Southern Carribean Excursions

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
Hi All - Looking for input(s) on must do/avoids on the following ports.
  • St. Croix
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • St. Georges, Grenada
  • Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis
We enjoy snorkeling and sightseeing. Also, we prefer local cuisine.

Thanks!

If you've got some time, take a look at the CC board. They have port-specific forums and they might give you an idea of what to look for.

Of your ports, I've done St. Maarten, and have only gone to the public beach so I'm of no use to you here. :(

On Barbados, we did a private tour with Calabaza Sailing and had a wonderful day. The crew was there to serve, and they did, they were great. I would highly recommend this company to anyone visiting Barbados. We did this excursion on two different cruises. www.calabazasailingcruises.com. or www.barbadossailingcruises.com

We did the airport beach (Maho Beach) on St. Maarten. We sat at the beach bar watching the planes come in and out of the airport. It was enjoyable but not one of my favorite excursions, glad we did it once since it's one of the things to do on St. Maarten.

Another visit to St. Maarten we visited Orient Beach for the day. It was a beautiful beach but can get crowded and the locals selling their things got annoying. Also we made sure we stayed to the left side of the beach since the right side of the beach is a nude beach and we had no interest in heading that direction.

On St. Lucia, we visited a beach that had great views of the Pitons. Can't remember the name of the beach. We took a private boat tour to the beach and stayed for the day. The beach had some great views and had some great snorkeling. The only complaint I probably would of headed back to the ship a couple hours earlier but we were depended on the boat to take us back. Once we got back we had to rush to get onboard since we were cutting it short.

We rented a car on St. Croix. This was the way to go for us, we enjoyed very much touring the island ourselves. It was a great time.

We stopped on St. Kitts but decided to stay on the ship and enjoy the pools.

Out of all these islands we loved the excursion on Barbados the most. It was a very nice relaxing sail as well as swimming with the turtles.
Have fun with whatever you decide, you're have a great time no matter what you do on the islands.

Last edited:
On Barbados, we did a private tour with Calabaza Sailing and had a wonderful day. The crew was there to serve, and they did, they were great. I would highly recommend this company to anyone visiting Barbados. We did this excursion on two different cruises. www.calabazasailingcruises.com. or www.barbadossailingcruises.com

We did the airport beach (Maho Beach) on St. Maarten. We sat at the beach bar watching the planes come in and out of the airport. It was enjoyable but not one of my favorite excursions, glad we did it once since it's one of the things to do on St. Maarten.

Another visit to St. Maarten we visited Orient Beach for the day. It was a beautiful beach but can get crowded and the locals selling their things got annoying. Also we made sure we stayed to the left side of the beach since the right side of the beach is a nude beach and we had no interest in heading that direction.

On St. Lucia, we visited a beach that had great views of the Pitons. Can't remember the name of the beach. We took a private boat tour to the beach and stayed for the day. The beach had some great views and had some great snorkeling. The only complaint I probably would of headed but to the ship a couple hours earlier but we were depended on the boat to take us back. Once we got back we had to rush to get onboard since we were cutting it short.

We rented a car on St. Croix. This was the way to go for us, we enjoyed very much touring the island ourselves. It was a great time.

We stopped on St. Kitts but decided to stay on the ship and enjoy the pools.

Out of all these islands we loved the excursion on Barbados the most. It was a very nice relaxing sail as well as swimming with the turtles.
Have fun with whatever you decide, you're have a great time no matter what you do on the islands.

Thanks much!

I rented a motorbike a few months ago at Georgetown, Cayman Islands and loved it! Although, it was a scary proposition riding on the "opposite" side of the road as the U.S. and on a two-wheeler.

I thought the Maho Beach is a must do, since there is no other place in the world that offers that proximity. But, am concerned about the crowds and vanity of it.

St. Lucia has some really nice spots to visit (based on my initial research). I lean towards snorkeling I can do from a beach/shore and not off a boat. But, your links and description of Barbados really has me thinking this is a must see.

I've seen the market in St. Kitts just past the arcade area looks incredibly appealing. I've seen/heard that the locals are very friendly and the fish/fruits are excellent.

I really enjoyed doing a Bernard’s tour in St Martin. It was the highlight of the Eastern Caribbean cruise for my husband and I.

I haven’t been to any of the others yet, but have excursions booked for St Lucia and Grenada.
In St Lucia we are doing a Cosol tour and in Grenada we are doing a snorkeling trip to the Underground sculpture park, followed by exploring St Georges on our own. Can’t wait. :hyper:

I'm planning to book Island Tour I for my Adventure cruise in December, heard a lot of great things about this tour provider :)

For what it’s worth, we did a tour like option 1 and loved it. But, in retrospect, we should have chosen the option with the longer beach stop. I would book this option if we were ever back in St Maarten again.

The water is so beautiful, it calls out your name. Once we got there and saw it, it was hard not to feel a bit frustrated that we didn’t have time to properly enjoy it.

If the mailman still works there, request him. He made for a very enjoyable trip.

For what it’s worth, we did a tour like option 1 and loved it. But, in retrospect, we should have chosen the option with the longer beach stop. I would book this option if we were ever back in St Maarten again.

The water is so beautiful, it calls out your name. Once we got there and saw it, it was hard not to feel a bit frustrated that we didn’t have time to properly enjoy it.

If the mailman still works there, request him. He made for a very enjoyable trip.

Wanderlust, I just want to thank you for your honest review. I haven't booked this tour yet, but I will definitely take your points into consideration during the planning stage :)

So if we want to visit Moho Beach in St. Maarten, would anyone recommend taking a taxi and not a tour (cruise sanctioned or not)?

So if we want to visit Moho Beach in St. Maarten, would anyone recommend taking a taxi and not a tour (cruise sanctioned or not)?
We took a taxi to and from Maho Beach. I wouldn't do a tour unless you were planning on doing other things along with Maho.

In St Kitts we took a taxi to Cockleshell beach.

Hi All - Looking for input(s) on must do/avoids on the following ports.
  • St. Croix
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • St. Georges, Grenada
  • Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis
We enjoy snorkeling and sightseeing. Also, we prefer local cuisine.

Thanks!
We did a similar itinerary several years ago and had several excursions I particularly liked:
:boat: This one was awesome in St. Maarten - one of our favourites ever:
https://www.12metre.com/pages/12-metre-challenge

:lovestruc I also LOVED this one in St. Kitts:
http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!