Spinoff - Food Quirks

No strong cheeses, no eggs (quiche, omelet, scrambled, fried, though hardboiled are okay), no mac & cheese, and no land animal meat (seafood is okay).

I hate mushrooms, but love their flavor in things. I’ve never been fond of them, but one day I woke up in the middle of the day after working midnights and was not fully awake when I went downstairs and noticed an Italian beef sandwich sitting on the counter. It smelled good and I grabbed what I thought was a piece of meat, just to have a little taste. It wasn’t meat, it was mushroom. Almost threw up all over that sandwich. That’s also the last time I took a bite of something without being able to see it well.

I sat at my parents' kitchen table on night until 9:30 p.m. from dinner time because my mother served cabbage soup. Everyone else liked it, but I couldn't eat something that smelled like a fart when it was cooking. Blech. That only happened once. My Mom let me eat cereal for dinner after that when she'd make it.

When you talk about food aversions, though, you made me think of my niece. In 2018, I invited her to go to London with my DD and I... with a caveat that she'd have to broaden her food choices from just mac & cheese and bread. That was all she'd eat when I took her to WDW the previous year.

She said, "well, it looks like I can't come with you, then." She didn't go, because she won't try new foods. She will be 16 in May. I'll give her the same choice on joining us in Poland this year. I doubt she will go. I'd have eaten gruel for every meal to go on any vacation that was free for me.

Funnily, I actually got over a lot of my food aversions by travelling. I’d be like ‘well, I don’t eat mustard, but if I’ve paid all this money to travel halfway across the world to eat a hotdog in NYC then I have to do it right!’. Most of the time it then turns out that I actually do like the food, which has made me a more adventurous eater at home.

The food I hate the most is onion. I don't like them cooked, raw, fried, boiled... I don't like them in sauce, or soup, or salad. Everyone tells me I "just haven't had it prepared properly." NOT TRUE! I just don't like them. I've also had people tell me it's a psychological thing... also NOT TRUE! I can eat things that contain onion powder, a lot of chips and stuff contain onion powder and I knowingly eat it because it doesn't have a strong onion flavor. I can also occasionally do chives on a baked potato, but that's the extent of it.

The food I hate the most is onion. I don't like them cooked, raw, fried, boiled... I don't like them in sauce, or soup, or salad. Everyone tells me I "just haven't had it prepared properly." NOT TRUE! I just don't like them. I've also had people tell me it's a psychological thing... also NOT TRUE! I can eat things that contain onion powder, a lot of chips and stuff contain onion powder and I knowingly eat it because it doesn't have a strong onion flavor. I can also occasionally do chives on a baked potato, but that's the extent of it.
I also hate onions with a burning passion

When I was a kid I had quite a few, but as an adult, eggs are my one remaining weirdness. I only eat them rarely and only prepared in certain ways. Like an egg in ramen is okay and I'll eat an omelet once in a blue moon as long as it has a LOT of filling/toppings, but I'd never sit down to scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast, don't like most take-out breakfast sandwiches because of the eggs, etc.

The only way I don't like eggs is fried sunny side up; that egg white needs to be cooked! I also don't eat raw eggs.
Don't eat anchovies or sardines. Oily, crunchy fish- yuck.
I draw the line at eating insects or reptiles, and I'm not a fan of turtle or frog, but I'm fine with organ meats. I'm also fine with rabbit, venison, and elk.
I also don't like the way seaweed tastes so that limits my consumption of sushi. If there's no seaweed in it, or I can deconstruct it, I'm usually fine- except eel... I don't eat eel or jellyfish.
That's about it.

I have Asperger's and along with that are some sensory issues that affect some of the foods I will not eat. I will not eat raw Hanna but like banna bread and strawberry banana smoothies so I think that is a texture thing. I can not stand sea food except canned tuna. If I smell fish cooking I gag I can not help it. The same goes for a lot of fried food at once. Say a Midway at the fair. I don't like ranch dressing or mustard really but will eat it it in stuff

There are some foods I don’t care for, but there’s nothing that I can honestly say I’ll NEVER eat again.
I went over food items I didn’t care for in another thread, but as far as weird food issues, I only have one. Chicken. I never ever order it in a restaurant and it took me years to be able to eat it again period. It has to be organic and no antibiotics and free range and all that other stuff. It also has to be boneless. I miss hot wings like crazy, but I just can’t do it.
Everything else is free game. I am always willing to try something at least once. 99.9% of the time, I end up liking it. For instance, I tried beef heart at a Peruvian place in Chicago. I’m pretty sure intestines and tongue were on the platter as well. Anyway, the heart was delicious.

That's not a strange aversion. Plain microwaved water with nothing at all in it can "explode" when the microwave is opened. Something about the surface tension. Now, i think this can be avoided by putting a wooden coffee stirrer, or skewer, or any microwave-safe item in the cooking vessel.

Yes, i know "stupid", frequently useless stuff :).

I have some pretty bad burn scars from this happening..... never will boil water in the microwave again.

I'm a southern girl... most of my friends and family can't believe I refuse to eat the following... they act like I'm committing a crime by not eating this stuff...

I don't eat black-eyed peas... they look and smell like dirty socks...

I don't eat okra... Nope not putting that slimy veggie in my mouth..

I don't eat, Lima beans, kidney beans, Navy beans... I don't care how you cook them, what you put in them... the smell and they way they look ... makes me just shutter...

I don't like corn bread for the most part... I would eat my granny's, as it was fluffy, sweet and cake like and not at all dry... and I haven't eaten cornbread since my granny went to heaven... nothing can compare...

I don't eat biscuits and gravy - not a gravy person and I don't like how it looks... and chicken and waffles together is just weird to me, separate them and I'm good to go...

Just say no to buttermilk... no way could I ever think about drinking it plain, just the smell makes me gag... I have used it making dressing, and other dishes, it does add alot of flavor... still not drinking it...

No thanks to eggnog... tapioca and rice pudding... and not really a fan of bread puddings, a texture thing...

Nope to cottage cheese... texture thing, and they way it looks...

NO to.... turnips, rutabaga's, hog jowls, pigs feet, chitterlings ( Chitlins), pickled eggs, pickled beets, ox tails, rocky mountain oysters, blood sausage, head cheese, tongue, hearts, kidneys, gizzards, ears, feet, brains ... of any animal...

I'm sure there's more... that's all I can think off right now

I'm a southern girl... most of my friends and family can't believe I refuse to eat the following... they act like I'm committing a crime by not eating this stuff...

I don't eat, Lima beans, kidney beans, Navy beans... I don't care how you cook them, what you put in them... the smell and they way they look ... makes me just shutter...

I don't like corn bread for the most part... I would eat my granny's, as it was fluffy, sweet and cake like and not at all dry... and I haven't eaten cornbread since my granny went to heaven... nothing can compare...

I don't eat biscuits and gravy - not a gravy person and I don't like how it looks... and chicken and waffles together is just weird to me, separate them and I'm good to go...

Just say no to buttermilk... no way could I ever think about drinking it plain, just the smell makes me gag... I have used it making dressing, and other dishes, it does add alot of flavor... still not drinking it...

No thanks to eggnog... tapioca and rice pudding... and not really a fan of bread puddings, a texture thing...

NO to.... turnips, rutabaga's, hog jowls, pigs feet, chitterlings ( Chitlins), pickled eggs, pickled beets, ox tails, rocky mountain oysters, blood sausage, head cheese, tongue, hearts, kidneys, gizzards, ears, feet, brains ... of any animal...

Literally your entire post is me except I like rice pudding, bread pudding, and cottage cheese.

I love chick peas but I HATE hummus. Its a texture thing i guess.
I also really wanted to love shrimp (and all shellfish), but i cant stand it. Totally skeeves me out. 🤢 I get sick every time i eat it.
I like tomatoes but i'll never touch salsa with chips unless it has sour cream with it. or cheese. Just no.
Cant stand eggplant, turnip, okra, rutabaga, and eggnog. Yuck.

Literally your entire post is me except I like rice pudding, bread pudding, and cottage cheese.

It's really not the taste as much as the texture... and bread pudding looks like it would be really good, and then I try to eat it... Nope, can't get past the texture...

Never had them.

I agree what I can get around here is slimy, but I've enjoyed it fried when traveling.

I used to like Lima beans as a kid, but lost my taste for them. The others I'm OK with, but I really only encounter them in chili and stuff.

Agreed. I'll eat it, but I don't go looking for it.

Not much of a gravy person either.

I had no idea anyone just drank it! I though it was just a baking ingredient.

(Or something Mrs. Zuckerman bathed pigs in. 🐷🕷)

Ditto

I'm OK with it, but DH hates it, so I don't bother buying it. I don't like it enough to miss it.

SO agree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter