SSR/AKV transit times

lrich5

Earning My Ears
We are researching options for our first DVC purchase and have narrowed it down to Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom. Looking for experience/advice on transportation from each resort, both to the parks and to other resorts (like for an early breakfast reservation). Thanks for any insights!

I think animal Kingdom Lodge is a much better resort then Saratoga springs. However there are definite differences.

Saratoga springs is much more spread out. As a result there are multiple bus stops. This sounds like no big deal, but each stop can add anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or two each time. And you may need to walk a fair distance to get one.

Animal kingdom lodges consists of two buildings Jambo house and Kidani village. Each building has a bus stop. Generally the buses come first to Kidani village then drive the few minutes to Jambo house. Distance on the road is 0.4 miles. After that they really don’t take much longer to get anywhere in the park than almost anywhere else.

Animal Kingdom Lodges are far and away the closest by bus to animal kingdom park. They aren’t that much farther from Hollywood studios or Epcot. Magic Kingdom is of course quite a ways away but it will be similar time, I think from Saratoga springs.

Of course both AKV buildings are very large and it is about a quarter-mile to walk from the far end of Kidani to the lobby. If you walk from Kidani to Jambo House, it is another quarter-mile. Unless you start on the end that is closest to Jambo.

Measurements below are estimates from Google Maps.

Distance from Jambo house to animal kingdom park is about a mile, and takes about 5 minutes.

Distance from Jambo house to Hollywood studios is about 3.25 miles, 8 minutes.

Distance from Jambo house to Epcot is about 5.9 miles, 12 minutes.

Distance from Jambo house to Magic Kingdom is about 6.8 miles, 13 minutes.

Distance from Saratoga springs to Epcot is about 3.7 miles, 9 minutes

Distance from Saratoga springs to Hollywood studios is about 4.9 miles, 15 minutes

Distance from Saratoga springs to animal kingdom park is about 7 miles, 13 minutes

Distance from Saratoga springs to Magic Kingdom is about 4.8 miles, 11 minutes

So, according to Google maps, and based on the way the roads are laid out, it looks like travel time from animal kingdom to the parks on an average is possibly just a bit better than from Saratoga springs. But it depends on the park.

I’ve never stayed at SSR, but I’ve read that the buses are extra full these days because people park for free at DS and walk over to catch park buses from SSR. SSR is very convenient to DS being adjacent to it.
Going from resort to resort via Disney transportation is an issue no matter where you are staying, although some areas have clusters of resorts w/ easier transportation between them such as the MK monorail/boat resorts.
From AKV we typically bus to the park near where we are eating and then either monorail (GF, Poly, Contemp. restaurants) or boat (all MK resorts and WL and from the front of DHS for BC/YC, BW restaurants.) Getting back just reverse the route - but watch for late dinners next to early closing parks as you don’t want to try and catch a bus after they’ve stopped running to that park. In a pinch you can Uber/Lyft back.
AKV/AKL has 3 great restaurants - Sanaa, Jiko and Boma.

Last edited:
I don't think there is much difference between the buses at SSR and AKV. Their themes are very different though. AKV is great, especially for those with little kids that love animals, but we love our SSR. One of the pluses that we've come to love are the SSR boats to Disney Springs (or walk based upon where you are). DW and I have started to take parkless/kidless vacations at SSR and spend time just at the resort and Disney Springs, no parks. There are so many choices for good places to eat now at Disney Springs. Buying SSR also gives you 11 month booking on the treehouses. Of course you'll only ever see an AKV club or value if you own there. Both have their pluses.

Regarding the SSR buses being full due to people coming from Disney Springs, this only affects the Congress Park and Springs stops. Those are the last two. If you ever want to guarantee yourself a spot on the bus, pick it up at the Grandstand (first stop). If it fills up, it will be at the last couple of stops, but you'll already have a seat. Works great from the Treehouses too. We use the buses from SSR all the time and rarely have issues.

I don't think that you'll go wrong with either resort, but I wouldn't base it on the bus schedules. Just my opinion.

What is the bus service like from SSR to Disney Springs?
Last we rode it, it was not so hot. It was combined with the internal shuttle. AFAIR it originates at The Springs stop, then runs the SSR 5 stop loop. Leaving The Springs the second time it goes left on DVC drive, left Bonnet Creek and left on Buena vista to the bus lane. On the way back it follows the reverse route but enters the complex on Broadway, but rolls past the Congress Park stop to begin the loop again at The Springs.
Needless to say it is a nice (better) walk to/from DS unless that is not an option for you.

We are researching options for our first DVC purchase and have narrowed it down to Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom. Looking for experience/advice on transportation from each resort, both to the parks and to other resorts (like for an early breakfast reservation). Thanks for any insights!

We were at AK-Jambo last month and I posted bus times on the Aug 2018 thread.

MK: 21 mins
HS: 12 mins
Epcot: 14 mins
AK: 5 mins

Getting back from the parks is an extra 2 mins since the bus stops at Kidani first.

If you are staying at Kidani, then add 2 minutes on to the ride to the park because you have to stop at Jambo first. DS was approximately the same time as MK. We went to GF for breakfast twice and just grabbed a cab.

Most times we were able to get on the first bus but we had to wait for a second bus twice, once going to a park (HS? MK?) and once coming home at park close after watching fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter