Southwest vs the other guys

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I want to give Southwest some kudos. Southwest called last night to inform me of a flight number change. The time didn't change, just the flight number. Maybe an aircraft change??

After that phone call my flight on United was checked. And guess what? For the 5th time they have made a flight change and not informed me. :headache:

So good job Southwest!

On the other hand. If you booked the United flight because it was the cheapest one of the day but your really rather have taken a different flight that day but it was more expensive, you can call United and they will switch you for free to another flight time that day. That is what happened to us. Our flight time changed by 20 minutes and I called and they moved us to the flight I really wanted in the first place but did not want to spend extra money for.

On the other hand. If you booked the United flight because it was the cheapest one of the day but your really rather have taken a different flight that day but it was more expensive, you can call United and they will switch you for free to another flight time that day. That is what happened to us. Our flight time changed by 20 minutes and I called and they moved us to the flight I really wanted in the first place but did not want to spend extra money for.

I got to do that with Jetblue. I was so giddy when I saw the flight become an hour later, just called and got the afternoon flight I wanted instead.

How far away are the trips? If SW is soon, I understand giving you a heads up.

According to some here, airlines will eventually notify you of a change. I personally wouldn’t count on it, but it’s possible your United trip is still too far out for personal notification.

I'm sure plenty of people have had changes for their SW flights and not received a call, just as I'm sure plenty of people have had changes with the "other guys" and gotten a communication. No airline is perfect at notifications. Just check often for all flights.

Our first time flying we used United and never got a notification that our flights changed u til we did the check in 24 hrs prior

Delta has been great about email uodates

How far away are the trips? If SW is soon, I understand giving you a heads up.

According to some here, airlines will eventually notify you of a change. I personally wouldn’t count on it, but it’s possible your United trip is still too far out for personal notification.

They are both in October. We are flying to Orlando on United, back home on Southwest.

Most airlines will change times about once a quarter so depending on when you book your flights there can be quite a few changes. That's an estimate, not a rule.

IMO, SW has the customer service part down a bit better than United. I don't know if it's the back office systems they use or what, but I'm flown United several times it's a hit and miss if I get notifications ( and my email address and phone number on file haven't changed in years ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!