South Africa/Capetown Water Shortage

The situation with the water shortage in and around Cape Town is indeed concerning.

I e-mailed our TA about the shortage (we are going to KwaZulu Natal, Sabi Sands, JoBurg and Botawana in June) and I was assured that the shortage is just around Cape Town. However I have read that the shortage is spreading further, towards JoBurg and Pretoria. So I am not sure if / how we will be affected.

My hope is that that the winter rains will start before the June ABD departures and the trips won't be affected. I am sure that ABD must be re-thinking the Cape Town portion of the 2018 itineraries. From what I have read I personally wouldn't want to visit with the restrictions in place (2 minute showers, no washing hands in public restrooms {bottles of sanitizer are on the counters}, no flushing, etc. -- I just wouldn't want to do it). But I understand that for most the current water restrictions aren't a big deal at all.

I will say that if any company can pull off an amazing trip within the current restrictions, it's ABD! And having been to Cape Town, I can say that it is extremely beautiful and well worth visiting.

I just returned from 10 days in JoBurg and there were no water restrictions, despite what I had read prior to traveling there. Don't know if that helps in your planning, but wanted to put it out there. :-)

I just returned from 10 days in JoBurg and there were no water restrictions, despite what I had read prior to traveling there. Don't know if that helps in your planning, but wanted to put it out there. :-)
how dangerous was it? and where did you stay like what hotel?

how dangerous was it? and where did you stay like what hotel?
We stayed at the African Pride hotel at Melrose Arch. I think it's now a Marriott. It was very beautiful, comfortable and in a safe, gated and guarded location. It had lots of shopping and restaurants around it that you can walk to without issues. I'd highly recommend it. That being said, it can be a very dangerous place around Johannesburg. We did walk around very small areas outside of Melrose Arch as a group, but there were also places we had to walk around with a guard. And we never took taxis or Uber. We used a vetted driving service that one of the gals has used for the past 10 years. I will say that the people we encountered were always very gracious and kind to us. It really is a beautiful country in many ways and I'd definitely go back. Like anywhere nowadays, you just have to be wise about decisions.

Stumbled across this thread, and as a Cape Town resident, I thought I'd give an update of the water situation here, for anyone who might have a trip planned, or is considering a trip...
Water restrictions are still in place. However, we've seen a bit of rain this month, so it's looking like we might have a wetter winter than last year. Fingers crossed!
But that said, it's either going to take rains of Biblical proportions, or a few years' worth before all water restrictions will be lifted.
The good news for you is that Day Zero will not happen this year. But also that even if the coming winter is dry again, the water restrictions, for now, are confined to the greater Cape Town area. An hour or 2 out of town and there are little to no restrictions. Also, Cape Town center (business and tourist area) was planned to be "immune" to water cuts.
So all in all... don't let the water situation put you off visiting.
We still have water to drink, and most industries have made lemonade from the situation, and become water wise (using grey water for toilets, installing rain collection tanks etc.)
It's a beautiful city, full of proud residents, happy to have you. ☺️

Stumbled across this thread, and as a Cape Town resident, I thought I'd give an update of the water situation here, for anyone who might have a trip planned, or is considering a trip...

Thank you so much for your post. Whether it's responsible to visit Cape Town during the water shortage is something that I've struggled with. I don't want to take water away from residents, but I also know that many people depend on tourism money for jobs. I hope you have a nice, wet rainy season this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter