Splash Mountain "dark" area

4littleones

DIS Veteran
When my kids were younger my son went on splash with his grandparents and freaked about the dark portion of the ride. I haven't been on it in years. I tried to POV Youtube it and while it is very dark, I have no idea what the experience is during that time. Does it go down? Stay straight? Go up? Curve?

Just hoping to prepare my more nervous children. Thanks in advance.

When my kids were younger my son went on splash with his grandparents and freaked about the dark portion of the ride. I haven't been on it in years. I tried to POV Youtube it and while it is very dark, I have no idea what the experience is during that time. Does it go down? Stay straight? Go up? Curve?

Just hoping to prepare my more nervous children. Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly, there is a drop while in the dark, not a big one. But I can't remember where it is in the ride.
Sorry, not much help. Hopefully others who have ridden it more can give more details

The dark section is when you enter the laughing place portion of the ride, it’s a small double drop. Meaning you go down a small drop then immediately back up a small hill and then another small drop. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

I'd describe that as more of an undulating motion, just rolling smoothly on the track. It's not really meant to be scary, nor do you feel anything in the pit of your stomach like the (spoiler alert) grand finale drop which actually is far more freaky.

The dark section is when you enter the laughing place portion of the ride, it’s a small double drop. Meaning you go down a small drop then immediately back up a small hill and then another small drop. Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes, it's right at the Laughing Place entrance. It's really quite small, as described above. But for whatever reason, I have to say I don't like it either. And I love RnR (my favorite ride in WDW), Space, 7DMT, EE, you name it. I even drive race cars for a hobby, so motion doesn't bother me...though I don't like spinning around like MS Orange does. I think maybe it's the fact that it's absolutely pitch dark, but I just don't like that part. I love the rest of the ride, but that part makes me grit my teeth.

This is such an interesting post to me because Splash has always been my favorite ride and I was terrified of the dark as a child. I have no memory of disliking any part of the ride! I have nothing helpful to add but thanks for posting- my daughter isn't crazy about the dark and now I'm curious to see what her reaction to Splash will be!

As you start going up for the big drop, you hear the vultures saying, “This is my laughing place.” That’s my queue to take off my glasses and tuck them into my bag.

That’s a dark and kinda scary part of the ride.

The laughing place dark spot is more like a small roller coaster in that section since it's on tracks and not floating in water. It is really short though - down, up, down - maybe 10 feet or so each way...

The laughing place dark spot is more like a small roller coaster in that section since it's on tracks and not floating in water. It is really short though - down, up, down - maybe 10 feet or so each way...

Perfect description! I dislike this part more than the large drop, I don't mean to scare OP though. I have only ridden it once since I dislike large drops, and I wasn't prepared for it so my stomach did a major flip flop! If I were to ride it again though I would say looking back, it was not too bad. What I find helps is clench your abs/stomach and press your feet into the floor and it really works against feeling the tummy drop sensation. I was also scared of the PoTC drop when, as a child, I was surprised by it but I don't fear that anymore either. I would say this drop in Splash is a bit worse for me than the big one but other PPs have described it well and it's not TOO terrifying, I wouldn't let it deter me from riding again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter