SPACE RESTAURANT WATCH THREAD—Entrance photos post #1609!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone expect any kind of a heads up before Space 220 reservations open up? Or do we think they'll just appear one day?
If it happens like the other new restaurants that Disney has opened (La Hacienda, Skipper’s, Takumi Tei), we will get a heads up. They will make an announcement and the restaurant webpage will be up. Note that this has happened *after* the restaurant has been doing a soft opening without ADRs, so if it follows the other restaurant openings, it first needs to open before it will take ADRs.

Having seen 10+ years of this, I think we are pretty far from ADRs opening. There isn’t an opening date yet and there isn’t a webpage on the Disney site.

So any restaurant industry folks here? just wondering on timeline for hiring executive chef and opening the restaurant. Because I am sure the answer is February 23nd. LOL. I would apply for the position but I lack 100% of the qualifications. I am just going to go ahead and adjust expectations to "not open during visit" with a hopeful sigh.

As someone else pointed out, the job posting has been out there for weeks; what's new is the revelation of who the chef was, and that the reason for that posting is that the he left for Vegas. Unfortunately, the way it was being reported made it sound like he quit on Tuesday.

It's probably safe to assume that finding a new chef would cause at least some delay, and might explain why the official line changed from "winter 2019" to "this winter."

However, the upside of this news is that they might not be as far behind as some were speculating when the job posting first appeared, since they're replacing the chef they had in place, and not just starting to look for a chef.

I am pretty sure that even with the loss of their executive chef they will still be a plan in place to open as soon as they can. Let's be honest the executive chef there's more of a honorary title and not much actual control of the menu. I am sure Disney gets the finally say over everything.

I am pretty sure that even with the loss of their executive chef they will still be a plan in place to open as soon as they can. Let's be honest the executive chef there's more of a honorary title and not much actual control of the menu. I am sure Disney gets the finally say over everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is (at least part of) why the chef left.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I understand it's a new restaurant, but they shift chefs around at restaurants without shuttering. So, I think if the menu is set, they can do the same in this instance. Assuming I'm remembering correctly, Cali Grill got Jiko's chef and there were no closures or anything. I understand that those aren't V&A's, but neither is this new place.

It's probably safe to assume that finding a new chef would cause at least some delay, and might explain why the official line changed from "winter 2019" to "this winter."
That's just it: It isn't safe to assume that. There is just too much money involved. It is more likely that they'll open the place without a permanent executive chef than leaving money on the table. The delay is as likely as not related to something other than the personnel issue.

That's just it: It isn't safe to assume that. There is just too much money involved. It is more likely that they'll open the place without a permanent executive chef than leaving money on the table. The delay is as likely as not related to something other than the personnel issue.

I agree. Every minute they're not open and collecting revenue is really damaging. I'm sure they're paying OUT THE NOSE for the location, insurance, salaried staff, etc. They're going to open on schedule if there's a sliver of hope that they can do so.

The Patina group is large enough that I would expect they have a temporary cheff in place so the menu work and planning contiues. I would also expect a significant portion of the menu was done before their Head Chef left.

Having seen 10+ years of this, I think we are pretty far from ADRs opening. There isn’t an opening date yet and there isn’t a webpage on the Disney site.
[/QUOTE]

Could you expand on what you mean by "pretty far" from ADRs opening? Having never before "waited" on a restaurant like I have a ride, I am not clear on time frames. Do you think it is still possible for this to open "this winter", i.e., before March 21st? Or that's when winter ends for the rest of us! And it will probably be open for a few weeks/months before they accept ADRs? We have an early March trip I have resigned myself to not be able to experience this, but I have been sure we could attempt to make ADRs for a mid June trip-not too sure anymore though!

Could you expand on what you mean by "pretty far" from ADRs opening? Having never before "waited" on a restaurant like I have a ride, I am not clear on time frames. Do you think it is still possible for this to open "this winter", i.e., before March 21st? Or that's when winter ends for the rest of us! And it will probably be open for a few weeks/months before they accept ADRs? We have an early March trip I have resigned myself to not be able to experience this, but I have been sure we could attempt to make ADRs for a mid June trip-not too sure anymore though!

My best guess based on what I am seeing in this thread is that it will not open in 2019, nor will we see ADRs go live in 2019. Before this happens they need to set up the webpage for it in the Disney site. After the webpage is up and it opens in winter 2020 (January or February) and they run it without ADRs to figure out the kinks, *then* they’ll open ADRs.

Of course, this is all based on what has happened in the past and they don’t have to follow this model, especially if they feel they are delayed and missing out on revenue. We’ll know a lot more about ADRs once they announce the opening. It will be in the official Disney Parks Blog.

I do think that it will open in winter 2020 - January or February.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!