Specialty Non Alcoholic Beverages

lesos69

Dis Obsessed
Just so I am clear, I am able to order a $11 alcoholic drink, but I cannot order an $8 soda because it comes in a souvenir cup?

Right. The entire $11 charge is for the drink. Part of the $8 is for the cup. You can't eat or drink the cup.

I was hoping to get the cup...my kid is 19, and loves to collect them for some reason. So, too young for alcohol but paying the same amount for dining plan as I am.

I was hoping to get the cup...my kid is 19, and loves to collect them for some reason. So, too young for alcohol but paying the same amount for dining plan as I am.

I truly don't mean this in a snarky way, but perhaps if you think of it like this: you are purchasing a DINING plan, not a SOUVENIR plan. The drinks are a part of your dining, but the cups they come in are not. What is allowed isn't necessarily price based, but item based.

I truly don't mean this in a snarky way, but perhaps if you think of it like this: you are purchasing a DINING plan, not a SOUVENIR plan. The drinks are a part of your dining, but the cups they come in are not. What is allowed isn't necessarily price based, but item based.
Not snarky at all! I get that it is a dining plan.

Disney can include or exclude as they wish on the dining plan. If they don't want to include souvenir cups, so be it.
But let's not pretend there is some guiding logic about only "dining" being included.
Dining "packages" are included, which include Fantasmic passes and other show passes. Those passes are not DINING.
Character buffets are not broken out where only the food is covered and you pay extra for the characters.
Cinderella's Table includes a princess photo.

So it's not the least bit unusual for the dining plan to cover "non food" extras.

It would actually be entirely logical to INCLUDE souvenir cups considering that 21+ adults and 10-20 year-olds pay the same price for the plan. For the 21+, that typically includes multiple $10-$20 beverages. It would be quite logical to include the same "value" for those under 21.

As things stand, as a result, it's much much easier for a 21+ to hit the daily "value" of about $80 versus someone under 21. (And also a non-alcohol drinker). ($10 worth of snacks for each, $15 QS entree for each, $25 TS entree for both, $8 dessert for both.. 2 sodas for the minor, at $4 per soda, equals only $64 for the day. While the 21+, might get 2 alcoholic beverages averaging $12 each, for a total of $78... the break even point of the DDP).

Again, Disney has every right to exclude or include. They could even go totally irrational and say Coke is included but not Sprite. Or chocolate desserts are included but fruit based desserts.
They have every right to do it, but it's not totally logically to include an $18 beverage without a souvenir cup, but exclude a $12 beverage that comes with a souvenir cup.

Disney can include or exclude as they wish on the dining plan. If they don't want to include souvenir cups, so be it.
But let's not pretend there is some guiding logic about only "dining" being included.
Dining "packages" are included, which include Fantasmic passes and other show passes. Those passes are not DINING.
Character buffets are not broken out where only the food is covered and you pay extra for the characters.
Cinderella's Table includes a princess photo.

So it's not the least bit unusual for the dining plan to cover "non food" extras.

It would actually be entirely logical to INCLUDE souvenir cups considering that 21+ adults and 10-20 year-olds pay the same price for the plan. For the 21+, that typically includes multiple $10-$20 beverages. It would be quite logical to include the same "value" for those under 21.

As things stand, as a result, it's much much easier for a 21+ to hit the daily "value" of about $80 versus someone under 21. (And also a non-alcohol drinker). ($10 worth of snacks for each, $15 QS entree for each, $25 TS entree for both, $8 dessert for both.. 2 sodas for the minor, at $4 per soda, equals only $64 for the day. While the 21+, might get 2 alcoholic beverages averaging $12 each, for a total of $78... the break even point of the DDP).

Again, Disney has every right to exclude or include. They could even go totally irrational and say Coke is included but not Sprite. Or chocolate desserts are included but fruit based desserts.
They have every right to do it, but it's not totally logically to include an $18 beverage without a souvenir cup, but exclude a $12 beverage that comes with a souvenir cup.

Actually, I'm pretty sure CRT stopped including the photo years ago. Yes, you still get your pic taken, but there's no printed photo and if you don't have Memory Maker you have to pay for the digital pic.

Character buffets don't have a separate character charge on the dining plan because the characters are a part of the dining experience, whether you're on the dining plan or not. It's a feature of those particular restaurants, the same way that Raglan Road has dancers and House of Blues has live music. The cost is built in to the price of dining there and not a separate charge.

In regards to the dining package reserved seating for Rivers of Light or Fantasmic, it's easy for Disney to include those as it costs them virtually nothing. The shows are free for anyone who enters the park so it's not a big deal in terms of cost for Disney to throw some special seating for a show on with it.

The thing about souvenir cups is they are an additional cost for Disney. They aren't included under any dining plan with any beverage. Kids can't get the souvenir cup or light up figurine, adults purchasing a drink in a souvenir mug don't get the mug, etc. When buying drinks out of pocket, you pay a higher price to get it with the souvenir mug (and yes, in most cases even if it's not advertised, you can get the drink without the mug at a lesser cost). They've taken a hard line that souvenir cups aren't include on the dining plans. It would be a completely different story if adults got the souvenir mug with their alcoholic drinks but under 21s couldn't with a non-alcoholic drink, but that's not the case.

Including alcohol in the dining plans doesn't really cost Disney all that much. Disney charges an arm and a leg for alcohol, but in all actuality, most alcoholic drinks cost them less than $1 to make. The souvenir mug almost certainly costs them more than the majority of their alcoholic drinks. It may not seem "fair" when you're looking at the cost difference between a $12 non-alcoholic drink in a souvenir mug and an $18 alcoholic drink, but in regards to what it actually costs Disney, including that souvenir mug on the dining plan would cost them more than the jack and coke the legal adult orders. Heck, the $9 milkshake (which someone 10-20 can order as their drink on the plan) probably costs Disney the same if not slightly more than most of the alcoholic drinks.

It's absolutely logical for them to consider inclusions on the dining plan based on what their own costs are.

Actually, I'm pretty sure CRT stopped including the photo years ago. Yes, you still get your pic taken, but there's no printed photo and if you don't have Memory Maker you have to pay for the digital pic.

Character buffets don't have a separate character charge on the dining plan because the characters are a part of the dining experience, whether you're on the dining plan or not. It's a feature of those particular restaurants, the same way that Raglan Road has dancers and House of Blues has live music. The cost is built in to the price of dining there and not a separate charge.

In regards to the dining package reserved seating for Rivers of Light or Fantasmic, it's easy for Disney to include those as it costs them virtually nothing. The shows are free for anyone who enters the park so it's not a big deal in terms of cost for Disney to throw some special seating for a show on with it.

The thing about souvenir cups is they are an additional cost for Disney. They aren't included under any dining plan with any beverage. Kids can't get the souvenir cup or light up figurine, adults purchasing a drink in a souvenir mug don't get the mug, etc. When buying drinks out of pocket, you pay a higher price to get it with the souvenir mug (and yes, in most cases even if it's not advertised, you can get the drink without the mug at a lesser cost). They've taken a hard line that souvenir cups aren't include on the dining plans. It would be a completely different story if adults got the souvenir mug with their alcoholic drinks but under 21s couldn't with a non-alcoholic drink, but that's not the case.

Including alcohol in the dining plans doesn't really cost Disney all that much. Disney charges an arm and a leg for alcohol, but in all actuality, most alcoholic drinks cost them less than $1 to make. The souvenir mug almost certainly costs them more than the majority of their alcoholic drinks. It may not seem "fair" when you're looking at the cost difference between a $12 non-alcoholic drink in a souvenir mug and an $18 alcoholic drink, but in regards to what it actually costs Disney, including that souvenir mug on the dining plan would cost them more than the jack and coke the legal adult orders. Heck, the $9 milkshake (which someone 10-20 can order as their drink on the plan) probably costs Disney the same if not slightly more than most of the alcoholic drinks.

It's absolutely logical for them to consider inclusions on the dining plan based on what their own costs are.

I’ll just say that in many cases, I suspect alcohol costs a good amount more than the souvenir cups. Mass produced souvenir cups don’t cost much at all. Talking about under $1 per cup. Buying alcohol at wholesale is still more than $1 per serving.

I’ll just say that in many cases, I suspect alcohol costs a good amount more than the souvenir cups. Mass produced souvenir cups don’t cost much at all. Talking about under $1 per cup. Buying alcohol at wholesale is still more than $1 per serving.

Disney charges $13 for a Pina Colada.
- A 750 ml bottle of Bacardi Razz costs me $12.99. I can get 16 full 1.5 oz shots from it, making the cost $0.81/shot.
- Pina colada mix is $4.99 for a 1.75L bottle (just over 59 oz), so about $0.08/ oz.
- Raspberry puree is $3.19 for 32 oz, so roughly $0.10/oz.
Fill a 12 oz cup with ice, 1.5 oz rum, 1 oz raspberry puree, and fill with Pina colada mix (ends up only being about 4 oz due to the ice and other ingredients), then blend.
*Total cost: $1.23, and that's me paying single bottle liquor store prices, not wholesale.

A Blackberry Sour at California Grill costs $15.
- A 750ml bottle of Ketel One Citron costs me $20. I can get 16 full 1.5 oz shots, so $1.25/ shot.
- A gallon of lemonade takes 2 cups sugar ($3.92/10 lbs which is 22.5 cups, so about $.35 for 2 cups) and 8-10 lemons (2 lbs lemons would have 8-10 lemons and costs about $3). $3.35 for a gallon (128 oz) of lemonade, so roughly $0.08 for 3 oz of lemonade. If making from powder, this cost is even less.
- A 1/2 pint of blackberries costs me $2 and contains roughly 16 blackberries, making them 12.5 cents each. 2 in the drink would cost $0.25.
*Total cost: $1.53. Disney would be spending less purchasing wholesale.

A draft pour of Bud Light at Disney costs $7-10 (can't remember if they do 12 or 16 oz pours or if it varies)
- A 15.5G (1984oz) keg of Bud Light costs me $120. That's 165 12oz beers or 124 16oz beers.
*Total cost: 12 oz= $0.73. 16oz= $0.97.
Again, Disney is going to be paying less than that wholesale.

I'm sure there are some drinks that cost Disney more than that, but many of their common drinks really don't cost them much. As for the souvenir mugs, you also have to remember the upcharge to get them printed or etched with a custom design. I'm betting they probably pay more than $1 for the souvenir Stein at Gaston's for instance, which is specially designed and printed.

Disney charges $13 for a Pina Colada.
- A 750 ml bottle of Bacardi Razz costs me $12.99. I can get 16 full 1.5 oz shots from it, making the cost $0.81/shot.
- Pina colada mix is $4.99 for a 1.75L bottle (just over 59 oz), so about $0.08/ oz.
- Raspberry puree is $3.19 for 32 oz, so roughly $0.10/oz.
Fill a 12 oz cup with ice, 1.5 oz rum, 1 oz raspberry puree, and fill with Pina colada mix (ends up only being about 4 oz due to the ice and other ingredients), then blend.
*Total cost: $1.23, and that's me paying single bottle liquor store prices, not wholesale.

A Blackberry Sour at California Grill costs $15.
- A 750ml bottle of Ketel One Citron costs me $20. I can get 16 full 1.5 oz shots, so $1.25/ shot.
- A gallon of lemonade takes 2 cups sugar ($3.92/10 lbs which is 22.5 cups, so about $.35 for 2 cups) and 8-10 lemons (2 lbs lemons would have 8-10 lemons and costs about $3). $3.35 for a gallon (128 oz) of lemonade, so roughly $0.08 for 3 oz of lemonade. If making from powder, this cost is even less.
- A 1/2 pint of blackberries costs me $2 and contains roughly 16 blackberries, making them 12.5 cents each. 2 in the drink would cost $0.25.
*Total cost: $1.53. Disney would be spending less purchasing wholesale.

A draft pour of Bud Light at Disney costs $7-10 (can't remember if they do 12 or 16 oz pours or if it varies)
- A 15.5G (1984oz) keg of Bud Light costs me $120. That's 165 12oz beers or 124 16oz beers.
*Total cost: 12 oz= $0.73. 16oz= $0.97.
Again, Disney is going to be paying less than that wholesale.

I'm sure there are some drinks that cost Disney more than that, but many of their common drinks really don't cost them much. As for the souvenir mugs, you also have to remember the upcharge to get them printed or etched with a custom design. I'm betting they probably pay more than $1 for the souvenir Stein at Gaston's for instance, which is specially designed and printed.

exactly my point. Alcoholic beverages run $1-3 in cost. (For example... they sell a class of wine for $10-20+. A bottle holds 5 servings. So even a whole sale $10 bottle is $2 per serving).
I ordered for an event 500 high quality custom designed and printed mug (similar to the Disney refillable mugs), and they were 0.74 each. I’m sure Disney gets them even cheaper.
The alcohol is probably 2-3x the cost of the souvenir cups.

exactly my point. Alcoholic beverages run $1-3 in cost. (For example... they sell a class of wine for $10-20+. A bottle holds 5 servings. So even a whole sale $10 bottle is $2 per serving).
I ordered for an event 500 high quality custom designed and printed mug (similar to the Disney refillable mugs), and they were 0.74 each. I’m sure Disney gets them even cheaper.
The alcohol is probably 2-3x the cost of the souvenir cups.

I guess I'm just confused at what souvenir cups specifically that you think ought to be included with a non-alcoholic beverage on the DDP. A resort refillable mug is already included for each person on the plan.

I guess I'm just confused at what souvenir cups specifically that you think ought to be included with a non-alcoholic beverage on the DDP. A resort refillable mug is already included for each person on the plan.

Not saying whether it should be included or not. That's up to Disney. They could decide chicken is excluded.

Just saying it's not really a very rational choice. If those over 21 can get $15+ beverages, it's a bit silly to deny a 16-year-old a $9 non-alcoholic drink, just because it comes in a 50-cent souvenir cup.

I was doing the DDP spreadsheet calculations -- Under the restaurants I selected, it is almost impossible for my teenage kids to even break even on the dining plan. My wife and I save about $5-$10 per day on the dining plan, basically because of a cocktail per day.

Lots of "non food" items are implicitly included in the dining plan. So drawing the line at souvenir cups is an odd place to draw it. Feels like it's a vestige from the days when alcohol wasn't included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!