Space Mountain question

DISFANSHAN

DIS Veteran
Hi! Does anyone know why the Space Mountian in Walt Disney World has a 44" height requirement, while the one at Disneyland is only 40"? I have never been to DL, but am planning a trip for June. I always assumed the rides were exactly the same.

They are not the exact same. The one at DL has seating in rows of 2; whereas, the Florida one is bobsled like seating.

and they are not anywhere close to being the same.........
DL version is much smoother, and musical.......
don"t know why the height thing is different.

There could also be a difference in liability/insurance requirements between the 2 states (California and Florida).

I haven't been on the DL one since they redid it. But, I'm thinking that the different types of seats might have a different pull down bar that comes down to a different place.

EDIT: posted the wrong thing :P

Yea, maybe one is faster than the other or something :/

The two rides are very different. WDW's Space has 2 tracks that are very similar if not identical to the DL's Matterhorn (when I rode Space at WDW I felt like I had just gotten off the Matterhorn). DL's Space has a completely different track layout. Also, the seating is different as a PP said--side by side as opposed to one person per seat single file. DL's Space has always had a 40" requirement.

I'm going to guess the others are right on the reason - the one in Fla has the bob-sled style seats so kids probably should be a bit taller -- there's nothing to help keep them in (like your arm across them). As far as being the same, I'd say NOT AT ALL! As a WDW vet (and loving it), I will say I MUCH prefer the one in California. I loved it and rode it 3 times in 3 days a couple of weeks ago. My dd (who hated the one in Fla) loved the one in California and will tell you it's now her favorite ride. But, she still won't ride in WDW. She felt safer in California. BTW, I loved the soundtrack in California, too. It's soooooo cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter