Spain :)

Pinkos

Mouseketeer
hi all!

Looking for info on some trip planning. We are Canadians that are looking to travel somewhere different On our next family vacay and have heard Spain beaches are beautiful.

Only one problem - I inow nothing about Spain. Looking for help on where to start. What part of Spain would u reccomend ? We are 2 adults and 2 children, 8&5. We'd like to rent a house/villa with its own pool. Interested in visiting beaches and maybe zoos, water parks ... And some sight seeing.
Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi

There's a lot of Spain to see :-)

You say family so i guess it would be a mixture of sightseeing and beach type of holiday?

We spend a lot of time on the Costa del Sol and as a family have a great time so would recommend it. Pick your spot carefully though staying away from the cheap package holiday locations. There are 1,000's of rental apartments, villas etc on that coast, miles of beaches, medieval towns and other sights to see, it's also called 'Costa del Golf', so plenty to do (or not as the feeling takes you) http://www.andalucia.org/en/

If you decide that the CDS is for you happy to help more.

regards

Paul

if you want to rent, try airbnb....we've been happy with them in spain...

go to the fodors and rick steves websites and read up on spain....

you can also find useful information on things to do at the trip advisor website..

your best bet is to read read read....
all the guidebooks have good websites now....(also lonely planet, though i'm not a fan...but lots of people swear by it)....

or go to your local bookstore - barnes and noble being the best bet (assuming you have one still open near you), and head for the travel aisle....go to the section on spain, pull out the books and sit there and read a while..

but really, hit the online guidebooks and research research research..

Awesome suggestions guys! Thanks! Are the Canary Islands close enough to Barcelona for us to do a day trip to the city.

Awesome suggestions guys! Thanks! Are the Canary Islands close enough to Barcelona for us to do a day trip to the city.

I can't see why not, but only by getting a flight of course as Gran Canaria is a island off of Spain. Barcelona is about 2,400km from Gran Canaria which sounds a lot, but if you were in a plane, it wouldn't take long at all.

Gran canaria I would say is a bit far from Barcelona for a day trip as you would have to check in around 2hours before you fly plus it's around 2hour flight time.

The balearic islands are much closer to fly to from mainland spain, I think you can even do it by ferry . If you plan on visiting the islands do a bit of research is usually 1 or 2 towns each island will be party based lespecially Majorca and Ibiza. Majorca has some stunning family beach locations as well as a historical capital city with stunning cathedral. My favourite day trip once im on the island is the old soller railway. You travel through the orange groves up the mountains to a tiny bay.

I have also been all over spain and loved everywhere. Bilbao and Valencia are both city destinations have loads to do.

How long would you expect your trip to be? Will you have a car ?

If its not a huge trip in length I would look at Barcelona as a must.look also at girona

Last edited:

Sorry girona airport it's close enough to be easily accessible to Barcelona but can be cheaper , however coming in on a international flight you may not have it available. Barcelona has a zoo and big football stadium if you have have boys may enjoy.

Most beach resorts on the Spanish coast and surrounding islands will have water park near by or via an easily bootable day excursion. There is also a theme park port aventura that is supposed to be great,though I have not been there.

You can't beat Majorca for a great family holiday. It has it all - quiet resorts, fabulous beaches, lively entertainment when needed and stunning scenery. You need to choose your resort carefully however. We stay in the north of the island, near to Alcudia and it's beautiful.

As others have said the Costa del Sol is also a good choice. An often overlooked destination is the Costa de la Luz which is just over the border from Portugal. The beaches are beautiful but the majority of the resorts are quiet. We stay at Isla de Canela and there are lots of villas in the surrounding area.

We were thinking a week long vacation. My kids love zoos and water parks so happy to hear both would be items we could do there :)

Love this board - always so helpful! Thanks again!

Here is an idea. from an European person ( Irish )

Fly to Barcelona , & Hire a car. ( Holiday Autos .com ) Then go to Google Earth .. find Barcelona ..put in

Hotels & start searching for a Hotel , in your price range .... with Pool for 2 rooms ... with breakfast

& maybe Half Board ( Dinner ) = Dinner bed & breakfast .

Then Drive to The Country of Andora ( Stay in Hotel Como ).

Then Drive into France via Province of Catalonia & over mountains to Lourdes & back over mountains to Barcelona

Now that is a vacation your children will enjoy.

We are going to Vancouver ... Whistler .. Kamloops. Nelson.... into Idaho.... Priest River, Spokane

& Back to Vancouver ..... in August

I am also Canadian but grew up going to Spain as my Mom was from there. From Barcelona, you could also go to one of the resort towns in Costa Brava. My family lived in the province of Girona so we would often spend some of vacation renting an apprtment at one of the beach town. I specifically remember Rosas, Estartit and Empuriabrava but there are many resort towns there. It was way too long ago to give specifics but I have great memories from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter