St Jude Memphis Half

ChattaDIS

Mouseketeer
has anyone run this or is running this year. Just registered and wondering what to expect.

There are 4 of us from the board running the half together. I'm undertrained so I'll be mostly walking it along with the other undertrained person. The other two will run.

I arrive in Memphis at like 11:30pm Thursday and leave Sunday at 4pm

There are 4 of us from the board running the half together. I'm undertrained so I'll be mostly walking it along with the other undertrained person. The other two will run.

I arrive in Memphis at like 11:30pm Thursday and leave Sunday at 4pm

I'm very interested in this race. I saw someone from St Jude speak at a conference earlier this year and it got me really excited about doing something that would benefit them.

I live in east tn so going to come over Friday and back after the race. Where you all staying?

I'm running the 10k this year. I've run the 5k the past two years. Last year the weather was chilly and became drizzly as the day progressed. The weather is forecasted to be decent, with the 10K start time being around 40*. Depending on the course that you are following, there may be some rolling hills. Nothing major, but Memphis is not entirely flat.

If you are driving to the expo bring cash. The parking lots around the Cook Convention center requirement, usually $10. If going after dark walk as a group as the area can be sketchy. Unfortunately I have to go after work and alone, so just be mindful of your surroundings. Race morning parking in the garage near Peabody Place is decent, although fills up. Lots surrounding FedEx forum and downtown will fill up and will run $10-20 cash.

If you are driving to the starting area, be sure to arrive early. My friend and I usually leave my house around 4:45-5am in order to ensure that we find parking. And we only live about 15 miles away in the suburbs.

I'm very interested in this race. I saw someone from St Jude speak at a conference earlier this year and it got me really excited about doing something that would benefit them.

Definitely an incredible experience especially if St Jude is important to you. The energy that the city brings to this is incredible and running throuh the hospital and the emotions around the cause is incredible

I did the half and thought the course was pretty fair with good support. I am not sure what the full would be as you split off about mile 11.

The post race was also very well done.

Definitely an incredible experience especially if St Jude is important to you. The energy that the city brings to this is incredible and running throuh the hospital and the emotions around the cause is incredible

I did the half and thought the course was pretty fair with good support. I am not sure what the full would be as you split off about mile 11.

The post race was also very well done.
The full had plenty of water stations, which were much easier to get to once all the 5k runners split off, then later the half runners. Crowd support was sporadic (some residents had water stations, beer, candy...I was craving orange slices, but the closest was some orange juice). Aid stations were minimal to Vaseline and band aids. The biggest issues with this course is 1)corral anarchy, too many people chose to be in an earlier corral which caused tons of congestion. 2)Complete congestion once the 5k runners/walkers merged in with half and full...it was far too packed and unfair for the distance runners. 3) hydration stations on only one side of the road at the beginning, thus meant many times water was unattainable due to the congestion.

The full had plenty of water stations, which were much easier to get to once all the 5k runners split off, then later the half runners. Crowd support was sporadic (some residents had water stations, beer, candy...I was craving orange slices, but the closest was some orange juice). Aid stations were minimal to Vaseline and band aids. The biggest issues with this course is 1)corral anarchy, too many people chose to be in an earlier corral which caused tons of congestion. 2)Complete congestion once the 5k runners/walkers merged in with half and full...it was far too packed and unfair for the distance runners. 3) hydration stations on only one side of the road at the beginning, thus meant many times water was unattainable due to the congestion.

Yeah. Totally agree. I started in Corral 5 and was shocked at how packed the first couple of miles were with walkers already. Kid of disappointed. I also agree about the hydration was kind of wonky and created some havoc. I totally missed the second station until it was too late which after skipping the first caused me some problems.

Yeah. Totally agree. I started in Corral 5 and was shocked at how packed the first couple of miles were with walkers already. Kid of disappointed. I also agree about the hydration was kind of wonky and created some havoc. I totally missed the second station until it was too late which after skipping the first caused me some problems.
I chose corral 7 because it is my half pace, and I maintain that pace until around mile 10 when I do a full (eventually I slow to save energy for the long haul). Never appreciated Disney's proof of time requirement until this race

Definitely. I had a horrible race but I blame myself because the preparation was neglected. I was not as disciplined in pace as I should of been which makes me want to do this race again. I got kind of peeved by the first couple of miles and pushed myself too hard and paid for it the last half of the race.

I really thought the sense of community and cause in this race was much better in this race than a Disney race. It was also pretty tight in the first couple miles compared to disney races

I know that congestion in the 5k corrals was an issue the last few years. If I recall correctly, last year the 5 and 10k started together. This year they were separate (YAY!). But people seem to hop in wherever they wish and disregard the pacing signs. I did a fair amount of weaving around walkers the first mile, and I am not fast. I started in coral 8, maybe 9. There are plenty of people who also have no clue of race etiquette, and many that do continue to disregard it. I see it at many of the local (Memphis) races. I think that they need to change the start times so that the half/full runners start first and are off the first part of the course before the 10 and 5 K start to reduce the crowding and weaving that the distance runners have to do around the walkers/4 across groups.

Check your email for a survey regarding the race. Improvements can't be made unless they are known.

I know that congestion in the 5k corrals was an issue the last few years. If I recall correctly, last year the 5 and 10k started together. This year they were separate (YAY!). But people seem to hop in wherever they wish and disregard the pacing signs. I did a fair amount of weaving around walkers the first mile, and I am not fast. I started in coral 8, maybe 9. There are plenty of people who also have no clue of race etiquette, and many that do continue to disregard it. I see it at many of the local (Memphis) races. I think that they need to change the start times so that the half/full runners start first and are off the first part of the course before the 10 and 5 K start to reduce the crowding and weaving that the distance runners have to do around the walkers/4 across groups.

Check your email for a survey regarding the race. Improvements can't be made unless they are known.
Yup, already did the survey with mention of congestion.

I completed the survey as well and provided feedback around merchandise at the expo.

I completed the survey as well and provided feedback around merchandise at the expo.
I wasn't in the market to buy merchandise there (dopey next month), though thought it odd that there was a variety of brands (usually it is just one, i.e. nike, new balance, etc).
I'm 100% sure I won't run this again (it is 12hr drive or requires a flight), I wanted a December full, and this checks off another state...but hope they improve for next year's runners.

I would definitely run it again. As much as the early congestion frustrated me, I thought the race was put together well. And the cause is incredible. The emotion of running through the campus was something I won’t forget and the community was really into it and supportive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!