Split Stay MDE/MD Issues

disneynutz

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I think that this was posted before but I thought that I would share our experience.

In the past you could check in to your new resort and get your room key prior to checking out of your old resort. Not now with the recent software changes.

You can check in but you can't get a key until after your check out at the old resort, problem is the old resort may not check you out. 3:00 PM and we couldn't get into our room at BWV due to the software issue. It took a few trips to the room and 45 minutes at the front desk, a call to support and a couple of trips to the "back room" by the CM to get us access to our room.

While waiting we noticed several check ins having MB issues. The CM said that there was some type of outage and they had to issue replacement bands to many of the check ins. The place was packed and people were upset.

:earsboy: Bill

Last month, we had three segments during our stay. When we moved from Art of Animation to BLT, the BLT front desk CM checked via her computer that we were checked out of AoA before she processed our check in. Then, when we moved from BLT to AKV, the AKV front desk made sure we were checked out of BLT before we checked into AKV.

For us, everything went smoothly and we had no problems with our MagicBands or getting access to our rooms.

I had read posts from people saying that the new MagicBand system requires that you check out of your old resort room before you check into a new room. That may be true, but it appears that the CMs at the new resort can take care of that for the guest. There shouldn't be anything extraordinary that the guest has to do.

Hopefully everything is settled and working out OK with your MagicBands.

This is an interesting point. On this last trip, we didn't have any problem at the new resort, but we checked in at around 3:00, so we'd probably been checked out of the previous resort. However, I know that one time we got to the new resort at 10:45 am. With the new system, that might be a problem.

If you have to be checked out of your old resort before you are checked into your new resort, does this cause a problem if you have DDP attached to your reservation? Will it clear entitlements left from the first reservation from MDE in order to add the new ones, or will it be able to combine the two sets, and know which ones to use first/which expire at midnight? This could be a headache...

Our trip in August they were having problems with this so we made a point of going to the front desk and physically checking out at each resort before we left. It seemed to cause less problems with KTTW.

As for dining plan we don't use it but i had heard the points no longer expire at midnight but on check out but i might be wrong.

If you have to be checked out of your old resort before you are checked into your new resort, does this cause a problem if you have DDP attached to your reservation? Will it clear entitlements left from the first reservation from MDE in order to add the new ones, or will it be able to combine the two sets, and know which ones to use first/which expire at midnight? This could be a headache...

My guess is yes, it will probably clear the DDP. It's happened to me several times in the past when I've switched resorts. Even getting the new resort to attempt a fix has failed. I've had to pay and get reimbursed.

Last attempt at Dining plan, we used up our credits before our next check in.

We had a 3 way split stay in November and at Resorts #2 and 3 we checked in at each of them by 10:00 AM (probably by 9:00 at BLT). We did not have any problems.

We did notice that not all of the employees were fully versed in the the MDEx and MBs. The worse misinformation given was that the information of your credit card and room key were added to the Magic Bands (everything is added to your My Magic Experience account). And since we were doing split stays that we could only use our MBs for that segment for that resort. (DH and I could use all three MBs, six total, for each resort and and all of the WDW parks for the entire stay.

I think that this was posted before but I thought that I would share our experience.

In the past you could check in to your new resort and get your room key prior to checking out of your old resort. Not now with the recent software changes.

You can check in but you can't get a key until after your check out at the old resort, problem is the old resort may not check you out. 3:00 PM and we couldn't get into our room at BWV due to the software issue. It took a few trips to the room and 45 minutes at the front desk, a call to support and a couple of trips to the "back room" by the CM to get us access to our room.

While waiting we noticed several check ins having MB issues. The CM said that there was some type of outage and they had to issue replacement bands to many of the check ins. The place was packed and people were upset.

I wonder if this is a training issue (or maybe some type of outage as you say) because we had no problems with our recent split stay - 2 nights at BLT (11/30-12/2) and 5 nights at BWV (12/2 - 12/7). We got KTTW cards and our MBs were activated. We used both the cards & the MBs interchangeably during our stay.

When we checked in at BWV, the CM did ask if we had checked out of BLT. I told him we assumed that the express check out took care of what we needed to do. He did something in the computer and finished up our check in. Everything worked just fine. Whole process was quick and easy for us. This was mid-morning.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

We were told later today when discussing the issue with a senior CM at BWV, the resorts are supposed to automaticity check you out at around 11:30 AM. If you check out at the front desk then I guess that would fix the problem but most use express check out and never go to the desk.

We also found out the your charging pins are reset at the new resort, I had to put my pin back in and my pin was used for everyone in our party. I was told that each member of our party could come to the front desk and reset their pin if they wanted to.

We were told later today when discussing the issue with a senior CM at BWV, the resorts are supposed to automaticity check you out at around 11:30 AM. If you check out at the front desk then I guess that would fix the problem but most use express check out and never go to the desk.
Wow! If true, they certainly have an incentive to somehow fix that - I can't imagine they have the staff in place for everyone to go to the front desk to check out. We sure didn't and we checked into the BWV before 10 am. Again, the BWV CM checked out out of BLT. Must have taken him all of 30 seconds to do so.

We also found out the your charging pins are reset at the new resort, I had to put my pin back in and my pin was used for everyone in our party. I was told that each member of our party could come to the front desk and reset their pin if they wanted to.

That wasn't true for us, either. :confused3 The BWV reservation continued to use the same pin and credit card as we gave for BLT reservation. We didn't reset the pin and didn't have to re-enter a credit card. The CM told us everything remained the same. (All he could see was the last 4 digits of the cc which was as it should be).

I don't doubt that anyone on the reservation can reset their pin at any time by going to the front desk, but at least for us, nothing was automatically reset (or zeroed out) when we moved from BLT to BWV. I wish CMs wouldn't make stuff up when they don't know for sure. You just never know what info you can count on.

The next time you have a chance to talk to that CM, ask them if the CMs at the second resort can check the guest out at the first guest before they initiate the check-in process at the second resort.

We used express check out during our latest trip and checked in at the next resort before 11:30 AM each time; and each time we had no problems using our MagicBands at the subsequent resort.

I'm sure Disney wants to cut down on the number of times guests have to interact with the front desk. That is one reason Disney encourages guests to use Express checkout and to have their portfolios emailed rather than hand delivered to the room. If guests have to contact the front desk to force the check out, then it defeats the purpose of automating the check out process.

Where do we get the pin numbers? Do they come with the MBs or do I just not remember:scratchin I made one when I ordered my MBs.
Also do we have to put a credit card down?

Where do we get the pin numbers? Do they come with the MBs or do I just not remember:scratchin I made one when I ordered my MBs.
Also do we have to put a credit card down?

When I set up My Disney Experience account I added a pin number for myself and family. And then when we went to the resort they confirmed the number. However, for the life of me I cannot find where I entered the pin numbers. It is possible it was when I added a credit card, but there is no space to change the pin number.

I know you can change or add your pin number at the Front Desk, Concierge, Guest Relations or possibly with one of the Navy blue shirted CM's that work the FP+ kiosks in the parks (not the CM's in teal shirts they only do FP+).

Regarding the credit card it will help you with your ADRs. You now have to have a credit card for all ADRs and by having it on your MDE account you will just need to confirm that is the credit card you want to use. It really quicken the time it takes to make an ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter