Southwest RR Card

SG131

DIS Veteran
Is there anything I should know before signing up?

I see a lot of posts from back in 2014 recommending this card and now I see a lot of people in the budget board who get their flights free using the rewards. I was thinking of signing up to use this for my next trip possibly early 2019. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I do it that you wish you knew? Thanks.

I have both SW and Disney reward card. We lived in RI and we took a quite a few flights with points. Most of the time I found I was getting 1 to 1.5% if my math is right. Also they have a few double point specials on flights, car rentala and others. Now living in Florida we just drive.
Now I just mostly use my Disney reward card.

I got a new SW RR card just for our trip last November. It was worth it for the 50,000 point bonus. It paid for flights for DH and I.

I see a lot of posts from back in 2014 recommending this card and now I see a lot of people in the budget board who get their flights free using the rewards. I was thinking of signing up to use this for my next trip possibly early 2019. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I do it that you wish you knew? Thanks.

A lot of us do have the SW cards (there are three available-2 personal, 1 business- and all have bonuses ranging from 50k-60k RR points). Our family is larger but we still only end up paying for 1 flight to WDW each year (other 5 fly free thanks to SW credit card!!).

There is a thread here called "I love credit cards so much". We talk a lot about strategies to maximize getting free flights and hotel rooms. Feel free to join us over there and ask any questions you have :)

Your best bet is to get 2 SW cards and obtain the 110k RR points needed for the Companion Pass. The CP is good for the year that is earned and all of the following year. So like my CP just posted on Thurs and will be good through 12/31/19.

The earliest way to do that today based on the current offers is via the SW Biz for 60k bonus points and either SW Plus or Premier for 50k points. The 2 together equal the 110k and instant CP once you meet the spend and the points post. This, of course, is only applicable if you can meet the Chase requirements of being under 5 new credit cards (not just Chase) in the last 24 months.

Check out this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-missed-the-sw-60k-offer.3615171/ to learn about how to maximize points and get a companion pass! If you start now, get 2 cards (for the same person) that earn you 110,000 pts, you will automatically qualify for the Companion Pass so someone can fly free EVERY time the cardholder flies! It will also be good for all of 2018 after the minimum spend is met AND 2019.

Thanks for all the info. I didn’t realize about the companion pass! The 50k free miles seemed too good to be true so I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any reason I should avoid (other than not paying it off right away).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter