Spring break trip report (March 10-17th)

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
What a fun, memorable, but exhausting trip! We took our 9 year old son on a surprise trip for spring break March 10-17th. Overall I was really pleased with this experience, just as we had been two years ago when we went.

We stayed once again at Port Orleans Riverside. What a fantastic resort! We stayed in one of the Royal Rooms, and it was very clean and in good condition when we arrived. I remember 2 years ago seeing some scuff marks on the walls and rust spots in the bathrooms in our Royal Room, and being slightly turned off by it. But this time it was much better. The new beds were also a noticeable upgrade from our previous trip. These new beds were much more comfortable than the old mattresses that were as hard as a brick! We did have an issue the first couple of nights with our air conditioner. No matter how low I set the temperature, the thermostat wouldn't go below 70, and it just felt uncomfortable. Our air conditioner was also extremely noisy with rattles. I decided to call maintenance, and someone showed up within 30 minutes of my call. The maintenance person pulled out our a/c unit and saw that the filter was extremely dirty. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned in forever! He took the filter out and came back a few minutes later (after I assume hosing it off). Now the a/c unit worked much better and started cooling the room nicely and no more rattles!
We were also pleasantly surprised when the one night we decided to take our son to the arcade at the resort, they had a Free Play night! All the games were completely free! I'm not sure if it had something to do with the temperatures dropping so low and going to the pool was pretty much out of the question, or if this is something they commonly do, but it was a nice surprise.

I thought all of the interactions with all the staff at all the parks, resorts, and restaurants were great.

We really didn't have many issues with Disney transportation. The only thing that kind of upset me was that Animal Kingdom seemed to be the only park that combined the French Quarter and the Riverside resorts into one bus. This led to an extremely long line forming. To Disney's credit they did send another bus immediately to handle the crowd, but all the other parks seem to separate the two resorts, so I don't know why Animal Kingdom doesn't as well.

I was surprised how much more crowded it seemed this time than even two years ago. Sometimes the crowds got to be a bit much. I'm glad we did quite a few rope drop days, so we could get on a lot of rides before the crowds really started getting bad.

All in all it was a great trip. Great food. Great rides. Great memories. We probably won't be going back for at least 5 years. We really want to wait until all the new attractions for the 50th anniversary are completed.

I am so glad to see an overwhelmingly positive report. I think about my upcoming trip daily (as do most on these boards), and have been getting really bummed hearing many negative things about WDW lately.

However, the negatives you report seem typical (i,e crowds getting to be a bit much as the day progresses).

I agree with you in terms of waiting till a lot of things are done. I can't imagine what crowds will be like for the 50th!

Glad you had a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!