Sometimes in the parenting dept, I wonder

This post comes off as really mean and, in my head, I could see you writing this list almost with glee because you have such a strong case against her. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so.

I feel sorry for the kid and I hope she will get the help she needs.

I know Dr. Phil is a hack but one episode has stayed in my head. He was talking to a boy who exhibited behaviours much like you’re describing. Dr. Phil said, from talking to the boy, that it was like he had 20 different tv stations playing in his head at the same time and he was trying to listen to just one. His head was too scrambled. The child was put in therapy and may have been given medication as well, but the change was night and day.

My kids are caucasian and hispanic...they used to tell yo mama jokes all the time when they were younger. Oops!

Soooo. What race is supposed to tell yo mama jokes?

I didn’t realize they were something “owned” by one race?

My kids are Caucasian. Yds’s best friend through school is African American. They told them to each other.

Why are you around this kid? I certainly would do whatever I could to avoid that. I'm not sure what a yo mamma joke is. I guess my 18 year old skipped that phase. I have to say I have little tolerance for kids who misbehave.

Why are you around this kid? I certainly would do whatever I could to avoid that. I'm not sure what a yo mamma joke is. I guess my 18 year old skipped that phase. I have to say I have little tolerance for kids who misbehave.

Even if it’s a medical issue? Certainly you can’t blame anyone for that..

Yo’ mama is so dumb, it took her a whole day to make minute rice..an example.

I'm not a medical person or teacher, but this reminds me of a similar 'sudden behavior change' story and it turned out the child had some sort of physical issue going on like a brain tumor or something similar. Anytime there is a sudden change, I would suspect a thorough physical is in order.

I'm not a medical person or teacher, but this reminds me of a similar 'sudden behavior change' story and it turned out the child had some sort of physical issue going on like a brain tumor or something similar. Anytime there is a sudden change, I would suspect a thorough physical is in order.

This child definitely needs medical intervention, not judgement.

You say the kid has ADHD behaviors, but you are wondering...what? About home life? Everything you described sounds a whole lot like severe, untreated ADHD. My daughter has ADHD and though I try to teach her right from wrong, she lacks impulse control. My understanding of that is by the time her brain tells her that she shouldn't do something, she's already done it and is on to the next thing. I feel like I spent most of her young childhood running around after her trying to prevent her from maiming or killing herself. That aspect of ADHD has gotten a little bit better as she has gotten older, but now at 7 the social deficits are becoming more of a problem. Does this make me a bad parent? Because my kid has a cognitive disorder that makes her behave outside of the norm? Yes, there are some crappy parents out there but I feel the majority are just doing the best that they can. Maybe try offering some help, or at least try not to be so judgmental; I think this world would be a better place if we spent more time building each other up.

A couple of things:

DC is an extended family member who we don’t see all the time due to living far away from DC’s immediate family.
This stuff has been going on for a long time.
When DC was younger, she’d rock left to right on her feet when she got excited, upset or overstimulated.
DC’s first reaction to conversation is to not look at you when you talk to her.
Parents got her hearing checked when she was in preschool because she would tune them out so well that they would be sitting down at her level, yelling at her to look at them and listen to them and she would not respond.
DC’s mom has commented that DC never wants to play with toys like other kid traditionally do. DC lines them up and organizes them on shelves in her room. Does not actually play with them though.

I’m not going to explain what a Yo Mama joke is. You guys can look it up online. In our neck of the woods and in DC’s neck of the woods, telling such jokes at school could get you in serious trouble with a teacher or get your butt kicked on the playground.

DC is a bright kid. Often teacher’s pet at school. Brings home good grades. Struggles a little in reading, but every kid has his or her strong suits.

DC’s passion is with animals and dinosaurs. Can look at a picture of a dinosaur and tell you it’s name, Latin name, what period it’s from, and what it eats. Relates most things back to animals and dinosaurs.

My family cares about DC very much. Her dad said flat out “my kid is weird.” Both parents seem defensive and make excuses for DC’s problematic behaviors, including blaming it on other children at school. Because the parents are defensive and insistent that their child is normal and just fine, we say nothing. We also keep our mouths shut since we don’t see them very often so I don’t think it’s fair to make conclusions on them when we see them once a year.

When DC was 3-4, a teacher and the kid’s dr recommended speech therapy and occupational therapy. The parents took her to a couple of appointments and then stopped, saying, “There’s nothing wrong with her. She’s just a little different than other kids.”

The parents have said that DC seems to do best when one-on-one with other children. Has regular sleep overs at her house with her male friends from school but then when they are all at school, same kids tease and bully her. DC’s father blames it on “pack animal mentality” once those same kids get to school. But given the extremely over the top freak out melt down reactions we have seen from DC, I wonder if that’s really all to it.

A year ago, went to a table service restaurant. DC got mad over where her sibling was sitting and had a screaming yelling melt down on the floor of the restaurant. The dad took her outside and spent almost the whole meal out there with her because she kept melting down. The parents rarely go out to eat as a family because of such melt downs (they have commented on it) and when they do, it’s to places with outdoor seating or places that have a lot of background noise.

DC is a very loving child. But can go from fine to melt down angry in 2 sec flat and you never can really predict what it will be over. DC has a sibling 3 yr younger and the sibling has more emotional self control than DC does. On the other hand, again, we don’t seem them that often so perhaps we are looking at things from a skewed point of view.

There’s no way DH or I would ever say something to the parents about our concerns because the parents are quite defensive and we don’t want to upset them. I’m just trying to better understand how this kid ticks so that I can figure out some more effective methods of interacting with the child when she melts down.

I suspect that the parents know exactly how their kid is but are unwilling to consider anything other than “she’s fine.” The dad has stated before multiple times about how he tells off the school teachers and administrators. He has stated that he thinks that all of DC’s problems are caused by them.

I suspect that the mom knows exactly what the deal is but the mom’s go to coping mechanism with everything in her life is to go into denial, pretend it doesn’t exist, and hope it goes away. So for 8 yr now, they’ve been saying that this is all just a phase and “maybe she’ll grow out of it.” That hasn’t happened yet...the growing out of it.

I feel really bad for the kid because she desperately wants to connect with other kids but the dad said that she’s “too intense and doesn’t know when to stop and it puts kids off and then they make fun of her and call her freak and weirdo.” It’s really really heart breaking. But then in the next breath, the dad blames it all on the other kids or on the school. This has been going on since DC was in preschool.

I also always thought it unusual that the mom bragged and commented when DC was younger about how even DC was an infant, pretty much right away after bringing her home from the hospital, DC would “sleep through the night” and not make a peep for 8-12 hr. The mom said that DC would often lie awake in her crib not making a sound. The kid hardly ever cried when hungry or when she had a diaper that needed changing.

I think that the parents aren’t willing to admit that DC needs some sort of help.

I think that the parents aren’t willing to admit that DC needs some sort of help.

and that, right there, is where you state that while you will be supportive to their struggle, you will not enable it. So until they are actually ready to actually address their child's needs, you cannot step in. They will naturally push back at you NO MATTER WHAT, with the mentality they currently have. It's almost like an addiction because they have self-soothed themselves as parents into this mental safe space of, "she is who she is", and the daughter MOST certainly has self-soothed herself into these behaviors becoming normalized.

So you have to step back and protect your family (if she gets aggressive with your kids, pets etc.) but unfortunately you have to pretty much shut up and ignore her if you are obligated to socialize with the family. :( UGH how awful.

You say the kid has ADHD behaviors, but you are wondering...what? About home life? Everything you described sounds a whole lot like severe, untreated ADHD. My daughter has ADHD and though I try to teach her right from wrong, she lacks impulse control. My understanding of that is by the time her brain tells her that she shouldn't do something, she's already done it and is on to the next thing. I feel like I spent most of her young childhood running around after her trying to prevent her from maiming or killing herself. That aspect of ADHD has gotten a little bit better as she has gotten older, but now at 7 the social deficits are becoming more of a problem. Does this make me a bad parent? Because my kid has a cognitive disorder that makes her behave outside of the norm? Yes, there are some crappy parents out there but I feel the majority are just doing the best that they can. Maybe try offering some help, or at least try not to be so judgmental; I think this world would be a better place if we spent more time building each other up.

::yes::

dh and i spent (and to some extent still do) so many years being negatively judged and criticized by others for our ds's behaviors/habits. the same people didn't know that for years we had been trying to figure out what was going on with ds-audiologists, allergists, neurologists, psychiatrists.... we had 2 kids 2 1/2 years in age apart and parented them in the identical manner in the identical home-never a negative comment about our parenting of dd so i guess it never occurred to people that there might be something different about ds's 'wiring'.

it wasn't until ds was getting ready to enter high school and we decided to give neurological testing one last go at figuring things out that we got our answer-autism. it was never considered by any other professional before b/c son made eye contact and never had the verbal issues commonly associated, but when the 'powers that be' expanded the spectrum to include kids absent those traits ds hit every mark. so many things on the op's list we dealt with, dealt as in the past b/c with appropriate individual, family and group therapy ds learned to do what the majority of us just do naturally (or learn at a much younger age). 5 years of high school (we did a super senior year) w/tweaks in place to accommodate his cognitive challenges and not one single call from the school for a behavioral issue (we were consistently told how great his behaviors were, better in fact than many of his neuro-typical peers). he's in a college program designed for students on the spectrum (and other cognitive challenges) and is doing great.

people wonder why i'm not very social, those who knew me in my younger parenting days see it as a HUGE shift. it's challenging and difficult to raise any child let alone one with special needs, but being constantly judged and criticized when you're already in a spiral of self blame (b/c we all blame ourselves for our kid's problems no matter how many times the doctors tell us it's not our fault, there was nothing to prevent it, we were being appropriate all along) just kills a person's spirit and i finally got tired of it all.

judgmental people don't define me/my son-they define themselves.

I suspect that the parents know exactly how their kid is but are unwilling to consider anything other than “she’s fine.” The dad has stated before multiple times about how he tells off the school teachers and administrators. He has stated that he thinks that all of DC’s problems are caused by them.

I suspect that the mom knows exactly what the deal is but the mom’s go to coping mechanism with everything in her life is to go into denial, pretend it doesn’t exist, and hope it goes away. So for 8 yr now, they’ve been saying that this is all just a phase and “maybe she’ll grow out of it.” That hasn’t happened yet...the growing out of it.

I feel really bad for the kid because she desperately wants to connect with other kids but the dad said that she’s “too intense and doesn’t know when to stop and it puts kids off and then they make fun of her and call her freak and weirdo.” It’s really really heart breaking. But then in the next breath, the dad blames it all on the other kids or on the school. This has been going on since DC was in preschool.

I also always thought it unusual that the mom bragged and commented when DC was younger about how even DC was an infant, pretty much right away after bringing her home from the hospital, DC would “sleep through the night” and not make a peep for 8-12 hr. The mom said that DC would often lie awake in her crib not making a sound. The kid hardly ever cried when hungry or when she had a diaper that needed changing.

Can you say that you honestly know if the parents have sought medical treatment or diagnosis? Or that the child isn't currently undergoing some sort of treatment for a behavioral or medical issue?

I am not an expert, but the behavior you noted is simply not normal and totally off. I think you should for this child's benefit risk butting in where one might say it's not your biz.. But IMO many child abuse cases ( not implying this is, just an example) , or lack of care due to denial or lack of knowledge would be avoided if people butted in. Maybe there is another family member who has more influence on the parents and can convince them to get this child tested and most likely the help she needs.

could also be the parents are simply not informed and do not realize solutions are available to help an obvious problem. I would hope the school has already made some suggetions.

It's none of your business. And frankly seeing a distant relative 3 days over the past couple of weeks and being so judgmental says a whole lot more about you than it does about them.

You have no idea if this child is getting treatment. A lot of people choose to limit meds for ADHD kids when they are not in school.

Can you say that you honestly know if the parents have sought medical treatment or diagnosis? Or that the child isn't currently undergoing some sort of treatment for a behavioral or medical issue?

Yes, I can. DC's parents have stated that DC's teachers from preschool on up have recommended they seek medical advice. DC's parents have emphatically stated more than once "our DD is just fine. There's nothing wrong with her. We're not taking her to any stupid doctor. It's just a phase. She'll grow out of it."

Yes, I can. DC's parents have stated that DC's teachers from preschool on up have recommended they seek medical advice. DC's parents have emphatically stated more than once "our DD is just fine. There's nothing wrong with her. We're not taking her to any stupid doctor. It's just a phase. She'll grow out of it."
Unless you're having ongoing discussions with the parents about the subject you still don't know. And perhaps they won't share the information if they do change their minds.

What I'm personally trying to also figure out is if there are techniques I can use or things DH & I can do differently when we're around DC in order to make things easier for her. Especially when she melts down. There are times when DC's parents are not around when the melt down occurs. I have observed DC's parents squat down & get down on her level & they try to reason with her, explaining things to her like a lot of people would do. But that almost sets DC off even more and she goes off the deep end melting down emotionally. It can sometimes take her 30 min to an hour to calm down from it.

If anyone has some constructive ideas then I'm all ears! I very much want to respect DC's parents & their right to raise their child as they see fit.

What I'm personally trying to also figure out is if there are techniques I can use or things DH & I can do differently when we're around DC in order to make things easier for her. Especially when she melts down. There are times when DC's parents are not around when the melt down occurs. I have observed DC's parents squat down & get down on her level & they try to reason with her, explaining things to her like a lot of people would do. But that almost sets DC off even more and she goes off the deep end melting down emotionally. It can sometimes take her 30 min to an hour to calm down from it.

If anyone has some constructive ideas then I'm all ears! I very much want to respect DC's parents & their right to raise their child as they see fit.

if it's a physical tantrum (throwing self on floor, running around...) take action to keep the child from injuring themselves or others by moving sharp objects from the location of the tantrum.

ds never had the huge meltdowns some kids have but with his ones we had to let them run their course (kind of like when a champagne bottle's cork expells and everything spills out) while ensuring his/our safety, it wasn't until he was taught techniques by his therapists on how to deescalate himself that us talking him through one helped.

Firstly, I’m majorly bummed to find out I can’t tell yo mama jokes anymore. :sad1:

Secondly, I find the best way to deal with the holy terror types is to A) adjust your expectations accordingly, or B) steer clear of them. The parents are well aware of their child’s behavior and it’s up to them to handle it or seek out the resources to help them handle it. :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter