Split WDW/Universal or All Disney all the time?

I would go with 2-3 nights (depending on your arrival time) at Universal and the rest at Disney. We got a 3 day park-to-park pass for Universal and it was the perfect amount of time there for us. We hit each park one day (and a little back and forth with the HP attractions) and then used the 3rd day to go back and do our favorites again. We would've been fine without the 3rd day, but the difference in the ticket price was minimal, so we went for it. We stayed at Cabana Bay. It was a fun resort. There is a bus that takes you to the parks or you can walk. If I were to do it again, and my budget allowed, I would go for one of the higher-end on-site resorts.

I would allow at least 4 nights at Disney if you really want to experience "the bubble" effect. For me, I find anything shorter just isn't enough time for me to let go of the outside world.

It sounds like a fabulous trip!! Have a great time!!
Are 4 Disney days enough? I’ve never been to HS, I spent an afternoon in Epcot 25 years ago, a day in AK 3 years ago and I’ve been to magic kingdom a few times now. Am I shortchanging myself on Disney or is 4 days plenty since I’ll be solo and will sort of be more focused and (in theory) can get fast passes easier?

There is so much to do at Disney, even as a solo I can't get it all done in 4 days. You will need to prioritize

We have done the split Universal/WDW twice in all the years we have been going. The last time was about 7 years ago so before Harry Potter and we just weren't crazy about Universal so decided it wasn't worth it for us. Mind you, we aren't ride centric and now that I'm older thrill rides do nothing for me. We have talked about tacking a day on to do Harry Potter but we know that would require two tickets since it's in two parks and does have thrill rides so we just can't seem to justify the cost. I have done Disney solo many times, I have been doing it every year at least once a year for about 4 years now, I have been doing every other year with my son for about 34 years now and now my son has been going at least once a year with me for 3 years. My solo stays started with 4 days and have now extended to 7 days but I go during F&W and spend a part of each day there doing the booths and special meals. While I have noticed it is more crowded it doesn't seem horrible to me but, again, not ride centric so I'm not trying to ride as many rides as I can.

2 days universal and 5 days Disney is a fantastic plan. We did that in 2016, in September, so we got through everything in all parks that we wanted to. We stayed offsite for that trip though.

I've got 2 rooms booked for my family for 8 nights at RPR club level for Thanksgiving week. We'll probably go to WDW at the beginning of the week for 3 days, no parks on Thanksgiving day, and then 3 at Universal. We no longer have any need to stay at Disney resorts.

Just a note about Feb crowds... There's a Disney marathon weekend in there (the week after President's Day). Also, we've been to Universal over President's Day weekend, and it gets very crowded as the weekend goes on. Express pass definitely helps (and we love the Royal Pacific) but just getting around, and getting quick service can be a nightmare.

We love Harry Potter but always end up comparing the rest of Universal to Disney, and Disney does the immersive theming so. much. better.

I think the 5-to-2 day ratio sounds perfect!

Just a note about Feb crowds... There's a Disney marathon weekend in there (the week after President's Day). Also, we've been to Universal over President's Day weekend, and it gets very crowded as the weekend goes on. Express pass definitely helps (and we love the Royal Pacific) but just getting around, and getting quick service can be a nightmare.

We love Harry Potter but always end up comparing the rest of Universal to Disney, and Disney does the immersive theming so. much. better.

I think the 5-to-2 day ratio sounds perfect!
Yeah, it seems like it’s going to be hard to avoid marathons and cheerleading/dance events. But it also seems like you either have to contend with crowds or weather akin to the surface of the sun. It is making lean towards a moderate resort to avoid the cheerleaders though. It sounds like it makes Pop more crowded during those events from what I’m reading.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter