.

Good morning @Lynne G. Love a frosty day. These grey skies not so much.

Gifts all sorted from hidden nooks and crannies and just spent a couple of hours viewing old slides on Dad’s projector - Kev sourced 3 old style carousels for me to load up and I have filled them but still a few boxes to sort out.

Just going to have cheese and crackers for lunch and then chicken curry for tonight.

Stayed dry and Kev got both cars cleaned so he’s happy.

Very quick good morning. I have to leave for work in a few minutes. Hope I can finish up everything I need to get done before I leave,

On three seperate occasions Tom went into the bank, many years ago, upshot was......the lady each time, looked aghast and told Tom he was supposed to be deceased :rotfl:
Funny now, but I'm sure it wasn't at the time. I wonder if they got him mixed up with someone with the same name. Did you ever watch the show Mad About You? I remember an episode where that happened. Paul and Jamie we going shopping and couldn't use any of their cards.

Gotta run.

Very quick good morning. I have to leave for work in a few minutes. Hope I can finish up everything I need to get done before I leave,

Funny now, but I'm sure it wasn't at the time. I wonder if they got him mixed up with someone with the same name. Did you ever watch the show Mad About You? I remember an episode where that happened. Paul and Jamie we going shopping and couldn't use any of their cards.

Gotta run.

His dad had almost the same name, but this was several years after he passed away. And we have a double barrelled name, but we only use the middle one, or first one depending on how you see it....so that confuses a lot of people anyway.......we`re known by most as Mr and Mrs xxxxxxxxxxx but our real surname is very different.......so lots to mix up I guess.

I used to love Mad About You....but can`t recall that episode......

Have a good day at work......hope it goes quickly.

Nodded off on couch LOL
My great, great grandfather was in the first few folks on the turnlist when Alfred Nobel started out, they were good friends by then. All my uncles, and even my mother for a short time before she got married all worked there. She left after she had to step over a man who had been in an accident. Won`t be any more graphic, but needless to say she was horrified when I went into the Explosives Industry too. And of course Tom. My grandfather worked for them for over 40 years before dropping dead one morning as he walked into his office. No compensation back then for asbestos neglect. Some of the stuff we worked with was horrific.
How cool is that with your GF knowing Mr Nobel

Eek to work stories. My mom worked with asbestos for years, used in railroad car brakes. Shamefully, most of those companies ahem dissolved once the lawsuits started to perk. She had what they termed ‘bad bronchitis starting the same year she started to work there’. Nothing worse though, thank God. Said when she went into the plant (often) could see a white haze of sorts in the air. Can only imagine how many poor souls perished from related issues.

Oh I can imagine your mother!!! How dreadful you actually had to take your mum down to prove she was alive! How would they deal with it if someone was housebound!! Crazy......Tom thought it was hilarious.....me not so much.
File this under when life gives you lemons but, it was rather funny once there. Her mind had started to slip a bit by then. Even with her hearing aide was hard of hearing.

Sitting there and the oh-so bored clerk is asking her questions. Had a low voice & mom wasn’t quite catching what she was saying. I had to keep repeating it to her.

Clerk kept warning me in an ominous tone that my mom had to answer for herself. She, at that point had plenty to say; just nothing nice lol. Reminded me of Abbott & Costello who’s on first bit. :crazy:

And thanks to your cinammon roll pictures, which looked gorgeous.....Tom said, oh can you make a few of them......lol.....so I`ll need to buy some bits and may make them tomorrow......
Haha
Hope DS car problems sorted soon.
Oh me too, thanks. That’s interesting re your postal service, perhaps more convenient. The way the postal service is going here, who knows how things will wind up. Since amazon has to be their biggest corporate customer maybe they will absorb it too into their giant monopoly.

Ack. That oh so what a pain in the butt, and hole in pocketbook, car repairs. Keisha, hope DS’s car is a cheap and easy repair.

MonyK, Hope meal was good at Bone Fish. Sounds like perfect weather, and pool fun. Wish we had that warm weather right now. I have two sleeping college kids. Both on break, as older one’s classes scheduled today and tomorrow were cancelled, and assignments due by end of week. Hence, two sound asleep kids.

Schumi, how neat is that, that your grandfather knew Noble. Yeah, the kids laugh when I get mail in my maiden name. I have been using my married name longer than I did my maiden one. You know the ones sent with my prior name must be from an very old list.

Ooh, so bright out. Tea? Why yes I will. Oh, and maybe buy some cinnamon buns. 😊

Nodded off on couch LOL

How cool is that with your GF knowing Mr Nobel

Eek to work stories. My mom worked with asbestos for years, used in railroad car brakes. Shamefully, most of those companies ahem dissolved once the lawsuits started to perk. She had what they termed ‘bad bronchitis starting the same year she started to work there’. Nothing worse though, thank God. Said when she went into the plant (often) could see a white haze of sorts in the air. Can only imagine how many poor souls perished from related issues.

File this under when life gives you lemons but, it was rather funny once there. Her mind had started to slip a bit by then. Even with her hearing aide was hard of hearing.

Sitting there and the oh-so bored clerk is asking her questions. Had a low voice & mom wasn’t quite catching what she was saying. I had to keep repeating it to her.

Clerk kept warning me in an ominous tone that my mom had to answer for herself. She, at that point had plenty to say; just nothing nice lol. Reminded me of Abbott & Costello who’s on first bit. :crazy:

Haha

Oh me too, thanks. That’s interesting re your postal service, perhaps more convenient. The way the postal service is going here, who knows how things will wind up. Since amazon has to be their biggest corporate customer maybe they will absorb it too into their giant monopoly.

lol....oh that is funny.....who`s on first......but I`ll bet it wasn`t so funny at the time!

We worked around some nasty stuff. Nitro Glycerin, PETN, black powder, TNT (that was nasty) regular detonators, igniter cord and many other bits and pieces including pesticides.

Women, lots of them didn`t get more than a few years after they retired from one cancer or other. Yes, you were well paid, but not worth it in the end. So I wasn`t completely heartbroken when it closed. Some of the machinery the women worked with was antiquated and had been there for yonks. I hated even walking through the plants when I had to. They got their pound of flesh for sure.

Tom was on the engineering side so he thankfully never spent much time on the shop floor either directly dealing with the stuff.

My uncle I`m sure still has some of the very old pictures of the great, great grandfather and Nobel himself. I`ve never seen them.

I did both my degrees while working there, English Lit as I always wanted to do something else. I went in there for the good wages, at 18 I was earning more than my dad. And then Tom encouraged me to do the Explosive Ordnance degree planning to veer off in a different direction too, just in time for the place to close down......lol.....

Gosh that stretched out......lol......and since we moved away I`ve been the happiest housewife ever......:rotfl:

Hope your pies turn out just luvverly......

Cloudy and miserable afternoon here.......think I`ll scan some more pictures onto the computer.

@keishashadow here Post Office is totally different to Royal Mail. Can be confusing. Royal Mail is the delivery service. My DS works for RM. Again many changes for Royal Mail now not run by the government but sold off like our rail service, telephone service etc. A lot of our Amazon deliveries etc come by RM. Do you use tinned pumpkin for your pies?

So much history @schumigirl around the company. I worked most of my career on the beautiful Alderley Park site. Totally amazing place I’m sure you’ve passed near your relatives. Sadly mostly sold off now with research just on one side of the park. I’m following the makeover of one beautiful building on the side sold off for housing. Initially the Tennants Hall when a stately home it eventually became Sir James Black conference centre following his Nobel Prize in 88. He came back for the opening having left sometime before. It is now going to be a pub and we hope to go to the opening if it can ever take place.

Have you watched The Crown? We never did but have been recommended to try it so we will be starting after we’ve eaten tonight.

@keishashadow here Post Office is totally different to Royal Mail. Can be confusing. Royal Mail is the delivery service. My DS works for RM. Again many changes for Royal Mail now not run by the government but sold off like our rail service, telephone service etc. A lot of our Amazon deliveries etc come by RM. Do you use tinned pumpkin for your pies?

So much history @schumigirl around the company. I worked most of my career on the beautiful Alderley Park site. Totally amazing place I’m sure you’ve passed near your relatives. Sadly mostly sold off now with research just on one side of the park. I’m following the makeover of one beautiful building on the side sold off for housing. Initially the Tennants Hall when a stately home it eventually became Sir James Black conference centre following his Nobel Prize in 88. He came back for the opening having left sometime before. It is now going to be a pub and we hope to go to the opening if it can ever take place.

Have you watched The Crown? We never did but have been recommended to try it so we will be starting after we’ve eaten tonight.

I know that area well Julie.....

