Spinoff - Food Quirks

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
Everyone has them, I think.

I don't eat waffles. You know chicken & waffles? Well my parents had a different version of that. You made the chicken/turkey in a gravy and served it over the waffles. It wasn't fried, just usually left over chicken or turkey reheated in a gravy. My siblings and parents loved it. I hated it. Refused to eat it but unfortunately my parents were clean plate club parents as we grew up dirt poor and didn't have alternatives. That was the only meal I would fight them on. And I still refuse to eat waffles.

I also don't eat tomatoes, mushrooms, watermelon and oysters. Tomatoes look good and smell good and I make myself try then periodically because I want to like them, but I just don't. Same with watermelon.

I sat at my parents' kitchen table on night until 9:30 p.m. from dinner time because my mother served cabbage soup. Everyone else liked it, but I couldn't eat something that smelled like a fart when it was cooking. Blech. That only happened once. My Mom let me eat cereal for dinner after that when she'd make it.

When you talk about food aversions, though, you made me think of my niece. In 2018, I invited her to go to London with my DD and I... with a caveat that she'd have to broaden her food choices from just mac & cheese and bread. That was all she'd eat when I took her to WDW the previous year.

She said, "well, it looks like I can't come with you, then." She didn't go, because she won't try new foods. She will be 16 in May. I'll give her the same choice on joining us in Poland this year. I doubt she will go. I'd have eaten gruel for every meal to go on any vacation that was free for me.

I also don't eat tomatoes. Raw tomatoes completely gross me out, especially, but I'm also not a big fan of them cooked. I can eat tomato sauce, but tend to pick out any chunks. I'll eat salsa, but only non-chunky varieties.

I don't like almonds or hazelnuts (mostly a texture issue), but I like almond and hazelnut flavored things. If they're ground up in something I can eat them (linzer cookies, Nutella).

I also don't eat tomatoes. Raw tomatoes completely gross me out, especially, but I'm also not a big fan of them cooked. I can eat tomato sauce, but tend to pick out any chunks. I'll eat salsa, but only non-chunky varieties.

I'm with you on the tomatoes - I despise them raw or cooked in chunks. I can do tomato sauce or finely chopped salsa but if there are noticeable chunks I'll eat around them.

Tomatoes and eggplant are literally the only vegetables (yes, I know tomatoes are a fruit) I refuse to eat. My parents love them and to this day will tell you that I'm a super picky eater because I won't eat them. Seriously, as a kid I loved all things green - broccoli, spinach, kale, beans, etc. I'd even eat squash. I was not picky.

I'm also weird about fruit. If it isn't citrus or an apple I don't like the texture and I definitely don't like any of it cooked. Especially not as a sauce for meat.

Other than that, I'll eat just about anything.

I won't eat apples. I like apple flavour as in applesauce or apple pie. It's the biting into an apple that is an issue with me. It's like chalk on a chalkboard for me.
Not a fan of liver.
I will eat onions cut up in things but I don't like big slices of onions.

ETA - some veggies I don't really eat raw - broccoli and cauliflower for sure. I like them cooked but not raw.

Last edited:
I don't eat organ meats as a rule, but I try to keep an open mind especially when traveling. If offered something I would at least try it.

I don't eat shellfish because of an allergy. That's pretty much it!

There are certain foods I don't care for prepared a certain way, or in a certain combination, but there are very, very few things I wouldn't try. I did pass on chicken feet when we went to China last year and I kind of regret it lol. My daughter ate a silkworm there and said it was nutty.

I don't eat most types of fish- the exceptions being occasionally shrimp or tuna salad, like 3 servings of fish or less a year occasionally. I also do not like mushrooms; they taste like dirt smells.

I don't eat most types of fish- the exceptions being occasionally shrimp or tuna salad, like 3 servings of fish or less a year occasionally. I also do not like mushrooms; they taste like dirt smells.

haha, I feel the same way about beets but forgot to mention that. I DO eat them if they are in salads, etc. but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some.

I have texture issues with beans. I'll eat baked beans no problem, but beans mixed in with other things (burritos, soup, etc) and I can't do it. It has to all be beans or no beans at all.

I also don't eat tomatoes, mushrooms, watermelon and oysters. Tomatoes look good and smell good and I make myself try then periodically because I want to like them, but I just don't. Same with watermelon.
No way, tomatoes and mushrooms are a staple for just about everything.

Note, home grown or farm tomatoes, not the tasteless garbage in the stores.

First tomato I saw ready in the garden each year I'd bring it in and let my wife know that it was time for hamburgers. Then I'd slice the tomato into 2 slices and we each ate a near 2 inch thick tomato slice on a burger.

I love cooking with onions. I hate eating anything with onion. Can't stand biting into a piece of onion.

Occasionally the kids want Burger King and I lived on $0.99 Whoppers in my late high school and post high school days. I get looks when I order specifically without onion, then order a large onion ring.

I don't eat organ meats as a rule, but I try to keep an open mind especially when traveling. If offered something I would at least try it.
Nope, my mind is shut pretty tight. At my age, I know what I like and don't like so if someone is telling me I should try a piece of slime wrapped in a noodle in a hot yet sour liquid with egg floating all through it, I know that I wouldn't enjoy that and would definitely enjoy the Ribeye I ordered much better.

Last edited:
I don't like to crunch something in a soft food - therefore I hate when onions, celery, water chestnuts, etc are added to things that are normally fairly soft foods. For example, my mom insists on putting onions in cheesy potato casserole - I love potato casserole, but just can't eat hers because I don't want my casserole to crunch.

I don't like to crunch something in a soft food - therefore I hate when onions, celery, water chestnuts, etc are added to things that are normally fairly soft foods. For example, my mom insists on putting onions in cheesy potato casserole - I love potato casserole, but just can't eat hers because I don't want my casserole to crunch.

Just don't put raw celery in anything! Cooked to mush in a soup is ok, but raw celery is not. Same with onions.

I can practically live on hamburgers but I will not eat meatloaf and will only eat my meatballs. I don't like ground beef with eggs and/or bread crumbs mixed in.

I have a strange aversion to boiling water in a microwave. I just don't like it and I won't do it. I also don't like heating soup in one either - it must be done on the stove.
That's not a strange aversion. Plain microwaved water with nothing at all in it can "explode" when the microwave is opened. Something about the surface tension. Now, i think this can be avoided by putting a wooden coffee stirrer, or skewer, or any microwave-safe item in the cooking vessel.

Yes, i know "stupid", frequently useless stuff :).

I was really bad when I was young. Hard to get me to eat any cooked vegetables. I'd eat salad, but cooked veggies grossed me out.

(Of course, it could've had something to do with the way my mother and grandmother cooked them: cover them in water and boil them to within an inch of their life. :crazy2: )

About the only one I still have is: I hate boiled eggs and anything that has boiled eggs in them. I hate the smell, I hate the texture, the whole thing. The one exception is the Cobb Salad at HBD. They're chopped so fine and covered with so much other stuff that I don't notice them.

That's not a strange aversion. Plain microwaved water with nothing at all in it can "explode" when the microwave is opened. Something about the surface tension. Now, i think this can be avoided by putting a wooden coffee stirrer, or skewer, or any microwave-safe item in the cooking vessel.

Yes, i know "stupid", frequently useless stuff :).

Yeah, but that's not why I don't like it. I think it tastes weird.

No way, tomatoes and mushrooms are a staple for just about everything.

Note, home grown or farm tomatoes, not the tasteless garbage in the stores.

First tomato I saw ready in the garden each year I'd bring it in and let my wife know that it was time for hamburgers. Then I'd slice the tomato into 2 slices and we each ate a near 2 inch thick tomato slice on a burger.

I love cooking with onions. I hate eating anything with onion. Can't stand biting into a piece of onion.

Occasionally the kids want Burger King and I lived on $0.99 Whoppers in my late high school and post high school days. I get looks when I order specifically without onion, then order a large onion ring.

Nope, my mind is shut pretty tight. At my age, I know what I like and don't like so if someone is telling me I should try a piece of slime wrapped in a noodle in a hot yet sour liquid with egg floating all through it, I know that I wouldn't enjoy that and would definitely enjoy the Ribeye I ordered much better.

That's great if you don't do a lot of traveling which we do, so when in Rome... I like trying local dishes because I feel if millions of Chinese or Italians or Mexicans, etc. like a certain food there must be some appeal to it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not...didn't care for cactus in Mexico so stuck with tacos and margaritas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter