Split Stay Problem

FirstTimeDisneyVisit

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone
We finally did our first split stay AKL-Poly and my god what a nightmare.We left AKL on a Sunday and was told our bags will be in our room at 4pm. I figured that was wrong and asked again when we dropped our bags off at 10am @AKL and was told more like 6pm. We headed to Epcot with the idea to leave when i room was ready and see if our bags would be there, At 345 we got the text and headed over got to our room and no bags ! Called down stairs to see if they where there and i could pick them up they said they have not arrived yet. 6pm comes along and still no bag we are told Jambo House is very slow and are looking at an 8pm arrival. We head to Epcot to take advantage of the Monorail and figured at least our bags will be back after the fire works. WRONG !!! WE get into our room at 1015 PM and our bags are still not there ! For me to get mad about something im telling you it takes a lot , We have a 2 year old and needed his things for his bath change of clothes and what not. I call downstairs and they have no idea why our bags have not arrived and will have them up in 15 minutes. I tell my wife if they are not up here by 1030PM im heading down there , 1030 comes along and still no bags ! I decided not to go down there bc i do not want to make a seen but im really upset at this point and i call again. Lady downstairs apoliges again and personally guarntess my bags will be there in 15 minutes, Finally 1045pm our bags are in our room !!!! almost 13 hrs since we dropped them off for a simple split stay !!! Has anyone else had that problem?

I have never had this problem. I only do split stays when I DVC so typically I put essentials into carry-on and I don't care if my luggage arrives or not. But I always rent a car at Disney so that gives me a little more flexibility.

I have never had this problem. I only do split stays when I DVC so typically I put essentials into carry-on and I don't care if my luggage arrives or not. But I always rent a car at Disney so that gives me a little more flexibility.

We're doing split-stays on our upcoming honeymoon. In your experience did they get there around 4pm, check-in time? Hoping that @FirstTimeDisneyVisit's experience is a fluke :rolleyes2 sorry that happened to you

I can't honestly tell you when our luggage has arrived because we fly in from the West Coast so typically our flights get into Orlando after 5PM.

We have a tradition.We go straight to Magic Kingdom and ride Small World. That signifies the beginning of our actual vacation.

So when we return from the park our bags have been waiting there 100% of the time. But that gives them anywhere from 2 to 4 hours depending on our arrival time for Disney to get our luggage to us.

Again, on moving days we put essentials in a separate bag and put it in the car before we head to the parks. Again, that gives them all day to get our luggage moved and we have never arrived before our luggage. But my split stays are rarely out of necessity. I don't do split stays because I couldn't get the reservation I wanted. We do split stays for a ton of other reasons. Mostly to eke out extra benefits, experience different resorts, and save money.

What I'm saying is, when we split stay we are prepared, flexible and mobile and we have a plan so we are never really at the whim of black magic to hamper our trips.

If you are changing resorts (many times I actually split stay at the same resort) I would recommend you get your luggage down to bell services and head out for the whole day. Your luggage will get to where it needs to go but your room probably won't be ready until 4pm or later.

Use the move day to watch fireworks from Bay Lake Towers if you're moving to a monorail resort or Wilderness Lodge or get up early and do your Rise of Resistance day if your moving over to Boardwalk or Beach Club. It's nice to have little routines if you split stay a lot, that way you can be prepared without thinking.

Another strategy I have used is if I am doing a split stay to buy a single day of deluxe dining I will do a "Gypsy" day. Book breakfast, lunch and dinner at different resorts. Bring swimming trunks and hit a few pools if you feel like it.

Treat the day as if you're homeless and you will be fine.

Sorry your bags were delayed so much on transfer day, especially with a toddler. Our bags have arrived at our new resort by 6pm on transition days with split stays. But I have been on the receiving end of ridiculously slow, late night luggage delivery from the airport and it’s frustrating.

To reduce the chance for errors or delays on split stay transition days, I sometimes use Lyft or Uber to move the bags myself and leave them with bell services at the new resort until our room is ready. One adult can move the bags while the rest of the group heads to a park.

We do split stays every March. i have sent them with the bell services and they have always arrived before 4, which is the promised time. But I usually just grab an Uber or taxi and head over to the next resort and Leave our bags until room is ready, then we go to the pool or head over to DS for lunch. But I don’t have ME deliver my bags either. I much prefer knowing exactly where they are at all times, I’m guessing your bags arrived so late because they got left at AK and no one could Find them.

In case you didn't know, with a split stay, your bags won't be delivered to your room until you call them to let them know you are ready for them.
Both resorts said our bags would be in our room so dont believe that is correct. Also i called multiple times lookign for the bags and still didnt get them till 1045

We're doing split-stays on our upcoming honeymoon. In your experience did they get there around 4pm, check-in time? Hoping that @FirstTimeDisneyVisit's experience is a fluke :rolleyes2 sorry that happened to you
I assume it was a fluke everyone at Disney assured me this was a one time thing so i diffidently believe them. It sucks it was our firs time doing this and I'm scarred to do it again lol . Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon !

This is always my fear... or worse, they get lost in the shuffle. That is why every time we split stay we just take our bags via uber to the new resort, leave the bags with bell services and head off to the days activities. When our new room is ready, we pick up our bags in the lobby. No worrying, no waiting.

I’m so sorry you had to deal with this-we’ve been members since 2003 and have had our bags and food transferred numerous times. We usually get to the resort after lunch and our bags were there when we arrived. I hope you give them another chance and it isn’t an issue for you again.

That fear is always in the back of my mind when we do split stays, but so far, we haven't had any issues. They always tell us the bags won't get delivered to the new resort until sometime between 3-6pm. So, we just plan to not have them until at least 6pm. We now pick our bags up when we get to the new resort, instead of having them delivered to our room. We tried having them delivered a couple of times, but they always seem to take so long.

I think this is the best way to.do it. You're in or near the lobby and it's easy enough just to roll your own bags up.

I’m split staying in Dec. but driving so don’t see any bag issues. My only concern is when room will be ready. Does anyone have any insight on this? The 2nd half check in will be at AKV.

I’m split staying in Dec. but driving so don’t see any bag issues. My only concern is when room will be ready. Does anyone have any insight on this? The 2nd half check in will be at AKV.
Official time is 4:00, but we've always had our room ready well in advance of that when using online check-in. Plenty of people have to wait until 4PM check-in though, so I wouldn't count on having a room before then.

Both resorts said our bags would be in our room so dont believe that is correct. Also i called multiple times lookign for the bags and still didnt get them till 1045

That is weird. I've done six or seven split stays and have never had our bags in the room. We've always had to stop off at Bell Services to let them know our room number (or call them from the room) to let them know we were there. Course, we did have refrigerated items, so that might have made a difference.

That is weird. I've done six or seven split stays and have never had our bags in the room. We've always had to stop off at Bell Services to let them know our room number (or call them from the room) to let them know we were there. Course, we did have refrigerated items, so that might have made a difference.
Same here. We just did one in Dec form VGF to OKW and were told we would have to let bell services at OKW know when we arrived and wanted our bag.

I assume it was a fluke everyone at Disney assured me this was a one time thing so i diffidently believe them. It sucks it was our firs time doing this and I'm scarred to do it again lol . Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon !
We always do a split stay and usually never have problems. We did have an issue one time and it also was at AK.

Whenever we have done a split stay, which is most of the times, the bags aren't in our room by 4 or 5pm when we checkin to our room either but then we call and they bring them up.

AKL in my opinion does not have their act together. We were surprised when we got a text that our room was ready at 1 p.m and arrived in our room around 2 p.m at AKL Jambo house. When we walked into the room, there were several pieces of luggage in the room. We had our with us and we were not expecting a luggage delivery. Called to bell services and had some come and get the luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter