South Africa 2017 - Final Thoughts

Just be sure to stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel.. and they book up early. I think I got the last room. I forget if I posted FB pics on that... Such as great hotel. More on that later.

We actually stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel when we were there in 2001, and we loved it, so definitely where I want to stay if we go back!

Another great report! It looks like this day has changed a bit since we took the trip in December 2015. We had time at the first place to do a wine tasting on our own after the birds, and then after lunch instead of shopping in town (which sounds great), we did a cooking activity making the national pastry of South Africa. It required that we switch from the bus to two separate vans to get to the cooking school which was up a rather steep and badly paved road, so that may be why they dropped it.

I thought that was ironic the bird were there at the winery and we walked right by the winery, but didn't go in. Who knows? Maybe it wasn't open.

The pastry cooking was still listed on the official itinerary, but I'm glad we shopped instead.

We actually stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel when we were there in 2001, and we loved it, so definitely where I want to stay if we go back!

Oh that's right. You mentioned that on FB. Such a cool place. I actually bought a book on the history of the VF Hotel at the gift shop. Very cool to see early photos and photos of people lounging around in the 60's.

Gavin's cosmopolitan attitude is so cool! As is his adventurous palate! :)

I'm really not trying to be the spelling nazi here, but do you mean you bought Kate a taupe shawl? I'm trying to imagine what else a tope shaw would be... :)

Those elephant hair bracelets sound very interesting...

Sayhello.

Gavin's cosmopolitan attitude is so cool! As is his adventurous palate! :)

I'm really not trying to be the spelling nazi here, but do you mean you bought Kate a taupe shawl? I'm trying to imagine what else a tope shaw would be... :)

Those elephant hair bracelets sound very interesting...

Sayhello.

Thanks you! I need all the help I can get. :D Yes, taupe. Kate will get a nice giggle when she gets a chance to read this tonight.

Gavin's palate is most definitely hit or miss. One day he'll eat a bowl of mussels. The next day he won't touch his chicken fingers.

That is a shame to go to a winery and not have a proper wine tasting or tour. It looks like the itinerary has changed to include more OYO time in Stellenbosch including dinner, so that would allow for more exploring. Gavin really seems to be an amazing travel companion even since he was little.

Everyone has been having a good time. What none of us on the trip realize yet is this ABD is about to take off in an incredible way.

ABD’s often get better and more impressive as the days go on. For South Africa, it’s about to get exponentially more impressive and go from a good trip, to an amazing trip, to a life changing trip. As I move into the next few days of the ABD, I think it’s worth it to spell out my feelings on the trip as a whole ahead of time. By the end of the SA ABD, I felt that this was THE best trip ABD has to offer. Furthermore, I frankly think it’s the best trip or experience Disney as a whole offers - including DCL, Aulani, and the Parks & Resorts around the world. I truly think this is Disney at it’s finest. And I’ll see what I can do over the next few entries to explain why I feel this way.

Just catching up now that I'm back, but this gives me pause. I'm super curious to read your thoughts. The trip looks wonderful so far, pictures are awesome, plus i just love penguins and owls! Looking forward to the next installments. Thanks for sharing.

I hope they add a wine tasting to the tour at some point. And too funny--I'm not a bird fan either although I don't mind watching falcon shows.

I was reading this trip report when sitting next to my mother who happened to look over at the pictures of the winery and said "I've stayed there!" Apparently when she did her tour with Vantage a couple years ago, they stayed at the winery for a few days. Really enjoying the trip report and can't wait to hear your thoughts about what has set this tour so far above in your mind. [My mom really enjoyed her trip that went to pretty much all the same places ABD did and more--I think hers was almost twice as long--but it was marred when she was robbed after an evening performance in one of the big cities. I can't remember which.]

I hope they add a wine tasting to the tour at some point. And too funny--I'm not a bird fan either although I don't mind watching falcon shows.

I was reading this trip report when sitting next to my mother who happened to look over at the pictures of the winery and said "I've stayed there!" Apparently when she did her tour with Vantage a couple years ago, they stayed at the winery for a few days. Really enjoying the trip report and can't wait to hear your thoughts about what has set this tour so far above in your mind. [My mom really enjoyed her trip that went to pretty much all the same places ABD did and more--I think hers was almost twice as long--but it was marred when she was robbed after an evening performance in one of the big cities. I can't remember which.]
:eek: Oh, no!! Your poor mom!!! That must have been awful!

Sayhello

:eek: Oh, no!! Your poor mom!!! That must have been awful!

Sayhello
Yes, very. They came up to her in middle of day in Cape Town (I just asked her) right by one of the nicest hotel during some kind of jazz festival and ripped her necklace off her neck. Tore her shirt and scratched her neck :( She (stupidly) ran after them! The police gave her a bad time for that. She learned that she had the fight (not flight) instinct, LOL.

That is a shame to go to a winery and not have a proper wine tasting or tour. It looks like the itinerary has changed to include more OYO time in Stellenbosch including dinner, so that would allow for more exploring. Gavin really seems to be an amazing travel companion even since he was little.

Thanks. Gavin's always been a fun travel buddy. I do wish they would have had a proper wine tasting. They had a tasting in Tasmania on our Australia ABD and it seemed very well received by all the guests. It was still a beautiful day and a magnificent lunch. We certainly were able to try their two main wines during the lunch, but it would have been cool to hear the winemakers thoughts on wine.

Just catching up now that I'm back, but this gives me pause. I'm super curious to read your thoughts. The trip looks wonderful so far, pictures are awesome, plus i just love penguins and owls! Looking forward to the next installments. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

That must have been lovely to stay at the winery. I think if I were to have added 2 more nights in Cape Town, that time would be ideally spent in Stellenbosch. That's awful to hear about her being robbed. I was on the fence of whether to go out into Johannesburg during one of our nights, but ultimately decided against it partly due to not feeling 100% safe in that city. I didn't have that feeling anywhere else, but I did in Jo'burg.

And here's a pic of that elephant hair bracelet:
36455815960_1da12b2f25_c.jpg

Yes, very. They came up to her in middle of day in Cape Town (I just asked her) right by one of the nicest hotel during some kind of jazz festival and ripped her necklace off her neck. Tore her shirt and scratched her neck :( She (stupidly) ran after them! The police gave her a bad time for that. She learned that she had the fight (not flight) instinct, LOL.
Yikes!! How frightening!! I hope it hasn't affected her love of travel!

I had my purse snatched once (*not* while traveling - it was a couple of blocks from my home) and I ran after the guy yelling "Stop! Stop!" So I understand where the instinct comes from...

Sayhello

Day 5 Knysna

Today we head to Knysna. It’s in the Garden District of S. Africa and is famous for lush landscape. The sad news is they recently suffered a devastating fire. Most of the itinerary in Knysna remained unchanged for the first day. We did see some changes the next day.

36853877915_388d63fb6e_c.jpg

36853881175_00ecd7d1cb_c.jpg

We woke up early (earlier than breakfast is served) but they provided a boxed breakfast, along with coffee and pastries. We boarded the coach to head to the airport. Apparently you used to take a very long bus ride to Knysna… maybe 5+ hrs? But now it’s less than an hour flight. Our bags were actually sent ahead via bus. The airport and flight to George was pretty easy. From the City of George it was still a drive to Knysna. Along the way, we saw the beautiful coastline of the Indian Ocean.

36853888955_f987e5d326_c.jpg

From the airport we drove straight to Birds of Eden. This is a very large bird sanctuary. It was completely different from the bird rehab center of yesterday. Not to take anything away from yesterday's experience, but this blew it away. It’s a massive multi-level enclosure with walkways to explore and tropical, colorful birds everywhere.

36715729061_0b44b61ff3_c.jpg

36715817041_6151208d65_c.jpg

36020664774_4335779027_c.jpg

36855217345_77c2bd99a7_c.jpg

36458894970_a084de4e40_c.jpg

After Eden, we headed over to a winery for lunch. Along the way, we found a Congress of Baboons.

36458961580_7899a57032_c.jpg

36684366312_d33ccd65e2_c.jpg

36458978940_71d6e4bb4b_c.jpg

36684400182_99fb6750a8_c.jpg

The winery was awesome. We had a lovely lunch on their back porch overlooking the vineyards. They seem to specialize in sparkling wines. They have a Blanc de blanc (all Chardonnay) and a sparkling Sauvingon Blanc which is rarely used in sparkling wines. They were both pretty good. They had some other wines as well. A few guests and I asked one of the winemakers if we could have an impromptu wine tasting. So, while it wasn’t organized by ABD, we did ask the winery and they were happy to oblige. We also purchased several bottles to bring home.

36459198100_524cb259dc_c.jpg

36459200910_5e3b20c918_c.jpg

After lunch the winemaker took us on a tour of the winery and showed us where they press the grapes and the fermentation area. It was really cool. I would have liked to do this and had a tasting in Stellenbosch, but at least we got to do it here.

36046813683_35a34530ca_c.jpg

36716228011_779f72a521_c.jpg

After lunch, we headed over to Monkeyland! It’s an extremely expansive sanctuary for monkeys. They were beautiful and would walk, climb, jump, and swing right around you. It was very cool. The monkeys were spectacular and there were so many of them.

36020918064_f28e7edea9_c.jpg

36020939504_3426bd29a8_c.jpg

36684476252_c6977056ba_c.jpg

36459084900_6b9ffd75d2_c.jpg

36459112220_4a18981e43_c.jpg

36716119871_1093b4e409_c.jpg

From there we went to the Conrad Hotel. Amazing hotel overlooking the Indian Ocean. The rooms are in bungalows scattered about the property. And the rooms were huge. You could request at the front desk for a fire to be started for you in the fireplace; which we did one night.

36021135194_1320f00238_c.jpg

36459177890_2809568523_c.jpg

36021062934_64376055d7_c.jpg

36686732352_c258bae0cf_c.jpg

Dinner was on our own, but most of us ate at the hotel restaurant which was very good. I had a lamb burger, and we all sat around and split a few bottles of wine. The Jr adventurers headed to one of the rooms to watch The Force Awakens. Lovely finish to a great day.

36855631375_226cf0cd22_c.jpg

36459250630_db28c25816_c.jpg

36684669722_d2627d7651_c.jpg

Last edited:
That must have been lovely to stay at the winery. I think if I were to have added 2 more nights in Cape Town, that time would be ideally spent in Stellenbosch. That's awful to hear about her being robbed. I was on the fence of whether to go out into Johannesburg during one of our nights, but ultimately decided against it partly due to not feeling 100% safe in that city. I didn't have that feeling anywhere else, but I did in Jo'burg.

And here's a pic of that elephant hair bracelet:
36455815960_1da12b2f25_c.jpg

Love the bracelet!!!

Funny you mention J'burg. When I was asking her about the trip, she said that was the one city they were told NOT to go out in alone at all. She's a world traveler--literally been all over--and that's the only time she's been told that.

Yikes!! How frightening!! I hope it hasn't affected her love of travel!

I had my purse snatched once (*not* while traveling - it was a couple of blocks from my home) and I ran after the guy yelling "Stop! Stop!" So I understand where the instinct comes from...

Sayhello

I did the same thing after a fender-bender hit and run--I chased after in my car. The things you find out about yourself! Sorry to hear about your purse snatch. I'm sure that was very scary after when it hits you, too.

I think it make her more cautious, and she was very upset after it happened and the "fight" instinct cooled. But it hasn't slowed her travel down any. I guess I know where I get it :)

Loving the report and all the pictures, CO! But I'm not sure about all those birds :)

Very happy to hear that you and your family were spared from the hurricane's flooding.

From your pictures, Monkeyland looks like so much fun. Were you very close to the monkeys (and lemurs and apes)? Or do you just have a really good camera.

My son was happy to see more baboon photos. (He was very flattered when I told him that you posted them just for him. Then he demanded more because he is 4 and his view that he is the center of the universe was reinforced).

It was a beautiful setting out at the winery. However, it was a little odd that there wasn’t any more focus on the wine itself. There was no tour of the winery or discussion with the wine maker. There was no set wine tasting per se, but wine was available for lunch and you could try both if you wanted. We actually go to another winery tomorrow where we do dive a bit deeper into the wine making and tasting. However, I would have preferred to do some of that in Stellenbosch - it’s such a famous wine making region. One of the great things about this trip is that there’s a lot of great wine to be had. Even when we were having dinner on our own, the wine prices and options were amazing.

If it makes you feel any better, I will say that when we were in SA we did a day in Stellenbosch as well. Since we were traveling with my in-laws the wine tasting was high on their list. At the time my kids were 7 and 8. The meal at the winery was really good, but the kids found the wine tasting part really (really) boring and complained. I remember buying them some gummi bears from the gift shop to give them something to do while we were tasting. The town was so pretty, but the kids also didn't really seem to appreciate looking around (in a country with penguins, sea lions, and all kinds of safari animals I think their expectations of the trip were pretty high ;) ) We balanced out the day with a stop at the Cape Town Osterich Farm and the kids had much more fun there.

Very happy to hear that you and your family were spared from the hurricane's flooding.

From your pictures, Monkeyland looks like so much fun. Were you very close to the monkeys (and lemurs and apes)? Or do you just have a really good camera.

My son was happy to see more baboon photos. (He was very flattered when I told him that you posted them just for him. Then he demanded more because he is 4 and his view that he is the center of the universe was reinforced).

We were extremely close to the monkeys. There was a moment were several dozen little bitty monkeys were swinging all around us heading all in one direction to their lunch. It was very cool. I'm glad he enjoyed the baboon photos! There will be lots more photos of lots of animals ahead.

If it makes you feel any better, I will say that when we were in SA we did a day in Stellenbosch as well. Since we were traveling with my in-laws the wine tasting was high on their list. At the time my kids were 7 and 8. The meal at the winery was really good, but the kids found the wine tasting part really (really) boring and complained. I remember buying them some gummi bears from the gift shop to give them something to do while we were tasting. The town was so pretty, but the kids also didn't really seem to appreciate looking around (in a country with penguins, sea lions, and all kinds of safari animals I think their expectations of the trip were pretty high ;) ) We balanced out the day with a stop at the Cape Town Osterich Farm and the kids had much more fun there.

Yeah, I'm sure Stellenbosch could get pretty dry, pretty quick for kids. The guides did a great job keeping everyone engaged. I'm so glad ABD decides to spend some time in Stellenbosch and Knysna. They're just gorgeous places that really add another dimension to South Africa. So glad we saw it!

Wow! The Conrad hotel looks gorgeous! And monkeyland looks so fun! I love the monkey using the rope bridge!

Looking forward to more report!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter