Something Borrowed, Blue, COLD & New - A Disney Wedding Extravaganza! Update: 11/15 (pg. 15)

I've now worked five of the past six Saturday's (in addition to working Monday-Friday), so my time for Disboarding is almost non-existent these days. Only two more weeks of work until I have a week off though (going to visit my husband's family, so I'm sure I'll have time to get caught up on some reports here).

Oh man, that's brutal!! WOWZA!

It's really great to see how amazing they make these trips for the Wish Kids and their families.

I have read several WISH Kid TRs and every one of them is so special. Loads of loving on those kids for sure!

I hope you enjoy your Disney trip!

I did! I even got up my first TR chapter so stop on by! :)

I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated this! Between work being insanely busy (and I've been taking on new responsibilities), plus making time to spend with my husband/dogs/cats, I barely have any time left for trip reporting - and I also realize how far behind I am on all of your reports too! I'll get caught up eventually! I've also been busy planning our next Disney vacations, fastpass selections have now been made for our December trip, and ADR's have begun being made for our trip next May with all the fabulous ladies from these boards... Anyways, on to more of this trip report - this post is mainly pictures, but I will have another, more exciting post within the next week or so :)

January 1, 2018 - Part One

We woke up relatively early, and called bell services. While we waited for them to arrive, we finished packing up the last few items, before handing over all our luggage. After two nights at Pop, we were moving up to a much fancier hotel for the night!

I also realized I had not taken pictures of our room when we first arrived since we were in a hurray to get to Magic Kingdom – what a bad trip reported I am! I took the time to take some before we left – so ignore the fact that the bed isn’t perfectly made, etc.

C8AE65E1-E03A-4914-9E7B-39590A1EB827-e1540960303687-225x300.jpeg

FAC3B9C6-D24F-4071-A26C-7F3144EC39F6-e1540960331897-225x300.jpeg

*I thought the showers were pretty nice!

B5DAC361-BBBF-4784-895E-2FA0A930C99C-e1540960444582-225x300.jpeg

*A pocket door and full-length mirror separated the sink area from the toilet/shower

CE7F9554-B691-4957-9AAC-46EFF8FA4266-e1540960551602-225x300.jpeg

9E1862DF-928F-46E5-811B-ED6EB84C7397-e1540960583945-225x300.jpeg

*I didn’t use it, but there was a hair dryer, iron and full-size ironing board in the room

3D1CB072-102C-4D11-9A2E-FA9FF415900B-e1540960611718-225x300.jpeg

3A34AFF9-78C7-4008-BCCA-8E275B657FE4.jpeg

*Again, ignore the terrible job at making the bed, I just pulled the blankets up so it wasn’t a crumpled mess. The bed itself was decent, and it was really nice to have plug-ins on either side to charge our phones at night.

047933E2-A777-48B0-9A43-048AC6B7F85F.jpeg

*Even more plug-ins underneath the TV! I was impressed by the amount in these renovated rooms

16C5A355-6C67-4426-9B53-259D1477246D.jpeg

*The safe is small, but more than enough for us to keep our passports safe! It was also used to keep our wedding bands safe, since we couldn’t wear them yet!

256F6764-245F-40AB-A70A-ED0A80EF48B2-e1540960928109-225x300.jpeg

*I think this is a great use of space! Since it was just the two of us, we left it set up as a table for the duration of our stay, but I can see how it’d be a bit cramped if you had to leave it down as a bed during your trip.

2F2CBF4B-395B-4A8C-8071-3046FB1E49B4-e1540961225710-225x300.jpeg

*The headboard of the pull-down bed

F7DDA9A0-FB5C-4470-BA31-E64976DD309C-300x225.jpeg

*It was incredibly easy to pull down the bed/push it back up, I’m a weakling and I didn’t find it too heavy at all

A98E69E0-E4B6-4588-A9CA-7DFCCD893E65-e1540961636125-225x300.jpeg

24513ABB-1C90-4338-A057-86FF5FBF1C6F-e1540961702914-225x300.jpeg

*The clear-front mini fridges are pretty mini, they really don’t hold much at all…

We had been cutting through the parking lot to get to the buses/main building at Pop, since it was much quicker, but we decided to actually walk through the resort (seeing as how we were leaving, and still hadn’t done this…)

F3D7E517-35E3-4FD1-B36C-B4650E8D597C.jpeg

637DDE8A-1C7A-42B6-9E52-23B1F26AD18E.jpeg

AAB397CD-6B16-4BD4-9163-30CFD9B9FF1F-e1540962471914-225x300.jpeg

A564D5C5-FA51-4755-921D-46029323B7CD.jpeg

75475452-0117-4D26-A0FD-11E1964ED7A5-e1540962517149-225x300.jpeg

ADE58FCF-8037-446D-8183-7FFF78D8DD57-e1540962541247-225x300.jpeg

92428C94-CE70-45C9-81B1-099167758231.jpeg

0946E351-BEBD-44B5-BD9D-C516305F467E-e1540962575482-225x300.jpeg

D5F62F64-CC5B-43CE-BEAD-4C04E9343654.jpeg

D810DB8B-5EA2-4D0A-9257-505346EC0F23.jpeg

8AD62B75-E620-47A3-B500-85B60531CA1B-e1540962708894-225x300.jpeg

3E8BD2A9-C363-4D05-AE7A-59D67277CC70.jpeg

We went to Everything Pop food court, but we realized we didn’t really have time to sit down and have a proper breakfast, so we each grabbed a pre-made sandwich from the refrigerator section. I didn’t take pictures of them or the receipt but I had turkey and Luke had ham – both on white bread with cheddar cheese. If I remember correctly, they didn’t have any type of sauce on them, but they had mayo/mustard/etc packets to put on yourself. This food court typically accepts Tables in Wonderland, but it was still a blackout date so we paid full price – $7.50/sandwich. Not a great deal, but the sandwiches were decent and were enough food to hold us over.

Luke sat down on a bench by the front door to eat, and called an Uber at the same time. I ran over to the front desk to make sure I didn’t need to do anything special to check out of the hotel (there’s sometimes different rules since we’re International, plus I had booked our two night stay at Pop using the room block we had set up for our wedding). By the time I got back over to Luke, his entire sandwich was gone, our Uber was about a minute away and I hadn’t started eating – anyone who knows me, knows I’m the slowest eater on the planet haha. I ate half of that thing so fast! I hate eating in other people’s vehicles, so I shoved the other half into my purse haha.

We said goodbye to Pop Century, and headed off for another volunteer shift at Give Kids the World!

B82BA453-3578-44CE-8BFA-E32D95A97C67-300x225.jpeg

Between work being insanely busy (and I've been taking on new responsibilities), plus making time to spend with my husband/dogs/cats, I barely have any time left for trip reporting - and I also realize how far behind I am on all of your reports too! I'll get caught up eventually!

Oooh, I SO understand this! No worries, Fallon! We're here whenever you can squeeze in some DIS-time.

Thanks for the Pop pictures and review! I'd like to stay there again now that the rooms are refurbed!!

I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated this!

It seems like only a week or two since we last spoke.

;)

I'll get caught up eventually!

No worries! I get "busy". The TRs will be there when you can find the time. :)

ADR's have begun being made for our trip next May

Me too! I'm all done!

I will have another, more exciting post within the next week or so :)

ooooohhhh….

After two nights at Pop, we were moving up to a much fancier hotel for the night!

ASSp?

:lmao:

ignore the fact that the bed isn’t perfectly made, etc.

:eek: What???!?!?!?!?!?

FAC3B9C6-D24F-4071-A26C-7F3144EC39F6-e1540960331897-225x300.jpeg

*I thought the showers were pretty nice!

That's not bad!

It was also used to keep our wedding bands safe, since we couldn’t wear them yet!

Oh! I didn't even think of that.

*It was incredibly easy to pull down the bed/push it back up, I’m a weakling and I didn’t find it too heavy at all

Was wondering about that. :)

we decided to actually walk through the resort (seeing as how we were leaving, and still hadn’t done this…)

I walked around it when I stayed there. They have lots to see. I enjoyed it. :)

This food court typically accepts Tables in Wonderland, but it was still a blackout date

TIW has blackout dates? I'm surprised.

(there’s sometimes different rules since we’re International

There is? I mean... I know you have to leave about 43 hours early for the airport, but...

anyone who knows me, knows I’m the slowest eater on the planet

I didn't notice, actually. :)

We said goodbye to Pop Century, and headed off for another volunteer shift at Give Kids the World!

Another shift! Wow! :worship:

our trip next May with all the fabulous ladies from these boards

:banana: Super excited to meet you and all the others!

I had turkey and Luke had ham – both on white bread with cheddar cheese. If I remember correctly, they didn’t have any type of sauce on them, but they had mayo/mustard/etc packets to put on yourself. This food court typically accepts Tables in Wonderland, but it was still a blackout date so we paid full price – $7.50/sandwich.

YIKES!!! :scared:

I didn't know this either!! EEK!!! Goes to check May trip for any....

Oooh, I SO understand this! No worries, Fallon! We're here whenever you can squeeze in some DIS-time.

Thanks for the Pop pictures and review! I'd like to stay there again now that the rooms are refurbed!!

Thanks Meghan!

I thought the refurbished rooms were quite nice, and made good use of space! The price was also perfect (especially for NYE!)

Nice to "see" you again, Fallon!! :)

Another shift!? You're the best!!

Thanks Jackie! It was so much fun to be able to give some of our time to Give Kids the World, that place couldn't run without volunteers :)

It seems like only a week or two since we last spoke.

;)

Haha, I'm excited I finally got to meet you!

No worries! I get "busy". The TRs will be there when you can find the time. :)

I decided to take a few minutes to do some disboarding in between loads of laundry...

Me too! I'm all done!

What'd you get?!

ooooohhhh….

Don't get too excited, it won't be that exciting haha.

:rotfl2: How did you know?

Oh! I didn't even think of that.

Yeah, we had some important, valuable things we had to protect in our hotel room - wedding bands, marriage license, my wedding dress...

I walked around it when I stayed there. They have lots to see. I enjoyed it. :)

I enjoyed it too! I would definitely be up for staying there again.

Very few, just Christmas Day, NYE, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving... Easter I think? Maybe Mother's Day as well? There's under 10 black-out days each year, and naturally two of them were during our trip...

There is? I mean... I know you have to leave about 43 hours early for the airport, but...

Things like needing to pick up our Magicbands at the hotel since they won't ship Internationally, etc.

Another shift! Wow! :worship:

It's a great place, we loved giving some of our time!

:banana: Super excited to meet you and all the others!

I'm really looking forward to it!

Not a great price, but we just didn't have time to wait for anything to be cooked. They were at least fairly fresh, and they held us over until we ate again.

I didn't know this either!! EEK!!! Goes to check May trip for any....

You'll be fine for our May trip! There's less than 10 blackout days per year with it, I can't remember them all off right now, but I know it's Christmas Day, NYE, New Year's Day...July 4th? And a few other major holidays.

This post will be a short one, but I think this will work better for me at moving this trip report along quicker :)

January 1, 2018 - Part Two

Our Uber arrived, and off we went once again to Give Kids the World! Today we had opted to do a different task, and had signed up for Food Delivery (I think it had a different, cute name, but I don’t remember what it was now). We were early this day, and knew where we were going - hurray for us! We checked in for our 11am-2:30pm shift, and were directed on where to go. Once we arrived, we were given a run-down on what to do. This was a little more extensive than yesterday’s instructions (scoop ice cream, wash your hands, wear a hair net, keep the place/scoops/blenders clean, don’t eat the food, etc). Today we were stationed in a little room by the main dining hall, with some telephones and computer screens. The families staying at the Village are allotted a certain amount of dining credits for their week (much like the Disney dining plan), and they are allowed to use these credits for delivery (basically like room service). They would call, Luke or I would answer the phone, ask for their room number and their order, and everything would get punched into the computer. The order would print out on a receipt in the main kitchen, where the volunteers working there would prepare it. The receipt would also print in the room Luke and I were in, and it was our responsibility to gather the drinks requested (cans of pop, bottles of water, milk, juice, etc). Once the order was ready, someone from the kitchen would bring it over to us, and one of us had to go deliver it. Before starting our shift, a manager had made us do a short little training course to prove we knew how to drive a golf cart, and then provided us with site maps so we knew where to go.

We started our shift just as the lunch rush started, so it was actually steadily busy. I really didn't love this volunteer shift, I hate talking on the phone and every time I drive a golf cart I feel like I'm going to flip it (I know, I'm weird). Luke used to work at a golf course, so he was much more comfortable driving the cart, so I let him take most of the deliveries. I didn't complain though, my dislike for talking on the phone is such a negligible issue compared to what these families were going through, so I sucked it up, and pushed through my anxiety and answered every phone call that came in. I did enjoy seeing some of the painted fire hydrants around the village though, they are so adorable!​

E576B7A1-41F5-44A3-9786-FF345DD8DCAC-e1541114026474-225x300.jpeg

43AC9A74-299E-4728-A4E6-758F3C41776F-e1541114069201-225x300.jpeg

CD7EC2C7-080E-4C8B-84F2-6BC6F3EB58C0-e1541114096161-225x300.jpeg

At 2:30, our shift was over and we were relieved by the next set of volunteers. We took our time walking back to the main building, taking some pictures of the village as we walked (since it was dark out when we left the night before).​

2F88F85D-A914-43C4-B575-4E9343CD785E-300x225.jpeg

0626C27F-8333-4A5D-98FA-C2B76A52EC81-300x225.jpeg

Haha, I'm excited I finally got to meet you!

You're excited now? Now that it's over?
You're a smart lady.

I decided to take a few minutes to do some disboarding in between loads of laundry...

::yes:: Best time for it. :)

What'd you get?!

Nothing special really, but it's places that Elle wanted to try.
Hmmm... Hardest to get that we got are BOG, Teppan Edo, Beaches & Cream. Also booked MK fireworks dessert party.

Don't get too excited, it won't be that exciting haha.

Rats!

:rotfl2: How did you know?

:laughing:

Yeah, we had some important, valuable things we had to protect in our hotel room - wedding bands, marriage license, my wedding dress...

Oh right! How worried were you about your dress? I can't imagine what could happen to it other than flat out being stolen... which I wouldn't expect. Too easy to find the culprit.

Very few, just Christmas Day, NYE, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving... Easter I think? Maybe Mother's Day as well? There's under 10 black-out days each year, and naturally two of them were during our trip...

Not bad, then.

Things like needing to pick up our Magicbands at the hotel since they won't ship Internationally, etc.

Yeah. Wish they could ship those. Elle and I will also have to go to Guest Relations for our tickets... with our passports since we got the Canadian resident deal on them.
Stupid, but... whatever.

It's a great place, we loved giving some of our time!

:goodvibes

This post will be a short one, but I think this will work better for me at moving this trip report along quicker :)

Annnnnnnnnnndddddddd.... GO!!!!

Today we had opted to do a different task, and had signed up for Food Delivery

Interesting. I guess for some reason, I didn't think that you'd be doing something different. Do you pick what you want or is it "You're here? Do this."

don’t eat the food

:( Well, that takes the fun out of that!

they are allowed to use these credits for delivery (basically like room service).

Nice. Glad they can do that. Suspect going out isn't always easy.

They would call, Luke or I would answer the phone, ask for their room number and their order, and everything would get punched into the computer.

Little surprised that the room number didn't appear on a screen or something.

Once the order was ready, someone from the kitchen would bring it over to us, and one of us had to go deliver it.

Hence the "Food Delivery" part.

Before starting our shift, a manager had made us do a short little training course to prove we knew how to drive a golf cart, and then provided us with site maps so we knew where to go.

So.... I've never driven one. I've only golfed a few times... maybe three times? (on a full course. Several times on smaller 9 hole courses.)
Is driving it the same as a car? two pedals, one for go one for stop?

I remember being on a riding mower, it was the opposite of what you'd expect. To stop you pushed the pedal to the floor... but when you let up on that pedal, the thing would go! I drove in to a few bushes and one tree that day.

I hate talking on the phone and every time I drive a golf cart I feel like I'm going to flip it

Not everyone likes talking on the phone... I've seen lots who don't (at work.) And... I've seen videos of people flipping those things, so...

(I know, I'm weird

Nah. I've met you. You're adorable.

Luke used to work at a golf course, so he was much more comfortable driving the cart

Makes sense. :)

I didn't complain though, my dislike for talking on the phone is such a negligible issue compared to what these families were going through, so I sucked it up

Yeah... was kinda thinking the same thing. No matter how nervous/awkward/whatever I'd feel or be... it's nothing compared to what they're going through.

I did enjoy seeing some of the painted fire hydrants around the village though, they are so adorable!

:) Like those.

I think it's incredibly selfless of you both to spend time on your own vacation to provide for others. You're the best!!

Love that little Harry Potter fire hydrant!!!

We started our shift just as the lunch rush started, so it was actually steadily busy. I really didn't love this volunteer shift, I hate talking on the phone and every time I drive a golf cart I feel like I'm going to flip it (I know, I'm weird).

I totally get this!! I'm fine with golf carts—we used to drive them regularly when I worked at a large campground—but I find talking on the phone really stressful! I almost never answer the phone in my regular life if I can't guess who's on the other end, or if I don't think I'll be comfortable talking to them, unless it's super important. Otherwise, they can use voicemail, and then I can take time to process my response. I also usually make Nathan call when we order take-out. :laughing:

I didn't complain though, my dislike for talking on the phone is such a negligible issue compared to what these families were going through, so I sucked it up, and pushed through my anxiety and answered every phone call that came in.

Good mindset! It's great that you guys did this! It looks like we might get back to Orlando in the summer, and if so, I might have a few days there on my own before Nathan can arrive. If so, this might be a good time for me to try to squeeze in a volunteer shift or two!

OMG :lovestruc

Following along! What a great way to celebrate NYE and NY by volunteering. :) Excited to read more (but no pressure--real life is more important :D)

I just did my volunteer spot on Monday night. I was assigned Nancy’s kitchen and ended up bussing tables. It wasn’t a glamorous job but a needed one. I am going to sign up earlier next time so I have more options. Not complaining about what I did would just like a different experience next time. Thanks for the push you gave me .

Glad you were able to power through the phone calls.

The bed itself was decent, and it was really nice to have plug-ins on either side to charge our phones at night.

I LOVE when hotels have this. The older hotels don't and I had to shove my mattress out of the way a bit at Saratoga Springs, LOL.

Aww you guys are so inspirational! That is very noble of you!!

I did enjoy seeing some of the painted fire hydrants around the village though, they are so adorable!
E576B7A1-41F5-44A3-9786-FF345DD8DCAC-e1541114026474-225x300.jpeg

43AC9A74-299E-4728-A4E6-758F3C41776F-e1541114069201-225x300.jpeg

CD7EC2C7-080E-4C8B-84F2-6BC6F3EB58C0-e1541114096161-225x300.jpeg

This are so cute!! I love this idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!