That sounds interesting with the building. I agree, so much history in our industry. When we go back home and see the shell of a place started in 1873, that once hosted 30,000 workers at it`s peak, it`s a tragedy. Buildings that should have been preserved, but sadly, the cost of decontamination outweighs any possible plans developers would love to have implemented.

Never watched The Crown. I think it`s too dramatic, and the recent episides seem to be set to cause only ructions......but some wonderful actresses in it. I wonder what you`ll think of it though. Many enjoy it a lot......

Time to start dinner.......although Tom just said he`ll eat the stuffing sliced.....I asked what did he want with it......more stuffing was his answer.......okaydok.

No idea what I`m having.........

Was a beautiful lunchtime walk, even if not as warm as wanted.

Safe travels to Charade, if I forget. Enjoy your time away.

Hope all are doing well.

@schumigirl i think you are probably right about The Crown - Em has watched them all and said the first two series were the best and supposedly more factual than later episodes. However, so far enjoying the acting and production side of it all.

Gotta run.

You leave Wednesday or turkey day for your group holiday?

You’ll have fun!

Why were all those people out shopping too today? :tilt: I went out pre pies to try & beat the crowd. Hard time finding a decent half ham to keep the mr happy

He went to store with my list last week. Grabbed Pie mix vs canned pumpkin. Libby’s looks rather similar, I didn’t think to check it

Will grab the right stuff when Out tomorrow as I’m Visiting the orthopedic office crack of dawn. surprised they got me an appointment in in two days Thumb acting up again, it just couldn’t wait till after Thanksgiving lol

We worked around some nasty stuff. Nitro Glycerin, PETN, black powder, TNT (that was nasty) regular detonators, igniter cord and many other bits and pieces including pesticides.
finding myself tensing up just reading that t

Hope your pies turn out just luvverly...
Nope, bad, so bad I tossed it. It looked like a lava pit? Never seen anything like it 🤪
2E08F6FA-C004-4AF5-97E3-F4DA6567584E.jpeg
at least fried rice panned out

F69F501B-E2B6-4342-9D56-E1B9CFA1800F.jpeg
Do you use tinned pumpkin for your pies?
Always. Fruit pies I make my own filling tho. How about you?

I am exhausted. It seems like everyone in town decided that today was the day they were doing to seek mental health help. It seemed like the phone was ringing all day. I have been exchanging emails back and forth with one company that is trying to to give us a referral. The problem is that the keep sending encrypted emails that I can't open. Finally, after the third message they asked for a fax number. I got the fax just as I was leaving today. The client in question lives in Georgia. I've got to call tomorrow and tell them we can't accept the referral.

I used to love Mad About You....but can`t recall that episode......
I remember that Jamie wanted to buy a bathmat and was pretty insistent on it through the episode. All of their cards and bank account got cancelled because the other Paul Buchman had died. They finally decided to crash the funeral out of curiosity. They talked to a friend or family member of the deceased who said nice things about him.Then said something like one day he stepped out of the shower, slipped and fell, and that was it. If only he had a bathmat.

Safe travels to Charade, if I forget. Enjoy your time away.
Thanks Lynne. I can't wait to leave.

You leave Wednesday or turkey day for your group holiday?
We leave for Atlanta on Friday.

Gotta go make dinner now. Ugh.

Rain for Thanksgiving, but at least just a cloudy day tomorrow.

Did pick up a lovely pack of cinnamon buns. And made our breakfast for dinner meal again. Last of the ham, with home fries, plain for little one, rest with bacon and cheese, and scrambled eggs. Zap a meal was eaten by little one, as no ham or eggs for her. No matter, no leftovers.

And, since very dark out, the moon to light your way tonight:
B9E1E0E6-DB62-4076-BD4E-49FB1570DBDB.jpeg

@keishashadow Libby’s tinned here - never seen another brand and recently watched a history of food documentary that showed how they came to be the main producer. Not a popular flavour here in our home unless fresh, roasted with other savoury items or in soup. When that lava effect happened on the baking show it was because the pastry base had lifted underneath. I am a from scratch cook for the majority or what we eat. All the problems with my insides make me cautious with a lot of processed foods.

Em and I are off out shortly for our 10am M&S shopping slot. Not sure what equivalent store would be in US.

Happy Wednesday all x

@schumigirl i think you are probably right about The Crown - Em has watched them all and said the first two series were the best and supposedly more factual than later episodes. However, so far enjoying the acting and production side of it all.

I heard the first two series were the best. I wonder if they changed writers later.....

Why were all those people out shopping too today? :tilt: I went out pre pies to try & beat the crowd. Hard time finding a decent half ham to keep the mr happy

He went to store with my list last week. Grabbed Pie mix vs canned pumpkin. Libby’s looks rather similar, I didn’t think to check it

Will grab the right stuff when Out tomorrow as I’m Visiting the orthopedic office crack of dawn. surprised they got me an appointment in in two days Thumb acting up again, it just couldn’t wait till after Thanksgiving lol

finding myself tensing up just reading that t

Nope, bad, so bad I tossed it. It looked like a lava pit? Never seen anything like it 🤪
View attachment 540149
at least fried rice panned out

View attachment 540150

Always. Fruit pies I make my own filling tho. How about you?

We went to a grocery store yesterday for storecupboard ingredients and it was mobbed! And as December gets closer, it`ll only get busier.......online grocery delivery/orders will be a godsend next month!

Yes, that is quite a lava pit.......lol......fresh fillings for us too with fruit pies, with the exception of frozen blueberries/blackberries......for some reason they always work out fine.

Next time we meet remind me to tell you the joys of working with TNT! Or maybe I`ll devote one whole.....looooong email......haha....

Good luck this morning, hope it goes well and you get sorted out!

I am exhausted. It seems like everyone in town decided that today was the day they were doing to seek mental health help. It seemed like the phone was ringing all day. I have been exchanging emails back and forth with one company that is trying to to give us a referral. The problem is that the keep sending encrypted emails that I can't open. Finally, after the third message they asked for a fax number. I got the fax just as I was leaving today. The client in question lives in Georgia. I've got to call tomorrow and tell them we can't accept the referral.

I remember that Jamie wanted to buy a bathmat and was pretty insistent on it through the episode. All of their cards and bank account got cancelled because the other Paul Buchman had died. They finally decided to crash the funeral out of curiosity. They talked to a friend or family member of the deceased who said nice things about him.Then said something like one day he stepped out of the shower, slipped and fell, and that was it. If only he had a bathmat.

Thanks Lynne. I can't wait to leave.

We leave for Atlanta on Friday.

Gotta go make dinner now. Ugh.

Aww, that is a sad thing to read that so many are seeking help. Well, it`s good they`re seeking help of course.

I don`t remember that episode, but it must be 20 years since I watched that show.....they never repeat it here. Sounds funny though.

Nice you have a trip to look forward to after Thanksgiving......always good to have.

Taco Bell night for me
Their menu changed again.....

Hope it was good!!!

I think I can say......last night I had the best sleep in such a long time! Went to bed at 11 and slept right through till 7.30am. I have no memory of doing that in years.

It helps Kyle is off this week and usually he still gets up around 6am, but he said he was having a sleep in too......I think he got up around the same which is so unusual for him. He thinks he`s wasting the day if he`s not up by 6.......we`ve always been early risers, but now and again.......a late sleep is nice.

Out for an appointment this afternoon, but not much going on this morning. It`s raining and not very nice.

Tomorrow have a gorcery delivery coming early then we`re out doing some deliveries for the housebound. Should only take a couple of hours.

I really should have decideded by now what`s for dinner tonight.......

cv73-M.gif

cv59-Th.jpg

cv90-M.png

Have a wonderful Wednesday

CDAAFA9A-F7FA-4764-80E0-6C09D556047E.jpeg

Ah yes, poor camel, knowing that this hump of a day, can’t be a Thanksgiving holiday. Can be a Christmas one though.

A hearty good morning to you all.

Glad to hear a sound sleep last night, Schumi.

Julie, hope you are shopping with Em now. Yep, not only do we have different sayings and items, stores are different too. I do make pies too. But like most, just use canned pumpkin. I tend to buy a jar of mince meat too. But other fruit pies, yes, from fresh fruit. Mostly cherry and blueberry, in the summer, when they are local, and the best tasting. I also do a lemon one, and chocolate too. But around the holidays, cookies.

Keisha, hey, even if does not look the best, as long as it tastes good, would be eaten in our house.

Ah, enjoy the talk of food here, as on a week day, quick breakfast is a what will I eat kind. And since nothing left over from dinner, it’s a hmm, off to see what I can find.

A most Wonderful Wednesday to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter