St Thomas - Magens Bay

When did you go to Linquist Beach? Reason I ask is I think it is now called Secret Sands Beach which is an excursion with DCL. We went there earlier this year. When I was doing research I remember reading that it had once had a different name, Linquist Beach sounds familiar and can't remember if that's what it was called or not. If it was, I agree, it was really nice. Secret Sands is a nature reserve no bars/restaurants but has covered picnic tables and clean bathrooms with showers.

We went in Feb 2017 and the place was pretty much deserted except for and a couple of other people, sad to hear it has made the Cruise Ships itineraries. LOL, Disney may call it 'Secret Sands" but the St. Thomas government website calls it Linquist Beach or Smith Bay Cove

We went in Feb 2017 and the place was pretty much deserted except for and a couple of other people, sad to hear it has made the Cruise Ships itineraries. LOL, Disney may call it 'Secret Sands" but the St. Thomas government website calls it Linquist Beach or Smith Bay Cove

Well, although it's now a ship excursion they only let one ship in at a time and no more than 75 people, so that does keep it from being really crowded like some other beaches. But, yeah I can see how having it all to yourself would be so much nicer. The area we were at was just in one section, so there was a lot of area that had no people or just locals at. When we were there a lot of other ships were in St Thomas also, so I was glad we weren't at one of the other beaches. A lady with her own beach chairs walked by me and we started to talk. She said she was renting a house in St Thomas for a few weeks. She had been to 3 other beaches that morning and they were already really crowded from the ships. A local told her about this beach.

We did this on our own too. We walked off the ship to the gondola, which was important to us, but not sure I'd recommend it to everyone. There were friendly fellow ship mates up there, who had a taxi booked and waiting who was happy to let us join. As said above pricing is PP.
Ride back on our own, just the two of us, we did have to wait until the taxi was almost full.

My review of Megan's Bay. It was beautiful. However, the day after The Baths, it did not measure up. That said, I'm very glad I went. First time in St. Thomas, we took ferry to St. John and the national park. This time, we specifically wanted to see St. Thomas and it is world famous.

Remlap- we are headed to Magens Bay next week...would you suggest we find a different beach?

Question for anyone that is familiar - if we get to Magens and it is crowded or we just want to move on, would it be easy to take a taxi to another beach? If so, where should we go after that?

Magens Bay is a very large beach. A few years back we were there with six ships in port. The beach was busy, but not crowded. If you can walk for five minutes down the beach, you will find plenty of space. Most of the people crowd around the bar and restaurant.

Last edited:
Magens Bay is a very large beach. A few years back we were their with six ships in port. The beach was busy, but not crowded. If you can walk for five minutes down the beach, you will find plenty of space. Most of the people crowd around the bar and restaurant.

Good to know, thank you!!

To each their own. We did not find it difficult to get around, roads were in good shape and wind was never a problem for us. We managed to drive to Coral World, then when it started to get crowded from the Cruis Ship Excursions we went to Linquist Beach

How was coral world?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter